Author Topic: Perkins - Wasn't Bynum, Why Did Nobody Notice???  (Read 18390 times)

Re: Perkins - Wasn't Bynum, Why Did Nobody Notice???
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
so Bryant pulls a common trick-of-the-trade hold to limit Perk's lift for the offensive board, then follows it up with an assault & battery after Perk gets the rebound ....... Perk goes down with a season-ending injury and what is Bryant's reaction ? he turns to the ref with his normal incredulous look that someone might have the nerve to call a foul on him. what a jerk.

i hate kobe bryant. nothing would be better than celebrating the title on his home floor tomorrow nite and watching him storm out of the place like the petulant little child that he is.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 05:53:19 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
What really makes Perk fall in a bad way is the contact from Kobe's knee to his leg (0:09), he can't land where he should, and then the contact by Bynum makes the rest. Forget about Kobe's hands, it's his knee.

I don't believe Kobe is trying to hurt Perk, but again, Celtics players are in the bad side of unintended plays that result in a Celtic injury. Kobe shouldn't have come under Perk's leg, that's a dirty play with an unfortunate result.

Just like in the Orlando series, Celtics are the "bad boys" and they can't complain about dirty plays. I want Shelden and Scals to cause some "unintended" pain (not injuries) through committing "good playoff fouls".

Nobody here wants Kobe going to jail for injuring Perk, but he did, and that's a dirty play. Lakers are as dirty as Magic, and when it's all over, they can shake hands, but while the series is alive, we have the right to call them "dirty". If it was Kobe going down with a torn ACL, Doc and Danny and Lue might be dressing to make the 12 man roster.

Go Celtics, play hard, tough it up and please Shelden and Scal, don't be shy, play "good playoff" defense.
Not that I disagree with the sentiment of hard fouls, it's obvious that Admiral Ackbar is not hard fouling anybody.  He had the perfect chance to do so on a Kobe layup with about 3 minutes left in the game and played it like a madador.

I would have clotheslined him!

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 06:58:15 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Man I really don't know what everyone else is watching but Kobe definitely does some shady stuff on this play. I agree with the OP that anyone who doesn't see anything fishy either doesn't WANT to or is probably just too old with bad eyes to watch a youtube video.

Every basketball player knows that when you jump, it is really easy to land awkwardly, but especially if someone pushes you, grabs your leg, etc. Kobe grabs perks right leg as he jumps and causes him to lose control of how he lands.

Kobe ALSO slides his legs underneath Perk, probably hoping Perk may just land on his foot and roll an ankle or something. Sliding your foot beneath a landing player is nothing new, and anyone who thinks Kobe had absolutely no bad intentions during this play is fooling themselves.

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I honestly can't watch what happened again. It makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it so I can't comment on it. I'll just say only Kobe knows what his intentions were on that play and as they say what goes around comes around so if he played dirty he'll get his eventually. Won't be the 1st time he's messed up and the wronged party ends up getting a huge ring out of it.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
For real?  At the very beginning of the slo-mo, you can't see Kobe's hand holding Perk's shin/ankle against his own leg?  If you don't see it, I'm sorry, but you must not want to see it because it is right there.

ADDED - It is right when the flashbulb is going off. 

Again, I have seen this before, from many players.  What it does is it robs the rebounder of a few inches of "up" because it splits his legs instead of keeping a streamline on the jump.  When combined with a gorilla of a man on your back, it can cause you to severely mess up your knee.
"must not want to see it"

Hahahahahahahahahaha

As sad as I am about Perk, it is nice to get a little laughter out of it.

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I see nothing dirty here. Guys legs get tangled on many rebounds. Sometimes bad luck happens.

And Kobe's hand is facing palm up as he is in the motion of swiping up at the ball.

Of course mixed in here is yet another Bynum violation.

Andrew "over the back" Bynum
can be added to:
Andrew "3 second violation" Bynum

He gets away with way too much.

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
Thought you had something; but on closer examination he is just winding up to hit the ball out. Bynum definitely fouled him.

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Man I really don't know what everyone else is watching but Kobe definitely does some shady stuff on this play. I agree with the OP that anyone who doesn't see anything fishy either doesn't WANT to or is probably just too old with bad eyes to watch a youtube video.

Every basketball player knows that when you jump, it is really easy to land awkwardly, but especially if someone pushes you, grabs your leg, etc. Kobe grabs perks right leg as he jumps and causes him to lose control of how he lands.

Kobe ALSO slides his legs underneath Perk, probably hoping Perk may just land on his foot and roll an ankle or something. Sliding your foot beneath a landing player is nothing new, and anyone who thinks Kobe had absolutely no bad intentions during this play is fooling themselves.

That is what i saw, that is what i know....the fisrt time i saw it, it was obvious kobes leg hit perks leg before he landed.....it was from the view from UNDER the hoop, as you face the hoop, the camera would have been under the hoop, to the right.....The thing is, after they showed it 2 times, the view from then on was from the Laker bench area, so all you could see was bynum, and some perk, and hardly any kobe, and it was mostly upper body......

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......

It was kobe's leg hitting perks leg before he landed, calf to calf, i think the original view is gone, didn't anyone see the replay shot from UNDER the hoop, to the right, where all you could see was kobe and perks lower body, and bynums lower body......?

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

It was kobe's leg hitting perks leg before he landed, calf to calf, i think the original view is gone, didn't anyone see the replay shot from UNDER the hoop, to the right, where all you could see was kobe and perks lower body, and bynums lower body......?

but to say that that split second of action was intentional is a bit of a stretch IMO. I really doubt Kobe was thinking "If i slide my calf against Perk's for this split second, yet make a ball swipe, so it looks like i'm doing nothing with my leg, and also time it perfectly with Perk's jump and Bynum's foul, I'll be able to injure Kendrick Perkins."

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I posted this some place else, I'll repeat it here as well: there is a reason why NBA rules dictate that you must give a player who's in the air a space to land. Going under someone,especially from behind, is a very dangerous move, harmless as it looks.

Just ask Steve Francis about Bruce Bowen.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 08:38:06 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

I posted this some place else, I'll repeat it here as well: there is a reason why NBA rules dictate that you must give a player who's in the air a space to land. Going under someone,especially from behind, is a very dangerous move, harmless as it looks.

Just ask Steve Francis about Bruce Bowen.

TP, kozlodoev... that's why Kobe's play was dirty. Don't think he wanted to injure Perk, but he takes the risk of causing an injury. The NBA, the refs and the players should protect player's health. That's the red line they never should cross. I feel the same way I felt after Orlando's game 5, every team wants to win and it's OK if they play hard. Just don't play dirty, unintended injuries are still injuries, and players know where the limits are.

Play hard, tough it up Celtics! Beat LA!!!

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Kobe clearly sets him up, puts his leg and foot deep between Perkins legs as he is getting boxed out, then as Perkins jumps for the rebound, he very clearly kicks Perkins foot and leg out in 2 very clear kicking motions.  I don't think he cared if he hurt him or not, but it is a dirty play.  My question for those of you who say you just don't see it is - what do you think Kobe is kicking at, if it isn't a kick at Perkins foot to knock him off balance?  He looks like he's trying to kick a soccer ball, but the only think down there worth kicking is Perkins foot, no?  Do you think he's just having a leg spasm?

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4geaMUOX3w

I don't know if this is the same clip, but this one you can see very clearly, the view of the play from under the basket, that Kobe very clearly sets Kendrick up by putting is leg between Perkins legs during the box out.  He then very blatantly kicks Perkins foot and leg out, crafty - but very dirty.  I read some comments on LA forums and blogs as well, they also said that was a dirty Kobe play, but they all seem to think that is OK, since it was a Celtic's career that may have been ended. 

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It appears that Kobe causes Perk's right leg to become instable, but to conclude that Kobe intended to do that is impossible, and given the lighting fast movement of bodies, etc., pretty unlikely, IMO.