Author Topic: 2017 Red Sox Thread  (Read 51112 times)

Re: 2017 Red Sox Reg. Season Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Thoughts so far this season?

34-27, 3 games back of 1st and firmly in 2nd for now.

Given the shaky start and with all the injuries, I think the Sox have done fairly well.

Porcello struggling doesn't help though, and neither does ERod being on the DL now (though hopefully he can come back real soon as reports indicate - maybe in the next 5 days).

Biggest problem is 3B.

Regardless, a favorable stretch here with DET (go for the sweep tonight) and then 4 straight against the free falling Phillies. Need to take advantage. Yankees keep on winning unfortunately..  :(
Between Ramirez, Sandoval, and Price, this is easily my least favorite franchise in town. Can't stand them.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well, that was a fun game.

I am sure Pomeranz is psyched that Hembree was brought into the game for a grand slam. There goes the ERA. EDIT: at least one was unearned.

As for this Sox team, it's alright, but no Papi means nobody to strike fear into the heart of the opponents in the middle of the line-up. I love our young guys and we have great front line pitching (too bad about Wright this year), but this doesn't currently feel like a World Series champion. Perhaps that missing piece will come via trade.

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Given the shaky start and with all the injuries, I think the Sox have done fairly well.

Porcello struggling doesn't help though, and neither does ERod being on the DL now (though hopefully he can come back real soon as reports indicate - maybe in the next 5 days).

Biggest problem is 3B.

Regardless, a favorable stretch here with DET (go for the sweep tonight) and then 4 straight against the free falling Phillies. Need to take advantage. Yankees keep on winning unfortunately..  :(
Between Ramirez, Sandoval, and Price, this is easily my least favorite franchise in town. Can't stand them.

What? Why? Because of only those 3?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 10:25:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, that was a fun game.

I am sure Pomeranz is psyched that Hembree was brought into the game for a grand slam. There goes the ERA. EDIT: at least one was unearned.

As for this Sox team, it's alright, but no Papi means nobody to strike fear into the heart of the opponents in the middle of the line-up. I love our young guys and we have great front line pitching (too bad about Wright this year), but this doesn't currently feel like a World Series champion. Perhaps that missing piece will come via trade.

Yeah I hate to say it but there's no fire in this team. Pedroia I hoped would be a true leader but it doesn't seem like it so far. Astros seem like the team running away with it and may very well be in the World Series come October/November.

And truthfully, this was another pathetic outing by Pomeranz. Yeah, error at the beginning of the inning wasn't his fault, BUT he proceeds to load them up and yet again, BEFORE 5 INNINGS, has nearly 100 pitches..  ::)

Hembree has been very solid much of this season, but tonight is just not his night.

Hopefully Detroit's bullpen is atrocious again tonight and the Sox offense can get to them, but I truthfully think this game is over..

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Biggest problem is 3B.

What? Why? Because of only those 3?
Those three are just the easiest to snipe at. There's enough dejection the spread around liberally, though. So let's see...

Ramirez has pretty much refused to play 1B this season.

Sandoval can't be bothered to get himself in shape in which he can be mistaken for an actual baseball player.

Price doesn't talk to the media because they hurt his feelings, and got into a scrum with a reporter.

Those are the highest paid guys on your squad, your team leaders so to say. But the buck doesn't stop there:

Pedroia felt it's ok to throw his teammates under the bus from the top step of the dugout during a game.

Pomeranz whined about being taken early out of a game one week after his elbow was about to explode (perhaps he should try to take less than 100 pitches to get out of the 4th).

Farrell has the charisma of a dead fish, is less informative than sports talk radio, and has the habit of hanging his players out to dry. I guess that is compensated by the fact that he's a horrible in-game manager and has totally lost any semblance of control over the clubhouse.

If I could start tomorrow with Sale, Betts, Bogaerts, Benintendi, JBJ, and Rodriguez, I'd do it in a heartbeat. To think we could have had Lovullo, Lester and even Travis Shaw here instead is just maddening.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I actually love Hanley.

Despise Pomeranz. Agree with you on Sandoval and Price.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 07:52:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Porcello stinking it up again against a MINOR LEAGUE Phillies team...  >:(

Meanwhile the Sox just need to get rid of Sandoval. Admit he was a pure bust and move on, get some closure and focus on the next future at 3B (Devers, with Rutledge/Marrerro and potential trade deadline acquisition holding fort at 3B for the time being).

They traded BOTH Moncada/Shaw with hopes Sandoval could produce and HE HASN'T.

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Did Farrell really just leave Sandoval in on defense in the 9th when Marrero is sitting on the bench? That guy is truly incompetent.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Did Farrell really just leave Sandoval in on defense in the 9th when Marrero is sitting on the bench? That guy is truly incompetent.

They need to officially do something with Sandoval.

Admit he was a bust and find some closure there. They can't keep going on like this with a 3B conundrum. They let Moncada and Shaw leave via trade because they had faith in Sandoval SMH.

Marrerro/Rutledge honestly have done solid BUT are bench/platoon guys, NOT everyday starting 3B.

Although Sandoval did get the hit and was ultimately the winning run lol (Marerro running in his place).

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 06:48:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Red Sox end the first half at 50-39 and are 3.5 games ahead for first place in the AL East.  ;D

A little inconsistent, some nagging injuries, and a bit of a wild ride overall, but I'm pretty pleased that they are 50-39 despite it all. Good thing NYY lost quite a bit in June as well haha.

Kennedy says a decision on Sandoval could be made "in the coming days".. PLEASE just let him go. Admit it was a bust signing, and just move on and gain some closure. Done with Sandoval.  >:(

Will be interesting to see what the Red Sox do at the trade deadline though. I hope they don't make any big moves (I mean... the Sox barely have a farm system now unfortunately - pretty top heavy), but if they do, I'd like to see them give up low-mid level prospects for a good reliever (sort of like how they acquired Ziegler for cheap last year, and he did fantastic for the Diamondbacks, AND the Red Sox in his time here).

For now at 3B, keep it with Marrero (sort of like 2013 Drew with his spectacular defense), and Lin, and hope Rutledge comes back too for depth later on.

Todd Frazier is an option at 3B through trade but ONLY if White Sox eat some cash and it doesn't cost too much, but Frazier also doesn't offer too much outside of some power (can hit HRs pretty well). He's hitting like .213 as well, so not an elite hitter.

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Trade Deadline tomorrow at 4 PM EST.

I wonder if the Red Sox even do anything. Does the front office think it's worth investing in this team? I truthfully don't think it is. They are playing with no heart and look like an inconsistent team with multiple flaws.

But if they make a trade (or two), how about JAY BRUCE? Maybe a Bruce + Reed package (Rental Power Bat + Rental 7th/8th Inning Arm)? I didn't realize this but before Bruce had Boston in his limited no trade clause list of 8 teams. But now Boston is NOT on that list, so he could be had. Bruce has 27 HR and 72 RBI this season and could be our primary DH and occasional OF/1B. Sox NEED a bat like that and you can move Moreland and Young to the bench as pinch hitters/defensive sub. Hanley plays more 1B.

All day we heard rumors that the Red Sox were planning to go "all in" for Reed and it seems, in a sense, destined Reed will be traded to Boston. Rosenthal, Olney, etc mentioned the Red Sox were a likely landing spot for Reed. And hey, we saw what UNFORTUNATELY happened today in the 8th inning without Kelly (bridge to Kimbrel).  :'( (UGLY LOSS)

I REALLY wanted Neshek though (rather than Reed) and can't believe the Sox didn't get him. He didn't even fetch much in a trade smh...

If we miss out on Reed, Kintzler (Twins Closer) is still an option.

Either way, all hell will break loose tomorrow with all the rumors, players, teams, discussions, etc until 4PM EST lol.

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2017, 12:17:23 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Farrell's got to go
Yup

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 12:39:05 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Sox have lots of issues.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 08:53:30 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Everybody does except the Astros. There is no reason the Sox shouldn't make the playoffs (and frankly take out the Yankees for a non-Wildcard position), but they need to start playing with more consistency. Just a few weeks ago, they looked poised to run away with the division.

It's been disappointing as of late, but there are still two months left before the end of the season. No reason to jump off a ledge yet.

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

You said it.

Bad managing, especially in the 8th inning and the lineup, bad management upstairs (failure to get a setup guy after trying twice with Smith and Thornburg), bad ownership (Henry refuses to pay luxury tax while his competition, the Yankees, laugh at it), and finally bad Boston media (the Price vs Eck soap opera has been taken to extremes on the tweets, with the media siding with the media, Eck. And the management apologized to Eck--a slap in the face to the players who supported Price.)

Farrell has lost two games for Sale by not letting him get the 3rd out in the 8th inning. Yesterday, he lost another by not letting Workman, his current best reliever, come out for the 8th after getting the final out in the 7th. Inexcusable blunder.

The result of all this is the team is crashing. And it looks like Dombrowski will do nothing to get that setup guy at the trade deadline today. If he doesn't, it's a lost season. They won't make the playoffs.

The Celtics and the Patriots are a breath of fresh air in this town. Why? They have better management which handles the press much better. Keeps them a distance from the players.