Author Topic: WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston  (Read 22619 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB: Paul to Houston
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 12:00:34 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston is in good shape if they cannot get Hayward...Think Griffin is ripe for the picking
I think Griffin is more likely to stay now honestly.

I don't. That team is on the decline and Reddick is all but gone also. They are shopping Jordan. Think the Clippers are ready to rebuild. Miami or Boston should pounce on Blake

Re: WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 12:00:57 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I kind of question the fit for Houston, but it doesn't really matter (it's CP3, they'll work out the fit).  Getting a star big man (LMA?) would probably have been better position-wise, but I guess finding a big man that is attainable, a star, and fits in their pace-and-space offense would be almost impossible.  No mater what, though, it's a heck of a move, and a surprisingly low price.  That '18 pick will be pretty crappy.

Can we change the thread title to "WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston", though? I had a mini heart attack because I thought it was PG13

Well, when you have people like Chris Paul and Paul George who have two first names, it does get confusing.

Ugh...people with first names for last names.

Title changed.

TP Larry Coon saltlover, you're the best
I'm bitter.

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
i think we should trade these picks....

soooo many teams will be tanking this year
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:19 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Shame that Clippers pick is protected.

At least it's trade and they are getting value back in return. Maybe it will help them keep afloat for that pick.

Yeah, it's a pretty good deal for Clippers.  Assuming they keep Decker and the pick, that's only abet of about $2.4 million in cap space in 2018 compared to just letting Paul walk and not replacing him.  They could have over $80 million in cap space next summer, during a good free agency class, if Blake also leaves and they don't make any long-term signings this summer.

Kinda thinks that this is BAD for the PG signing and good for a Griffin departure. It sets up LAC to be open for LeBron, Melo and possibly PG (IF PG doesn't extend with Bos)

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Clippers get beverly, Decker, williams, and 2018 1st. Clippers win the trade imo long term, cp3 is old

Clippers got value and depth

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Paul agrees to sign with Houston 3 days before the free agency window opens? I thought teams couldn't engage in conversations with players until July 1

Wonder if the Clips will file tampering charges

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Paul agrees to sign with Houston 3 days before the free agency window opens? I thought teams couldn't engage in conversations with players until July 1

He's not signing with them, he's being traded to them.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Clippers get beverly, Decker, williams, and 2018 1st. Clippers win the trade imo long term, cp3 is old

Clippers got value and depth
He's only 32, and still one of the best players in the league.

But it's a case of getting what you can for a guy who is leaving in a year.

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think this really opens the door on Hayward signing in the east.  The top 3 teams in the West are so far and above everyone else.  San Antonio, GSW and the Rockets are legit title contenders.  Utah is not knocking off any of those 3.  The East is more open.   I think the Cavs are beatable and players will see this.  I would be shocked if Blake or GH were not wearing Celtic Green next year.

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I kind of question the fit for Houston, but it doesn't really matter (it's CP3, they'll work out the fit).  Getting a star big man (LMA?) would probably have been better position-wise, but I guess finding a big man that is attainable, a star, and fits in their pace-and-space offense would be almost impossible.  No mater what, though, it's a heck of a move, and a surprisingly low price.  That '18 pick will be pretty crappy.

Can we change the thread title to "WOJ BOMB: Chris Paul to Houston", though? I had a mini heart attack because I thought it was PG13

Agreed.  I felt like CP3 was destined to go to SAS and that he would fit in better there.  Beverly and Harden wasn't the best back court combination, but certainly fit well together. 

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think this really opens the door on Hayward signing in the east.  The top 3 teams in the West are so far and above everyone else.  San Antonio, GSW and the Rockets are legit title contenders.  Utah is not knocking off any of those 3.  The East is more open.   I think the Cavs are beatable and players will see this.  I would be shocked if Blake or GH were not wearing Celtic Green next year.

I think Boston signs him because his wife hates Utah and wants out.

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Windhorst said that Houston is now trying to get Paul George for Eric Gordon plus.

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
On ESPN.

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
league is a mess...ha
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

He's not signing with them, he's being traded to them.

He's being traded because he had warned them he was signing with Houston.

I've always thought about the tampering issue. You can't talk to FAs until Saturday.