Author Topic: Lakers salary cap situation  (Read 8804 times)

Re: Lakers salary cap situation
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Just for the sake of argument lets say they did get a max free agent for a discount (ie used all their cap space on one player).  They would have I think seven players under contract.  How do they sign additional players?

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Typically "abusing" the "MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY EXCEPTION" part by getting veteran ring chasers that don't care about money to join.

MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY EXCEPTION -- Teams can offer players minimum salary contracts even if they are over the cap. Contracts can be up to two years in length. In a two-year contract, the salary in the second year is specified in the minimum salary scale in effect when the contract was signed (see question number 22). The contract may not contain a bonus of any kind. This exception can also be used to acquire minimum salary players via trade. There is no limit to the number of players that can be signed or acquired using this exception.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:57:48 PM by Erik »

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2019, 03:36:27 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Just for the sake of argument lets say they did get a max free agent for a discount (ie used all their cap space on one player).  They would have I think seven players under contract.  How do they sign additional players?

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Typically "abusing" the "MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY EXCEPTION" part by getting veteran ring chasers that don't care about money to join.

MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY EXCEPTION -- Teams can offer players minimum salary contracts even if they are over the cap. Contracts can be up to two years in length. In a two-year contract, the salary in the second year is specified in the minimum salary scale in effect when the contract was signed (see question number 22). The contract may not contain a bonus of any kind. This exception can also be used to acquire minimum salary players via trade. There is no limit to the number of players that can be signed or acquired using this exception.

The problem is that there are cap holds, each equaling the cost of a minimum veteran, for every roster opening up to 12. I think this is one of the realities limiting how much they can spend on that 3rd guy.

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2019, 10:47:33 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27005071/sources-lakers-hustling-create-max-salary-slot

Can someone explain what this comment in the article means?  I just get lost with all this salary cap stuff.

If Davis doesn't waive his $4.1 million trade bonus, the Lakers-Pelicans trade wouldn't be allowed even if Los Angeles finds a third team for the players not included in the original deal with New Orleans.

I heard he's not waving the bonus but considering he wants to be there if it meant not completing the trade I assume he'd waive it.  My guess is I'm reading this wrong.

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2019, 10:54:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What they are doing is trying to trade their current players for minimum guys who can be waived without cost (or minimal cost) to throw into the Davis trade so they can avoid being forced to use cap space to absorb Davis's contract.

The reason that Davis eats into their max slot is that they don't have enough matching salaries to send out for him.

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2019, 10:57:31 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
What they are doing is trying to trade their current players for minimum guys who can be waived without cost (or minimal cost) to throw into the Davis trade so they can avoid being forced to use cap space to absorb Davis's contract.

The reason that Davis eats into their max slot is that they don't have enough matching salaries to send out for him.

So I'm hoping he won't waive the kicker so they won't have max space but if this plan doesn't work should I just assume he'll waive it so the trade can go through?