Author Topic: Jayson tatum slander all over media  (Read 18574 times)

Jayson tatum slander all over media
« on: February 23, 2024, 09:26:26 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
is it me, or every day do I see in the media why Jayson tatum isn't worthy of being an MVP because he's being carried on a super team, or how he shouldnt be the face of the league because he has "no personality". Or how his playoff performance in the finals 2 years ago should be held against him (but not embiied or Luka)

where is this coming from all of a sudden?

Re: Jayson tatum slander all over media
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 09:30:41 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
is it me, or every day do I see in the media why Jayson tatum isn't worthy of being an MVP because he's being carried on a super team, or how he shouldnt be the face of the league because he has "no personality". Or how his playoff performance in the finals 2 years ago should be held against him (but not embiied or Luka)

Are we sure that a lack of playoff success isn't held against Embiid or Luka?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 10:18:28 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think we're sure with Embiid.  He won MVP last season, and I think he was the favorite before his injury this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 10:49:47 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

I think we're sure with Embiid.  He won MVP last season, and I think he was the favorite before his injury this season.
Would you say he was ever a front-runner for 'being the face of the league', though?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 10:52:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Embiid definitely isn’t held accountable for his playoff failures. Except maybe by Sixers fans.

I think JT should absolutely be in consideration for MVP but I can see how someone like SGA has a strong case for it too
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 11:00:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Would you say he was ever a front-runner for 'being the face of the league', though?

Honestly I don't follow the NBA generally enough to know who is the current face of the league in its marketing materials, etc.  Lebron still dominates a lot of coverage.  Curry is everywhere.  The big "names" I perceive are Luka, Giannis, Joker.  I think Embiid got quite a bit of attention, and that's despite having a trollish personality.  And honestly, I notice Tatum in commercials as much as anybody.  Flaming hot potato chips, gatorade, Subway, and a signature shoe.

I don't know.  Who would you call the league's face?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 11:07:10 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
People just hate Boston sports outside of New England. That's the reality of it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 11:20:38 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

Honestly I don't follow the NBA generally enough to know who is the current face of the league in its marketing materials, etc.  Lebron still dominates a lot of coverage.  Curry is everywhere.  The big "names" I perceive are Luka, Giannis, Joker.  I think Embiid got quite a bit of attention, and that's despite having a trollish personality.  And honestly, I notice Tatum in commercials as much as anybody.  Flaming hot potato chips, gatorade, Subway, and a signature shoe.

I don't know.  Who would you call the league's face?

I think it has to be LeBron and Curry until they hang up their shoes - very similar to latter-day Kobe in that way. They're still two of the top jersey sales after 20+ years in the League (for LeBron, at least) for the first half of the season... But that list has Tatum as number 2:
https://www.nba.com/news/top-selling-jerseys-first-half-2023-24

All that to say that the MVP caveats around Tatum -- that he's always been on pretty good teams, basically -- are equal parts true and beyond his control, but (like you) I don't think the 'slander' equates to any kind of diminished popularity.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 11:34:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Tatum finished 4th in MVP voting last year and was 6th the year before (and 12th before that). He has been in the top 5 of the Kia MVP ladder basically all season long. Tatum was 6th in the straw poll released by ESPN a week or so ago. 

All of that seems about right to me
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I've not seen any of this to be honest, which media are you talking about? Talk radio?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 02:10:42 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Honestly, there are enough hot takes out there that you can find any opinion. I’ve seen a growing number of takes from the media that Tatum is now in the mix. I think those opinions that are contrary to our beliefs are the ones that stick with us and give us the opinion that everyone is against us.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 05:27:45 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366

I've not seen any of this to be honest, which media are you talking about? Talk radio?

Windhorst said his finals performance will be held against him.

Nick wright said Tatum can’t be a future face of the NBA because he has no personality

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 05:41:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Nick wright said Tatum can’t be a future face of the NBA because he has no personality

Same as Duncan.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 06:34:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So compared to Jokic, Gilgeous-Alexander, Luka Dončić and Antetokounmpo, players who are routinely ranked ahead of him in the MVP race, his individual game is not going to give him an edge. That’s fine. He just doesn’t want his past to define his present. “There’s been a lot of talk about that the last couple days, and those guys are putting up ridiculous numbers every game and doing a lot for their teams. I have no problem with those guys being the leaders of the race,” Jayson Tatum said. “I’m not saying I needed to be first. I just had a problem with some people on TV saying the reason I won’t win this year is because of something that happened two years ago.” – via The Athletic

Jayson Tatum told The Athletic earlier this week that he understands he will solely be judged by whether he can win a title. Maybe putting up gigantic numbers would help his MVP candidacy, but Tatum has been through enough winning, with just enough losing in the end, to not make that the priority anymore. “I think it just took some time for me to understand, like, I know I can score 30 a night,” Tatum said. “I did that. But that’s not necessarily what this team needs on a nightly basis. So taking that step back in a sense for us to be better, I’ve done everything but win a championship. That’s all I’m gonna be judged on at this point of my career, so just doing what it takes to help us get to that point.” – via The Athletic

While the public may be behind the ball on it, he hopes the voters will see it in the way the Celtics operate. “I don’t have the points per game that the other three or four guys will, but I think the voters are smart enough to understand the dynamic of our team,” Tatum said. “Essentially having to do less scoring maybe on certain nights but still impact the game in a lot of ways to kind of ensure that we win every single night.” – via The Athletic

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 09:02:14 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

Same as Duncan.

His jersey has been a high seller for the past few years, he’s got endorsement deals with Subway, Gatorade, Jordan and Ruffles, so it seems like it’s just the same talking heads that don’t consider him to have national appeal. The receipts say otherwise.