Author Topic: In Praise of Kyrie Irving  (Read 11523 times)

Re: In Praise of Kyrie Irving
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Tommy once called Paul Pierce the best pure scorer in Celtic history... upsetting people that he considered pierce a better “pure scorer” than Larry Bird. 

Tell me why Kyrie Irving isn’t a better pure scorer than Paul Pierce.

I can't, because he is. The only qualm about Irving's game is his inability to draw fouls consistently, especially in key moments. Still, Irving's shooting and driving are better than Pierce. His playmaking is significantly better than Pierce too.

« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2019, 10:37:43 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tommy once called Paul Pierce the best pure scorer in Celtic history... upsetting people that he considered pierce a better “pure scorer” than Larry Bird. 

I will take a shot at the Pierce v. Irving part while not conceding the Pierce v. Bird.

Both are great scorers but Pierce can score in more ways.  He can knock down the 3pt, post up and muscle for a bucket, offensive rebound for a score, mid range, long range, you name it.  Irving can dribble by someone better and probably has better overeall range (slightly) but I think at this point, I would take Pierce (Irving still has most of his career ahead of him though).

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I can't give you many reasons.  Kyrie's ball handling, quickness, and variety of shots gives him an edge over Pierce as a raw scorer.  The biggest argument for Pierce is that his size and strength allowed him to get to the line a lot more, which is something we shouldn't ignore.  This is where TS% can be a better indicator than raw shooting splits. 

Despite having less in his arsenal than Kyrie, Pierce was able to use the step-back jumper against anyone in an ISO situation.  There's a major advantage to being able to generate a good shot without needing elite handles. 

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2019, 10:42:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Tell me why he is.

Not necessarily saying I disagree.  Just want to hear the argument for.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2019, 12:00:22 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

I can't, because he is. The only qualm about Irving's game is his inability to draw fouls consistently, especially in key moments. Still, Irving's shooting and driving are better than Pierce. His playmaking is significantly better than Pierce too.

I don't know about that. He has the ability to...but hasn't gotten people involved in the way P has....YET.

And drawing fouls is huge closing out games...that's Kyries second biggest weakness.

Paul also could play big when it was needed...almost in the Barkley mold.

And I am not saying he was Barkley...but when games were on the line he did what was needed, whatever it was, and it's not his fault the Celts only barely had 5 serviceable players before 08.

Most people underrated Paul because he didn't look "slick" enough basically.

« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »

• Paul Silas

I can't give you many reasons.  Kyrie's ball handling, quickness, and variety of shots gives him an edge over Pierce as a raw scorer.  The biggest argument for Pierce is that his size and strength allowed him to get to the line a lot more, which is something we shouldn't ignore.  This is where TS% can be a better indicator than raw shooting splits. 

Despite having less in his arsenal than Kyrie, Pierce was able to use the step-back jumper against anyone in an ISO situation.  There's a major advantage to being able to generate a good shot without needing elite handles.

Kyrie can get most any shot he wants against anyone. Floaters, layups, stepbacks, deep threes.

Irving's career TS% is higher than Pierce's. It seems like its just going up as well.

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Kyrie can get most any shot he wants against anyone. Floaters, layups, stepbacks, deep threes.

Irving's career TS% is higher than Pierce's. It seems like its just going up as well.

In fairness to Pierce, I think we should evaluate his true shooting % starting in 2004-05.  This is when he made a conscious effort to change his game in order to fit within Doc's system.  Kyrie is obviously in the middle of his career but the numbers are pretty close if we look at Pierce's prime years. 

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »

• Paul Silas

I don't know about that. He has the ability to...but hasn't gotten people involved in the way P has....YET.

And drawing fouls is huge closing out games...that's Kyries second biggest weakness.

And I am not saying he was Barkley...but when games were on the line he did what was needed, whatever it was, and it's not his fault the Celts only barely had 5 serviceable players before 08.

It really has nothing to do with slickness for me. I love smart, methodical, crafty ball players.

It's just that Pierce is remembered a bit more fondly that he actually was. In his best seasons (age 32 and 33) he was more efficient than Kyrie, but Kyrie has been more efficient as a Celtic than every other season by Pierce. Kyrie's a better shooter. He's a better creator. He is a similar rebounder (5.3 per 36 this year compared to Pierce's 5.5 per 36 during his prime age 31-35 years).

Pierce was great. Don't get me wrong. It's just that when the recent past fades into the distant past, our most significant memories tend to shade our entire memory of players. Pierce brought us a championship. He went toe-to-toe with Lebron and Kobe, and delivered.

Irving hasn't done that for us ... yet.

« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

It really has nothing to do with slickness for me. I love smart, methodical, crafty ball players.

It's just that Pierce is remembered a bit more fondly that he actually was. In his best seasons (age 32 and 33) he was more efficient than Kyrie, but Kyrie has been more efficient as a Celtic than every other season by Pierce. Kyrie's a better shooter. He's a better creator. He is a similar rebounder (5.3 per 36 this year compared to Pierce's 5.5 per 36 during his prime age 31-35 years).

Pierce was great. Don't get me wrong. It's just that when the recent past fades into the distant past, our most significant memories tend to shade our entire memory of players. Pierce brought us a championship. He went toe-to-toe with Lebron and Kobe, and delivered.

Nah, I would say it's the exact opposite. Before Paul put on 10-15 pounds, he was an absolute beast and his athletic ability was very deceiving. He was much quicker and stronger than people understood and played above the rim alot just like most of the best swings back in the day.

You are remembering him from his last few seasons.

I'm not sure where this went anyway. Yeah, Kyrie is probably a slightly better scorer, but I would take Paul on my team before him because he gives you many more things.

And that 5 rebound stat should show that stats can be close to meaningless sometimes.

That stat is saying at crunchtime....Kyrie has the same odds of getting a rebound in traffic against big guys fighting underneath.

And I hope you would know that's ridiculous.

« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Out of laziness - the Celtics are 10-2 when Kyrie doesn't play. Curious, anyone know who those teams were / strength of schedule in that sample?
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »

• Paul Silas

Nah, I would say it's the exact opposite. Before Paul put on 10-15 pounds, he was an absolute beast and his athletic ability was very deceiving. He was much quicker and stronger than people understood and played above the rim alot just like most of the best swings back in the day.

I'm not sure where this went anyway. Yeah, Kyrie is probably a slightly better scorer, but I would take Paul on my team before him because he gives you many more things.

And that 5 rebound stat should show that stats can be close to meaningless sometimes.

That stat is saying at crunchtime....Kyrie has the same odds of getting a rebound in traffic against big guys fighting underneath.

I never said he wasn't athletic. I said he was crafty and methodical. I'm not misremembering him.

Pierce became a better, more determined defender as his career went along, but he wasn't always like that. He improved and took a huge leap when Garnett joined the team, but before that, he was kinda' lazy on defense.

Irving's defense has been really good most of the season. I still contend that Irving makes big defensive plays and plays good overall defense in big games, even if he doesn't on a random game in December. This year, Irving is drawing offensive fouls, getting steals, and generally disrupting plays from the weakside. He's averaging more steals per 36 this year than Pierce did in his last 15 years per 36.

And yes, I realize that Pierce is a better option as a rebounder to close a game. But it speaks volumes of Irving that he is averaging almost as many rebounds per 36 as a lot of small forwards. That means he is adding value beyond just being a scorer.

This thread is for praise of Irving. The nonchalant dispersions cast over his game are unfortunate. Irving is playing some of the best basketball of his career as a shooter, as a scorer, as a rebounder, and as a defender. It's not a knock on Pierce to say that Irving is better in any one of these areas, or that he is a better player (which is certainly still debatable).

Don't forget that Irving is just entering his prime at 27, and Pierce didn't become the defender or efficient shooter he was until his age 31 season. 

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

I never said he wasn't athletic. I said he was crafty and methodical. I'm not misremembering him.

Pierce became a better, more determined defender as his career went along, but he wasn't always like that. He improved and took a huge leap when Garnett joined the team, but before that, he was kinda' lazy on defense.

Irving's defense has been really good most of the season. I still contend that Irving makes big defensive plays and plays good overall defense in big games, even if he doesn't on a random game in December. This year, Irving is drawing offensive fouls, getting steals, and generally disrupting plays from the weakside. He's averaging more steals per 36 this year than Pierce did in his last 15 years per 36.

And yes, I realize that Pierce is a better option as a rebounder to close a game. But it speaks volumes of Irving that he is averaging almost as many rebounds per 36 as a lot of small forwards. That means he is adding value beyond just being a scorer.

This thread is for praise of Irving. The nonchalant dispersions cast over his game are unfortunate. Irving is playing some of the best basketball of his career as a shooter, as a scorer, as a rebounder, and as a defender. It's not a knock on Pierce to say that Irving is better in any one of these areas, or that he is a better player (which is certainly still debatable).

Don't forget that Irving is just entering his prime at 27, and Pierce didn't become the defender or efficient shooter he was until his age 31 season.

I'm not disagreeing one bit about Kyrie's abilities and believe me, I see his value. But my post was in response to people commenting on what Tommy said, and it's still relative. I agree with 80% of your post, but it's still not accurate regarding the defense. Paul was actually better at defense when he was younger, it was just being on so many teams with little help, there was no point trying to stop someone on the drive every single time because they had so many other holes in the team.

I'm just making observations on what people are posting.

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Out of laziness - the Celtics are 10-2 when Kyrie doesn't play. Curious, anyone know who those teams were / strength of schedule in that sample?

Here you go. I pulled the data from basketball-reference.com

Code: [Select]
Game # Opponent Record at time Win % H/A Tm Opp W L

12 Utah Jazz 6-6 0.500 AWAY 115 123 1
26 New Orleans Pelicans 14-15 0.483 HOME 113 100 1
37 Minnesota Timberwolves 17-21 0.447 HOME 115 102 1
38 Dallas Mavericks 18-20 0.474 HOME 114 93 1
43 Brooklyn Nets 22-23 0.489 AWAY 102 109 1
48 Cleveland Cavaliers 9-40 0.184 HOME 123 103 1
50 Brooklyn Nets 27-24 0.529 HOME 112 104 1
51 Charlotte Hornets 24-26 0.480 HOME 126 94 1
54 Cleveland Cavaliers 11-43 0.204 AWAY 103 96 1
57 Philadelphia 76ers 36-21 0.632 AWAY 112 109 1
58 Detroit Pistons 26-30 0.464 HOME 118 110 1
66 Sacramento Kings 32-32 0.500 AWAY 111 109 1
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2019, 09:05:56 PM »

• Paul Silas

A great reminder of why Irving is sitting out these games, and why the Celtics have a good record without him.

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2019, 09:16:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

A great reminder of why Irving is sitting out these games, and why the Celtics have a good record without him.

And he did not "sit out" the Philly game, the only quality win of that lot.