Poll

Tatum + Jaylen + Williams + MEM/SAC/LAC/BOS #1s + overpay Marcus Morris

Yes
20 (37.7%)
No
33 (62.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Our potential Godfather offer  (Read 8014 times)

Re: Our potential Godfather offer
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Tatum + Brown + 4 firsts is an overpay, I wouldn't do it.  I also don't think anyone else can/will make an offer than forces Boston to go this far.

But a lot of this really depends on what exactly is going through Davis' mind.  He's been very quiet, much in the same way Kawhi is.  Who really knows where he wants to play, or why.  I still think this will temper the market.

But offering that kind of a ransom could still mean championships for Boston.  If Ainge feels it's right to pay that much I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 08:10:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Look I got alot riding on this

I voted YES

Im throwing my old lady in on this deal too ... ;D

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 08:42:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I need to know who we're bidding against at this point. But I think you've gotta say no regardless. Too much for one guy with durability issues.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I need to know who we're bidding against at this point. But I think you've gotta say no regardless. Too much for one guy with durability issues.

Yeah I'd like to first see what these other teams are actually offering instead of hearing all these rumors.

I do think we'll have to sadly include Tatum in a package, only questions are, can we keep Williams here and/or who between Smart, Brown do we trade. Tough questions  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
They're not giving you Davis if you don't include Brown AND Tatum.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I'd take out the LAC or BOS pick until they ask for it.

Do it nice and slow, and bargain. Maybe the Celtics can obtain him without giving up all of our draft assets!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Howard had issues galore,  mainly mental,  but Lakers chased him to the far corners of the earth daily , media was relentless , till they all could get Howard off Orlando to LA. Convinced him that was where he needed to be .  And what happened .   His smile drove Kobe and real.fans insane with rage and hate . once a big center of the decade appears,  its their god given right to have him in LA , nothing the money media and executive s won't do to have him in Hollywood .

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Funny enough, according to the poll in the 'Smart or Brown for AD thread', Celtics Strong seems to think that Smart is actually the more valuable player between the two - by a nearly 2 to 1 margin. This may be good news if you are a Brown fan and prefer to keep him.

Anyway, yeah, you pretty much do whatever it takes to get AD. I have come to terms with whatever deal DA makes if it brings us AD.

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The values of those Kings and Grizzlies picks (even Clippers) can swing between now and draft time.  If the Grizzlies pick conveys to say the 10th pick it’s probably not valued as high if it turns over next year (without Gasol and Conley on the team).  If the Kings have a second half swoon to the season maybe the pick jumps from 13 now to say 8, or if we are really lucky we win a ping pong ball that jumps into the 2-4 slots. The Clippers pick is projected to be in the teens now but still could easily convey without as much value going forward. 

Also you can’t compare Gerald Green and Al Jessferson to Tatum and Brown.  Yes Jefferson was a sought after young player at the time, but Tatum and Brown were instrumental in getting us to the conference finals last year, and probably hold more value around the league in comparison.

Also you have to look at competing offers, and see if we are vastly overpaying.  Look at the Irving trade for example it wasn’t nearly as much in value (considering Thomas’s hip injury and impending FA at the time). 

Tatum and either the Grizzlies pick if conveyed, or Kings pick if it jumps higher is a great starting point IMO.  From there you figure out what else you need to get the salaries to match Smart, Rozier S&T, adding in a 3rd team ect.

My point is I think Danny will hold firm not giving up both Tatum and Brown similar to how he held firm with keeping Rondo (and other young players like Perk and TA) in the KG trade.  I think we can still trump other offers (Lakers offer worries me a little but if Tatum is included I feel much better about ours) especially since some of weaker teams might get scared off knowing Davis can bolt after 1 year (with a player option the 2nd year).

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2019, 11:48:13 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
AD will NOT re-sign with you if you gut your team to get him.

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 12:02:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
AD will NOT re-sign with you if you gut your team to get him.
Sure he will. It depends all on who the players are kept by the team to pair with Davis.

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 12:25:57 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
They're not giving you Davis if you don't include Brown AND Tatum.

Tatum, yes, though not sure about Brown - depends what else is involved.

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 02:04:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
If Danny wants to go "all in", he can include both Tatum and Brown, along with Robert Williams, salary filler, and four #1s.  As a way of sweetening the pot for Rich Paul and paving the way for Davis in Boston, Danny could also promise Marcus Morris -- one of Paul's clients -- a $20+ million contract offer.

Does that offer make you blink?

I guess it would depend on what other teams were offering. I'd be reluctant to lose both Tatum and Brown though but on the other hand we're talking about AD.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 02:25:32 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Looks like we'll have to wait 5 months to know for sure.

Celts can't trade for AD right now.

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 05:10:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't know why Horford (or Hayward) isn't the cap makeweight.

Keep Smart. Keep one of Jaylen /  Tatum.

Those two guys plus Kyrie and AD give Boston a dynasty. Keep the youth and keep a long window of title contention.