Poll

Tatum + Jaylen + Williams + MEM/SAC/LAC/BOS #1s + overpay Marcus Morris

Yes
20 (37.7%)
No
33 (62.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Our potential Godfather offer  (Read 8010 times)

Re: Our potential Godfather offer
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 11:04:45 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
TP to Roy On the offer, I don't think there is anything else you can do.

Davis is too valuable to offer anything less. The draft picks really aren't worth anything in this deal. Another issue is salary. "Here's five guys who don't make any money for your superstar." "Ponies for a horse."

Davis/Irving/Horford/Hayward is your "big four."

What NBA team has a good competing offer?

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
TP to Roy On the offer, I don't think there is anything else you can do.

Davis is too valuable to offer anything less. The draft picks really aren't worth anything in this deal. Another issue is salary. "Here's five guys who don't make any money for your superstar." "Ponies for a horse."

Davis/Irving/Horford/Hayward is your "big four."

What NBA team has a good competing offer?

Exactly.
Nola acquires solid building blocks in Tatum, Brown and Williams. Plus good picks.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:15:33 AM by greenhead85 »

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 11:19:59 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
No to giving up both Tatum and Brown.

I am still going for the following deal:

To New Orleans: Jayson Tatum, Robert Williams, Terry Rozier (sign-and-trade), Al Horford (maybe to a 3rd team), Jabari Bird (salary filler), Kings pick, Grizzlies pick, Clippers pick, '19 Boston pick and '21 Boston pick

To Boston: Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday

New roster:

PG: Irving / Smart / Wanamaker (?)
SG: Holiday / shooter (free agent) / Dozier
SF: Brown / Hayward / Ojeleye
PF: Davis / Morris (?) / Yabusele
C: Baynes / Theis / athletic rim runner (free agent)

Horford could be traded to for example Minnesota to play alongside Towns (Horford + Hill for Wiggins + Dieng) or to Phoenix as a mentor for Ayton (Horford for Anderson + Jackson).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:27:58 AM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If I am Danny, I try to push Brown in the deal. Boston really would not be any better keeping him over Tatum. To me Brown is a guy that always has that wow factor but never will be able to live up to it consistently.

i would move Brown in a heartbeat. He is the least of the guys I would want to keep.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 11:39:37 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
No.  I wouldn't do it.  Keep in mind that Smart would probably have to be included in that package as salary filler unless we get very creative.  And with his offensive improvement this year, I'm no longer willing to discard him as mere filler.  So we'd be trading every young asset we have except for Kyrie AND giving Morris a bad contract in exchange for a single player.  I'd blink.  That's too much for me.

No trade happens in a vacuum.  Every trade is made with the expectation that it makes you a better team in your targeted window than all other available opportunities.  Are we a better team with Kyrie/Hayward/Morris/AD/Horford and whatever bench we can cobble together out of the bargain bin?  Or are we a better team if we stand pat with our current group and give them another year to jell/improve?  Or, are we better off targeting a lesser star - Blake Griffin, for example - with a much more reasonable package that wouldn't include nearly every asset we have? 

I just don't think the godfather offer for AD is the best available option for us.  I'd give up a lot for him, but I wouldn't give up everything.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The simple answer to this is yes. Davis is a legitimate MVP caliber, elite two way player who is 25/26 years old.  That’s the type of player you want to trade for.

I love Tatum and Brown but they will never be a top five player like AD.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
No.  I wouldn't do it.  Keep in mind that Smart would probably have to be included in that package as salary filler unless we get very creative.  And with his offensive improvement this year, I'm no longer willing to discard him as mere filler.  So we'd be trading every young asset we have except for Kyrie AND giving Morris a bad contract in exchange for a single player.  I'd blink.  That's too much for me.

No trade happens in a vacuum.  Every trade is made with the expectation that it makes you a better team in your targeted window than all other available opportunities.  Are we a better team with Kyrie/Hayward/Morris/AD/Horford and whatever bench we can cobble together out of the bargain bin?  Or are we a better team if we stand pat with our current group and give them another year to jell/improve?  Or, are we better off targeting a lesser star - Blake Griffin, for example - with a much more reasonable package that wouldn't include nearly every asset we have? 

I just don't think the godfather offer for AD is the best available option for us.  I'd give up a lot for him, but I wouldn't give up everything.

I am pretty much with Atzar.  I blink at that one.  Eventually too much is just too much.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 12:25:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kyrie + AD is the formula for a title.

I feel like the odds are much less than 50% that the Celts will manage to put those two together, but that's gotta be the goal.

If the worst case scenario is that we end up re-signing Kyrie and get to watch him, Tatum, and Jaylen try to figure it out together for the next 4-5 years, that's not so bad.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
No to any trade that includes both Jaylen and Tatum.

One or the other plus picks.

It's for Anthony Davis...  ::) I'll give them whoever they want other than Irving.

I am so hoping we get to the Finals this year, which should render all this talk about gutting the team to get Davis moot.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
No other  offer matters , if the Lakers can offer theirs first , with an agreement already in place behind the scenes.

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Smart wouldn’t be included.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
For this deal, I want Jrue Holiday with AD.

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I don't think we beat a Lakers offer without Tatum unfortunately.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Dunno. Thought there were rumors that AD wants to potentially do the 1+1 type deals like Durant is doing. Not to mention the threat of walking in 2020. Even Haynes put out a Kyrie rumor that it's not a given he stays.

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
<whining> You mean we have to trade Al Jefferson and Gerald Green for Kevin Garnett?  But why?

Sorry was having 2007 flashbacks. What I meant was

<whining> You mean we have to trade Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown for Anthony Davis? But why?

No seriously. Love the Jay's but, cya guys. We are getting Anthony Davis while adding him to Kyrie, Horford, Smart, Hayward, Baynes, Morris, Ojeleye, Yabusele, a taxpayer MLE player and veterans willing to play for a championship caliber team for the minimum to get a title. Sign me up.