Author Topic: Perkins - Wasn't Bynum, Why Did Nobody Notice???  (Read 18387 times)

Perkins - Wasn't Bynum, Why Did Nobody Notice???
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
Maybe I missed it in all of the Laker love-fest that has been going on post-game, but I know that some of you on here saw what I saw.

Perkins' injury wasn't caused by Bynum's fat-azz coming down on him, not at all.  If you have the game on TiVO (and I know some of you do), you can see something that is being edited out of every clip that I have seen this morning.

I am not even talking about the ridiculous, upward, karate chop that Bryant gives to Perk when he is going for the board.  That was clearly a foul, but whatever. What I am talking about is right before that.

When Perk goes up, Kobe, very calculated, grabs at Perk's thigh for a split second.  THAT is what threw Perk off balance and then after the follow up aforementioned karate chop, he had no chance to come down fine. 

BOTTOM LINE - that was a dirty play by Kobe and it was a very high potential for injury play as well.  But is anybody mentioning it at all?  No, of course not!  Why?  Maybe because every clip I have seen after the game, the footage is cropped and you can't see Kobe's hand or Perk's leg.  That's why, if you didn't see it live, you need it on DVR, but this is absolutely what happened.

To be clear, this isn't complaining about the refs.  This is just about a dirty dirty play, resulting in the loss of our main size against a team we are outsized against already, and NOBODY in the media (spineless dweebs) is talking about it.

Re: Perkins - Wasn't Bynum, Why Did Nobody Notice???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:12:23 AM »

Offline BirdLegend33

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
I must have missed it. Can we find a video of this online?

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »

Offline drunk_guy_at_an_80s_party

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I would really like to see the video evidence.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:38:21 AM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
I would really like to see the video evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMEKEdknTNU

Look at the very beginning of the slo-mo and you can see that Kobe grabs his shin and it throws him off balance.  They showed it more times from further back in slo-mo last night and you can see the grab a second earlier than here, but on this video you can see him holding the leg/shin... clearly, while Perk is in the air.

ADD: At the very beginning, you can also see Kobe's swipe with the right hand to mess up his leg.  To be honest, its not the first time I have seen a player use this play, but that doesn't make it any less dirty.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
Maybe I missed it in all of the Laker love-fest that has been going on post-game, but I know that some of you on here saw what I saw.

Perkins' injury wasn't caused by Bynum's fat-azz coming down on him, not at all.  If you have the game on TiVO (and I know some of you do), you can see something that is being edited out of every clip that I have seen this morning.

I am not even talking about the ridiculous, upward, karate chop that Bryant gives to Perk when he is going for the board.  That was clearly a foul, but whatever. What I am talking about is right before that.

When Perk goes up, Kobe, very calculated, grabs at Perk's thigh for a split second.  THAT is what threw Perk off balance and then after the follow up aforementioned karate chop, he had no chance to come down fine. 

BOTTOM LINE - that was a dirty play by Kobe and it was a very high potential for injury play as well.  But is anybody mentioning it at all?  No, of course not!  Why?  Maybe because every clip I have seen after the game, the footage is cropped and you can't see Kobe's hand or Perk's leg.  That's why, if you didn't see it live, you need it on DVR, but this is absolutely what happened.

To be clear, this isn't complaining about the refs.  This is just about a dirty dirty play, resulting in the loss of our main size against a team we are outsized against already, and NOBODY in the media (spineless dweebs) is talking about it.

I'm glad you saw it too. I thought maybe I was imagining that it happened.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:57:40 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I don't know, I think I've watched this video 12 times and I'm not seeing it.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
For real?  At the very beginning of the slo-mo, you can't see Kobe's hand holding Perk's shin/ankle against his own leg?  If you don't see it, I'm sorry, but you must not want to see it because it is right there.

ADDED - It is right when the flashbulb is going off. 

Again, I have seen this before, from many players.  What it does is it robs the rebounder of a few inches of "up" because it splits his legs instead of keeping a streamline on the jump.  When combined with a gorilla of a man on your back, it can cause you to severely mess up your knee.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:18:26 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
For real?  At the very beginning of the slo-mo, you can't see Kobe's hand holding Perk's shin against his own leg?  If you don't see it, I'm sorry, but you must not want to see it because it is right there.

I don't think I would've watched it fifteen times, had I not wanted to see it. Trust me, there's nothing more I'd like to see than something that would possibly cause Kobe a suspension or fine. But I'm not seeing anything particularily dirty.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »

Offline Timbaland7

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
 ::) This is a bit of a reach.  Not everything the Lakers do is dirty.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
Check change to previous post.  Clearly there, common move, as the flashbulb is going off, shin/ankle.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:25:22 AM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
::) This is a bit of a reach.  Not everything the Lakers do is dirty.

Look, I am in no way saying he was trying to hurt the guy.  But this is a common dirty play and it just is an example of how the dirty plays can cause major problems.  A great example of it, in fact, because it may well change the way an entire season ends.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »

Offline drunk_guy_at_an_80s_party

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
I don't know. Looks like Kobe moves closer into Perk's direction while he is in the air, with stretched legs. When Perk comes done Kobe's knee is in the way. But I don't really see any holding.  ???

Might as well been coming down awkward and Bynum's chop doing the rest.

P.S. Slo-mo starts at the end of the 0:07 mark.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Kobe wasn't holding anything.... this is a case of people seeing what they want to see. Making Kobe the villain. I have no love for Kobe, but nothing happened.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Things like that happen litterally EVERY time someone goes up for a rebound.  Everyone gets pushed, pulled, and everything in between.  It's part of the game.

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:45 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Meh, Kobe didn't cause Perk to land like that.  This was just one of those things that wasn't really anyone's fault, and is an unfortunate part of playing basketball (or any sport).  Sometimes, Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. just happens, and just because Kobe's right next to him does not mean that he caused the injury or did anything dirty.