24 (19.8%)
Nets
24 (19.8%)
Clippers
6 (5%)
Other
12 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: The Kyrie Irving free agency thread(to sign 4yr/$141M w/Nets page 105)  (Read 145626 times)

Re: This is why I don't want to sign Kyrie
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2019, 11:00:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kyrie is a great offensive talent.

He hasn't demonstrated so far with the Celts that he's a great player.   Things were pretty good last year, but he missed the playoffs and didn't have the chance to show it in the playoffs.

This year, he hasn't been able to elevate the talent around him. And I think there are plenty of reasons to believe his off court stuff has hurt team chemistry, or at least been a major contributing factor to the awful chemistry that has torpedoed the team.
Yeah, questioning whether or not he's a great player is very confusing. He's also proven to be a great player with us this season. 25/7/5/1.6 on .499/.410/.878 shooting since November is great production, and he will likely be All-NBA 2nd or 3rd team this season.
He's already proved he's a great player in the multiple finals he's been in. Whether he's a great leader is what the question should be.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2019, 11:09:14 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I don't know which OP you're referring to, but Kyrie is only a small part of the issue.

Yes, he's a little too ball dominant but this falls as much on Tatum's porous defense, Rozier's awful 3 point attempt and Brad proving he's an inept coach.

Just "a little too ball dominant" ? That's like saying Doris Burke is just a little bit obnoxious.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2019, 11:15:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I don't know which OP you're referring to, but Kyrie is only a small part of the issue.

Yes, he's a little too ball dominant but this falls as much on Tatum's porous defense, Rozier's awful 3 point attempt and Brad proving he's an inept coach.

Just "a little too ball dominant" ? That's like saying Doris Burke is just a little bit obnoxious.

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2019, 11:15:41 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

He's actually less ball-dominant than most players with his talent. His usage rate is pretty low, only ranked at 17th in the league.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2019, 11:22:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He's actually less ball-dominant than most players with his talent. His usage rate is pretty low, only ranked at 17th in the league.
Don't worry, this will be dismissed as "not being able to see the forest for the trees" because of stats, lol.

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Irving didnt shoot well

BUT

He played better on offense than vs the Hornets.  He was trying to get the others involved

The whole team couldnt stop LA ... was the issue tonight

Irving needs to keep passing and playing with consistent defensive effort when he is on the court... thats it

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2019, 12:02:30 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

You watch the game tonight? He had more assists than points.

Your take on Kyrie is clearly slanted because you simply don't like him.

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2019, 12:03:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jay King: Brad Stevens said he had no problem with Kyrie Irving criticizing the schemes on Kemba Walker the other night. “I don’t get too caught up in that.”

Is Brad brushing Irving comments or brushing off how the media was making it look?

Sounds like he doesnt agree with the idea (trapping Kemba)...otherwise would have acknowledged

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2019, 12:48:53 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

This is an insane take. Say what you want about Kyrie, but you leave DB out of this. She's a [dang] treasure.

« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2019, 01:23:03 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Even if you swapped out kyrie for a “better” guard like Steph, this team would still struggle in the same way and putter to a 5th seed. 

The main problems of this team aren’t on kyrie.  Without him this team would probably miss the playoffs.

« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2019, 01:54:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Even if you swapped out kyrie for a “better” guard like Steph, this team would still struggle in the same way and putter to a 5th seed. 

The main problems of this team aren’t on kyrie.  Without him this team would probably miss the playoffs.

I think if Kyrie were not on the roster from the start of the season, they'd probably be a 41-45 win team.

So, worseish but not that much worse. Probably a worse point differential but more consistent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2019, 01:55:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He hasn't demonstrated so far with the Celts that he's a great player.   Things were pretty good last year, but he missed the playoffs and didn't have the chance to show it in the playoffs.

This year, he hasn't been able to elevate the talent around him. And I think there are plenty of reasons to believe his off court stuff has hurt team chemistry, or at least been a major contributing factor to the awful chemistry that has torpedoed the team.
He's already proved he's a great player in the multiple finals he's been in. Whether he's a great leader is what the question should be.

Great players don't just put up numbers. They enhance the team around them and they certainly don't subtract.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2019, 02:00:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Great players don't just put up numbers. They enhance the team around them and they certainly don't subtract.
So is Kyrie similar to LeBron?

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2019, 02:03:45 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

What about the slump that Jayson Tatum is going through? Or...the ridiculous continual decision to start Morris over Brown lol. Why is the blame always gotta be on Irving whether they win or lose lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2019, 02:22:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

What about the slump that Jayson Tatum is going through? Or...the ridiculous continual decision to start Morris over Brown lol. Why is the blame always gotta be on Irving whether they win or lose lol.
Because it's the easy way out. Especially those who were against trading for him 2 years ago