Author Topic: Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped  (Read 10376 times)

Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Per Bleacher Report:

I already slapped the franchise label on Jayson Tatum earlier this month, so let's start by acknowledging that the guy has immense potential. He showed it during last year's playoff run, when he led the Boston Celtics with 18.5 points per game.

But consider the obstacles ahead of Tatum this season, and you'll see why we should hold off on crowning him a megastar right away.

Kyrie Irving has never been one to take a backseat, and with him back on the floor, it'll be much harder for Tatum to build on his postseason takeover. Throw Gordon Hayward into the mix, and there will be even fewer touches for the 20-year-old wing. And that's to say nothing of Jaylen Brown, who's a superior defender at the moment and averaged 18 points per game in the playoffs on more efficient shooting than Tatum managed. He's due for an increased role as well.

Aside from the personnel issues, Tatum is also unlikely to shoot a scorching 52 percent on corner threes again. If that seems unreasonable, consider that Klay Thompson has shot better than 47 percent from the corners only once in his career. He's never matched Tatum's 52 percent.

If you believe Tatum is going to be a better shooter than Thompson, you've crossed the rubicon between optimism and pure fantasy.

Much of the caution here boils down to skepticism about small samples. Tatum's hot shooting and relatively brief playoff excellence still count in his favor, but he's only 20. It's way too early to start taking the Kobe Bryant parallels seriously, even if some of the evidence is compelling.

Tatum's going to be great. But let's not rush to anoint him as a superstar until he deserves it.

Re: Bleacher Report: Why Tatum is overhyped
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
In a normal universe I would agree. However, when Ben Simmons is called a potential MVP candidate, then no, in this screwed up media hype machine driven universe, run by people who have no idea about basketball and just want to market potential money makers in big markets, Tatum is hyped just right.

I bet the Fultz hype will go through the roof if he manages to have a couple of decent games early on in the season where he resembles a poor man's Rozier.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 06:59:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Why are we referencing Bleacher Report of all places? Lol

Don’t get me wrong - I visit Bleacher Report frequently for news and other interesting articles. But people shouldn’t take their basketball analysis all that seriously. The vast majority of their “writers” are just fans themselves doing this for fun.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
and we care why ?

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 07:16:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't really see anything wrong or crazy in there and it was generally positive
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kinda agree with everything from that article. Tatum will be a superstar someday....just not next year.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In a normal universe I would agree. However, when Ben Simmons is called a potential MVP candidate, then no, in this screwed up media hype machine driven universe, run by people who have no idea about basketball and just want to market potential money makers in big markets, Tatum is hyped just right.

I bet the Fultz hype will go through the roof if he manages to have a couple of decent games early on in the season where he resembles a poor man's Rozier.
Yep. My thoughts exactly
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Why are we referencing Bleacher Report of all places? Lol

Don’t get me wrong - I visit Bleacher Report frequently for news and other interesting articles. But people shouldn’t take their basketball analysis all that seriously. The vast majority of their “writers” are just fans themselves doing this for fun.

I never have before as I agree with you, but given it is the off-season I am trying to maintain discussions and any type of thought provoking Celtics related articles.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 08:45:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The Fultz hype should go through the roof if he starts the season playing well.  I mean, he was the #1 draft pick who basically redshirted his first year. 

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:58 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Tatum was the number 3 pick.

Fultz and Ball were taken 1 and 2. Both were heavily hyped pre and post draft.

Tatum had a much better first year than either.

Was it because of a better coach?
Was it because of a better team?
Or maybe he is just the better player.
Danny made the better pick and put him in a better position to succeed.

Now he is described as overhyped? 
What happens if he smokes them both this season and the next?

Oh, he will be called overrated I guess.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 10:56:21 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It's much more likely that Donovan Mitchell is overhyped.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 10:57:44 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
A link to the BR article would have been nice.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2790640-nbas-most-overhyped-players-ahead-of-2018-19-season#slide0  While quoting the segment pertaining to Tatum accurately, using 100% of the content may not exactly comply with the Fair Use doctrine.  But, I digress as I am wont to do on occasion.

Tatum still has a long way to go to be considered in the same breath as true great players of this generation.  His defense is spotty apart from being able to take advantage of his long arms to tip passes because he doesn't move/re-position his feet well in man defense.  He was routinely beaten off the dribble by the player he was guarding both during the regular season as well as the playoffs. 

His rebounding and help defense (particularly from the back side) was nearly non-existent and exposed during the post season.  There were multiple games, especially during the 76'rs series,  where an opposing player went in for an uncontested layup or dunk after beating his man while Tatum stood by on the weak side and made no effort (and I mean zero) to make a play on the ball as if he didn't know what to do....or was afraid of contact.

My biggest complaint, however, which I voiced repeatedly in game threads throughout the year, was that Tatum continually drove to the basket and had layup attempt after layup attempt (including more than one instance in the same game) blocked from behind or the side because he was bringing the ball up from at or below his waist and did not go strong all the way to the hoop.  You would think that CBS (and his assistant coaches) would have "broken" Tatum of that bad habit but no, he kept doing it over and over apparently "expecting a different result", which if I recall correctly, a certain reputed "genius" referred to as the definition of insanity. 

In any case, Tatum has a nice stroke and step back jumper but a considerable way to go before becoming a complete player on both sides of the court at least IMNSHO.   

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tatum regressing slightly doesn’t stop him from being a star

He’s the best wing prospect since Kevin Durant.

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Is Jaylen Brown underhyped?

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 11:31:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794