Poll

Vet min deal for Bogut?

Sure, Go for it
Nah, lets pass on him
Bring back Greg Stiemsma!

Author Topic: Idea: Take a flyer on Andrew Bogut  (Read 1288 times)

Idea: Take a flyer on Andrew Bogut
« on: July 08, 2019, 06:15:51 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I know we are at like 15 guaranteed contracts already, but if the roster slot opened we could do alot worse than takig on Andrew Bogut on a vet minimum deal. He has reps as a decent to good interior defender, passes well for a big man and has champiosnhip experience to help RWill and the young'ens develop. Question is whether or not he is too cooked to give decent minutes.
Banner 18 please 😍

Re: Idea: Take a flyer on Andrew Bogut
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 06:20:16 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Too many bigs. Can't waste 5 roster spots on centers.

Kanter. Poirier. Theis. Rob Williams. No space for Bogut.

This is why I did not want to bring back Theis. Too underwhelming a big man. Rob Williams too much of an unknown. They needed someone more solid than Theis in case Rob Williams isn't ready to go next season. Bogut or Tyson Chandler would've been good. But with Theis back, no space. Team exposed. Especially if Poirier (first time NBA player) doesn't adapt well to NBA.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 06:52:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
 Bogut is old and oft injured.  This is a bad idea, not idea.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 06:56:40 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Bogut actually chose to go back to Australia to prolong his career for the Olympics then most probably retire, I think the only reason he came back for the playoffs last season was because of his connection with the Warriors and their injury problems.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

This is why I did not want to bring back Theis. Too underwhelming a big man. Rob Williams too much of an unknown. They needed someone more solid than Theis in case Rob Williams isn't ready to go next season. Bogut or Tyson Chandler would've been good. But with Theis back, no space. Team exposed. Especially if Poirier (first time NBA player) doesn't adapt well to NBA.

I think you’re looking at the Theis signing a bit wrong. We were going to be down to minimum signings anyway, which would likely not affect our title chances in any way. However, bringing Theis back adds another slightly bigger contract we can use in a trade.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 07:26:55 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I want Tyson Chandler and Avery Bradley..drop Theis, Yabu and Wannamaker
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Bogut actually chose to go back to Australia to prolong his career for the Olympics then most probably retire, I think the only reason he came back for the playoffs last season was because of his connection with the Warriors and their injury problems.

Thanks for the info
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 03:02:03 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I think you’re looking at the Theis signing a bit wrong. We were going to be down to minimum signings anyway, which would likely not affect our title chances in any way. However, bringing Theis back adds another slightly bigger contract we can use in a trade.

I also think Theis is really a PF and not a C, considering we don't really have many PFs either, and he gets pushed around pretty easily. 

But hey, with Stevens usually only using one big guy on the court at once, maybe he's a de facto C.  I just don't really think he should be.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 04:46:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I also think Theis is really a PF and not a C, considering we don't really have many PFs either, and he gets pushed around pretty easily.

But hey, with Stevens usually only using one big guy on the court at once, maybe he's a de facto C.  I just don't really think he should be.

In case you did not get the Memo Danny and CBS don't value bigs and CBS does not coach traditional bigs well.   They have to be spread bigs.   This is maddening to me, and although, I know the game has changed it is a perennial weakness for us for these reasons.