Author Topic: Is There Actually a Way to Trade for Davis Now without Losing Kyrie?  (Read 5302 times)

Re: Is There Actually a Way to Trade for Davis Now without Losing Kyrie?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If we were commited to Kyrie as our veteran designated, his contract would be almost 38 million in 2019-2020.

We could give him a raise up to 30 million this year, with the allowed 8% raise next year, that would be 32.4 million.

In other words, without the renegotiation, he would make 58 million this year and next (if he signed the veteran designated extension). With the renegotiation, he would make 62.4 million this year and next.

He'd actually make more with the renegotiation.

And I'm still not convinced we would make him our veteran designated extension if we got Davis.
Uh you cannot make a player your designated veteran (the supermax) if you trade for him when he's not on his rookie deal.

We did not trade for Kyrie on his rookie contract, he can never be a designated veteran for the Celtics. Same for Davis.

Good to know. I'll update my original post.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
This is an amazing idea ! As I think about it I think it’s actually possible to do it. Remember when we traded Perkins to OKC?
The thunder gave perk a raise during the season with there remaining cap space and then extended him to his desired amount for 4 years.
I will post a link next

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 12:47:52 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/3/1/2022666/kendrick-perkins-contract-35-million-thunder

Read the last paragraph... I think it’s worded wrong but the raise was $2.6M

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/3/1/2022666/kendrick-perkins-contract-35-million-thunder

Two totally different contracts though.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »

• Paul Silas
Even then... Kyrie isn't going to give up that much $$$$.

I don't understand the point of this thread DefenseWinsChamps, because this is a obsessively hypothetical scenario.

I updated the original post. Actually, Kyrie could earn about 10 million more this year and next, and then have the same amount moving forward, if he renegotiated now.

And BTW, I don't even necessarily want Davis. I just like working problems and finding solutions.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Again Kyrie isn't going to okay shipping out a talented he respects just so he can take a pay cut compared to just signing a new deal this offseason.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Two totally different contracts though.

While the contract are different what matters is whether the league would consider the newly raised salary for Irving to be a different contract than his original rookie extension.....I think it is possible that this is a loophole

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »

• Paul Silas
Again Kyrie isn't going to okay shipping out a talented he respects just so he can take a pay cut compared to just signing a new deal this offseason.

I've made the point several times now. He is getting a pay raise, not a pay cut. About 10 million between this season and next increase if he renegotiated now.

Shipping out Hayward isn't his decision, but I definitely agree that the human element of this trade seems heartless.

I'm just trying to point out that it is possible.

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I am not sure if you mentioned picks changing hands in your post but I don’t think Sacto does this without getting their pick back. I also think that the nuggets would want a pick from us as well... however I think it’s worth it

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Even then... Kyrie isn't going to give up that much $$$$.

I don't understand the point of this thread DefenseWinsChamps, because this is a obsessively hypothetical scenario.

I updated the original post. Actually, Kyrie could earn about 10 million more this year and next, and then have the same amount moving forward, if he renegotiated now.

And BTW, I don't even necessarily want Davis. I just like working problems and finding solutions.
This isn't true.

Even if the C's get enough cap room to get him to the 7-9 year veteran max salary of the 2018 year he's going to get less money doing so than just waiting till the offseason.

You cannot extend a players contract further than 5 years total counting the existing years. Also raises are based on the first year salary of the contract. The cap is going up next year so next year's maximum is going to be higher than this years.

So he'd get about 10 million more this year, but he'd be getting smaller raises, smaller salary next year, and he couldn't get the 5th year.

Oh and you'd have to reduce the talent level of this team to get the cap room.

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I've made the point several times now. He is getting a pay raise, not a pay cut. About 10 million between this season and next increase if he renegotiated now.

Shipping out Hayward isn't his decision, but I definitely agree that the human element of this trade seems heartless.

You've been wrong several times.

Its possible to extend him, its possible to restructure as well. In both cases it costs Kyrie money so he's not going to agree to it.

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Even with a restructure, he wouldn't earn as much as he could by just signing a new deal this offseason. So technically, it would be a paycut.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 01:03:11 PM »

• Paul Silas

You've been wrong several times.

Its possible to extend him, its possible to restructure as well. In both cases it costs Kyrie money so he's not going to agree to it.

I don't want to get snippy in this thread. Just show me the numbers and I'll like admit defeat. I've showed you my estimates for the numbers.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 01:05:51 PM »

• Paul Silas

Even with a restructure, he wouldn't earn as much as he could by just signing a new deal this offseason. So technically, it would be a paycut.

So he is making 20.1 million right now. Next year, he could begin with a new contract at 32.4 million.

If he renegotiated now, he could upgrade this year to roughly 30 million (because of our newfound cap space). With an 8% raise in 2019-2020, his salary would be 32.4 million.

Moving forward, he could get the same 8% raise on either contract.

That's a 10 million dollar raise if he renegotiated now. Honestly, I don't know everything about the CBA. So I could be wrong. But show me how so I can understand it better.

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 01:21:48 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

So he is making 20.1 million right now. Next year, he could begin with a new contract at 32.4 million.

If he renegotiated now, he could upgrade this year to roughly 30 million (because of our newfound cap space). With an 8% raise in 2019-2020, his salary would be 32.4 million.

Moving forward, he could get the same 8% raise on either contract.

That's a 10 million dollar raise if he renegotiated now. Honestly, I don't know everything about the CBA. So I could be wrong. But show me how so I can understand it better.

The 8% raises would be different, since they are always based on the first year of the contract (not the previous year). I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make l, but it's something to keep in mind
I'm bitter.