Poll

Tatum + Jaylen + Williams + MEM/SAC/LAC/BOS #1s + overpay Marcus Morris

Yes
20 (37.7%)
No
33 (62.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Our potential Godfather offer  (Read 8025 times)

Re: Our potential Godfather offer
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 06:19:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't know why Horford (or Hayward) isn't the cap makeweight.

Keep Smart. Keep one of Jaylen /  Tatum.

Those two guys plus Kyrie and AD give Boston a dynasty. Keep the youth and keep a long window of title contention.

Horford would presumably opt out of his contract rather than get traded to a lower lottery team.

Hayward is on a contract significantly larger than AD’s and he has negative trade value. That means NOP would want more assets, not fewer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 06:27:33 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Those two guys plus Kyrie and AD give Boston a dynasty. Keep the youth and keep a long window of title contention.

I agree and it’s my preference, however I don’t see the Pelicans having much of a need for Horford if they are rebuilding (maybe do a 3 team deal).   

One of the rumors out there is that some playoff teams might look to trade for him now for a playoff push, then flip him again during the summer knowing he has a year left on his deal.  If that were to actually happen with say a Portland or Denver, it might be easier to have a package centered around Horford and Tatum (some picks) if the team is looking to remain competitive, and not go into a full rebuild.

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2019, 07:37:17 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Horford would presumably opt out of his contract rather than get traded to a lower lottery team.

Hayward is on a contract significantly larger than AD’s and he has negative trade value. That means NOP would want more assets, not fewer.

Horford = I see that as a good thing. He opts out and NOP gets loads of cap space. If they trade with Boston, they want Tatum and picks. That is youth. A major rebuild. The cap flexibility from Horford is valuable in that scenario.

Hayward = yeah, you're right. He is a tough sell. NOP would have to  believe Hayward will improve and get back to (or close to) his previous level of play as he gets healthier. It's a long shot. Anything less than that belief and it would cost a huge amount in extra assets for Hayward to be the cap makeweight.

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Horford = I see that as a good thing. He opts out and NOP gets loads of cap space. If they trade with Boston, they want Tatum and picks. That is youth. A major rebuild. The cap flexibility from Horford is valuable in that scenario.

Hayward = yeah, you're right. He is a tough sell. NOP would have to  believe Hayward will improve and get back to (or close to) his previous level of play as he gets healthier. It's a long shot. Anything less than that belief and it would cost a huge amount in extra assets for Hayward to be the cap makeweight.

Horford would opt out before the trade, I think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I agree and it’s my preference, however I don’t see the Pelicans having much of a need for Horford if they are rebuilding (maybe do a 3 team deal).   

One of the rumors out there is that some playoff teams might look to trade for him now for a playoff push, then flip him again during the summer knowing he has a year left on his deal.  If that were to actually happen with say a Portland or Denver, it might be easier to have a package centered around Horford and Tatum (some picks) if the team is looking to remain competitive, and not go into a full rebuild.

Sorry, not sure if that was Horford or Davis you were talking about. I thought the article was about Davis.

Yeah, New Orleans could do that with Horford too and flip Horford to a playoff team before the trade deadline. Pick up an extra asset that way.

Make the trade with Boston and then a 2nd trade with Horford sending him somewhere else before the deadline.

Edit: Oh right, this is a summer deal. Nevermind. I got confused. I was thinking of the trade deadline.

But yeah, maybe a 3 team deal could work where Horford goes to a contender.

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2019, 07:48:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Horford would opt out before the trade, I think.

Oh right, this is a summer deal. Nevermind. I got confused. I was thinking of the trade deadline.

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2019, 08:41:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If Danny wants to go "all in", he can include both Tatum and Brown, along with Robert Williams, salary filler, and four #1s.  As a way of sweetening the pot for Rich Paul and paving the way for Davis in Boston, Danny could also promise Marcus Morris -- one of Paul's clients -- a $20+ million contract offer.

Does that offer make you blink? 
very, very tempting but man that's a huge payment for someone that could bolt in one year and wipe out our depth.

I don't want to give up both Tatum and Brown, particularly since the salary filler will likely be Smart.  adding in Williams and 4 picks is extremely steep.  Toss in overpaying Morris, having to now pay Rozier (likely overpay to boot) to keep some depth may just be the extra bit that kills this offer for me. 

C's start Kyrie/Rozier/Hayward/Al/Davis with Morris, Baynes, Theis as the only vet players off the bench worth a [dang] (and that's IF Morris doesn't become a malcontent being on the bench after being a productive starter).  Need Hayward to be the Hayward of old or this trade is just shooting ourselves in the foot, nevermind how thin this makes us in the backcourt and the wing positions.  C's would have very limited funds to fill out the bench with quality players -- certainly just able to get role players at best and they may not even be good, consistant role players.

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2019, 09:11:51 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

Sorry, not sure if that was Horford or Davis you were talking about. I thought the article was about Davis.

Yeah, New Orleans could do that with Horford too and flip Horford to a playoff team before the trade deadline. Pick up an extra asset that way.

Make the trade with Boston and then a 2nd trade with Horford sending him somewhere else before the deadline.

Edit: Oh right, this is a summer deal. Nevermind. I got confused. I was thinking of the trade deadline.

But yeah, maybe a 3 team deal could work where Horford goes to a contender.

Sorry I should have been more clear. The rumors I read were a playoff team trading for Davis now to make a playoff run then flipping Davis again during the summer when he has a year left on his contract. Then during the summer we send Horford, Tatum, picks to that playoff team for example Denver in exchange for Davis.

We couldn’t trade for Davis by the deadline now because of the Rose rule unless Irving is involved.

It does make it tricky though with Horford’s opt out clause this summer (not sure what deadline is for Horford opting in or out of his contract).

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2019, 09:29:16 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
AD will NOT re-sign with you if you gut your team to get him.

TP

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

TP

This is the possibility a lot of people are overlooking. LeBron is 34, and he's missing time with a groin injury. What happens if LA empties the cupboard to get Davis and father time catches up to LeBron - if he's still a good player but not the guy who could will his team to the finals - something like late-career Michael Jordan? Davis could bolt in free agency.

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think you pay Morris that much money, we've seen too many ownership groups penny pinch after handing out contracts like that even for contenders.

If that deal means you can't use the MLE for a few years or make even minor signings on your depth pieces like happened with Houston then you have to figure out another way.

I still think you hold the line on one of Brown/Tatum. Especially if all the picks are out the door and Smart has to go for salary purposes.

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Sure he will. It depends all on who the players are kept by the team to pair with Davis.

Right. We’d still have Kyrie, Horford, Hayward and Smart. Is that team “gutted”?

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Sure he will. It depends all on who the players are kept by the team to pair with Davis.

Right. We’d still have Kyrie, Horford, Hayward and Smart. Is that team “gutted”?

A year older horford could be bad.
No reason to believe hayward js a difference maker.

Kyrie amd smart are great pieces though

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Horford has been a difference maker every season of his career. He’ll fall off eventually, but there’s no reason to think that that’s inevitable.

Did you watch last night’s game? Al is still a force.

Hayward is a question mark, but worst case scenario he’s a smart player who is a bit too deferential.

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 12:24:55 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen

Horford has been a difference maker every season of his career. He’ll fall off eventually, but there’s no reason to think that that’s inevitable.

Did you watch last night’s game? Al is still a force.

Hayward is a question mark, but worst case scenario he’s a smart player who is a bit too deferential.

Al is still a force (was going through a bit of a slump earlier in the season though), but I’m not concerned about past or current performance.  Players around his age can fall off a cliff fast, or it can be gradual.  I think it’s something to be concerned about for the next year or 2.