Author Topic: Logical Gasol and Conely destinations (idea)  (Read 3118 times)

Re: Logical Gasol and Conely destinations (idea)
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 02:06:18 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Nobody is touching that 160mil Conley deal. He is worth about half what he makes. He is a top 10-15 PG, considering his injury history. But in fantasy, i do like how the original post found new homes, seams like a perfect fit.
Gasol is a easier to move of the two, so i can see that happening.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 02:17:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Nobody is touching that 160mil Conley deal. He is worth about half what he makes. He is a top 10-15 PG, considering his injury history. But in fantasy, i do like how the original post found new homes, seams like a perfect fit.

I disagree. There is a team out there that will like Conley enough to grab him.

I think the Bucks ought to take a look at him, especially with all their expirings and RFA coming up in 2019. Why not Bledsoe, Snell, and the Bucks choice of a 2019 1st, Wilson, or DiVincenzo?

To a team like the Bucks, a player like Conley gets you that much closer to the NBA finals, which gets you that much closer to keeping Middleton, which gets you that much closer to being able to resign Giannis, which makes your franchise credible for the next decade, which turns profits for the owners for the next decade.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I do not disagree that Conely's deal is a tough pill for MOST franchises to swallow. However if you are a team like Detroit who is locked into big money with few options for upgrading your roster in the next 2-3 years why not bring him in for the duration of the "Blake Era"?. What perimeter player are they going to get better then Conley?
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Would Philly have interest in Conley?  They can piece the matching salaries together easy enough if they add Fultz and Chandler.

Of course, a $30 million PG might be redundant with Butler and Simmons.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 02:24:30 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Conley to SAS for Murray, Mills, Gasol, 1st

Gasol to CHA for Monk, Biyombo, 1st

Leaves em with a young core of...

D. Murray - M. Monk - K. Anderson - D. Brooks - J. Jackson Jr.

Their pick - Romeo Langford. CHA pick - Rui Hachimura. SAS pick - Daniel Gafford.

Just a dumpster fire of a team, but they'd be bad enough to get their pick this year (top 8 protected) and next (top 6 protected). Luckily for us, the pick they owe the Celts would then roll over in to 2021 where it would be unprotected, and they'd still probably be garbage. Hope it was worth it for a year and a half of Jeff Green, LOL.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:30:06 PM by perks-a-beast »

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 02:45:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think the Bucks ought to take a look at him, especially with all their expirings and RFA coming up in 2019. Why not Bledsoe, Snell, and the Bucks choice of a 2019 1st, Wilson, or DiVincenzo?

To a team like the Bucks, a player like Conley gets you that much closer to the NBA finals, which gets you that much closer to keeping Middleton, which gets you that much closer to being able to resign Giannis, which makes your franchise credible for the next decade, which turns profits for the owners for the next decade.

Ooh...Conley would be such a better fit on the Bucks than Bledsoe.

Having a fundamentally sound, savvy PG like Conley who can play on or off the ball might very well make Milwaukee a legit contender.  Right now, despite their record and point differential, I still think they're much more 'pretender' than 'contender'.  I have zero doubts a healthy Celtics squad could handle them with little problem.  Swap Conley for Bledsoe and I'd be rather worried.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »

• Paul Silas
Would Philly have interest in Conley?  They can piece the matching salaries together easy enough if they add Fultz and Chandler.

Of course, a $30 million PG might be redundant with Butler and Simmons.

Believe it or not, Chandler and Fultz is not enough to make a trade. They would need to do a 3-for-1, including Muscala, or a 4-for-1, including Patton and another small contract. They could do it with Muscala and then rely on the buyout market to fill their backup center/shooting role.

Not a bad idea though.

Again, Mike Conley is really good at basketball. He is the point guard version of Gordon Hayward (healthy) -- smart, always makes the right play, constantly puts you in a difficult position defensively, can defend his position well, can score if needed.

He may be overpaid, but my contention is that for teams that are almost contenders like the Bucks, Sixers, Spurs, Jazz, Pelicans, etc., Conley might be the piece to get them over the top. Teams are willing to pay for a player like that.

Another team to consider is the Suns. He would be really good next to Book, and the Suns have Anderson's contract and Josh Jackson that they can put on the table. The Suns aren't really concerned about their cap yet.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

Ooh...Conley would be such a better fit on the Bucks than Bledsoe.

Having a fundamentally sound, savvy PG like Conley who can play on or off the ball might very well make Milwaukee a legit contender.  Right now, despite their record and point differential, I still think they're much more 'pretender' than 'contender'.  I have zero doubts a healthy Celtics squad could handle them with little problem.  Swap Conley for Bledsoe and I'd be rather worried.

Yup. I'm right there with you. Conley would make the Bucks scary.

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Conley's market is next summer when a lot of teams are going to have cap space and there aren't going to be that many players to use it on.  Take a team like the Knicks, if they strike out in free agency (and Zinger is healthy) then adding Conley to them might make them a playoff team, which makes them something they haven't been in awhile.  No way the Knicks even consider him now, but this summer that might change.  What if the Lakers strike out again, might they take a look at pairing Conley with James and the young kids to get James some help. 

There are certainly teams now that could use Conley, the Bucks, Sixers, and Spurs identified in this thread.  Before Wall got hurt, I actually thought a swap of Wall and Conley (plus other players) actually made sense for both those teams, but with Wall being injured, I think that would have less appeal to the Grizzlies.  Maybe Miami would be interested in Conley in exchange for Dragic (and another contract). 

The team that I think should really go hard after Conley is the Pelicans.  Is Mirotic, Hill, and Payton enough value for the Grizzlies?  That would give the Pelicans a 3rd "star" and Holiday was better at SG last year with Rondo handling the point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The team that I think should really go hard after Conley is the Pelicans.  Is Mirotic, Hill, and Payton enough value for the Grizzlies?  That would give the Pelicans a 3rd "star" and Holiday was better at SG last year with Rondo handling the point.

I don't know if their ownership is willing to have three max contracts long term.  They treat the Pelicans like an afterthought compared to the Saints.

But if they are, that team would have a fantastic core.  Davis / Holiday / Conley are all really well-rounded players on both ends.  Of course, they'd have to dump Alvin Gentry, who doesn't care about defense at all.

(As an aside, it amazes me that Davis is on the verge of demanding out, and the Pelicans aren't doing everything in their power to improve the team and/or shake things up.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 03:43:53 PM »

• Paul Silas
No kidding. Take a shot, Pelicans.

Offer Randle, Mirotic, Hill, Moore, Wes Johnson, and two future firsts for Gasol, Conley, Casspi, and Mack.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Jazz interested in Conley (and Otto Porter) according to Shams

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 04:18:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gasol has really looked cooked the last few months. He is averaging 12 points, 8 and 5 this month while shooting 40% from the field, 25% from 3. Last month he was also awful averaging 13,7 5, 39%, 30%. Now there is a chance he has not recovered from an ankle injury he had earlier in the season, but that is a scary two month period for a 34 year old that you could pay 25 million to next year. His defense has also really slipped the last few months I have read. I feel like people need to pay attention to this kind of slump for a guy this old when throwing around trade ideas (not saying this specifically to OP, just in general, his value probably is not at high as some think).
A bit of that has been altered by playing less minutes in blow outs though. Like 25 minutes against SAS, Houston and Milwaukee, as well as below 30 minutes against New Orleans and Detroit, all of which are well below his season averages of 34MPG

That is really not true at. He averaged 33 minutes a game last month and I gave the numbers for that (which were awful). It is a little lower at 31 this month, but 32 average for the two months is really his average. The shooting 39% from the field is a lot more important than playing maybe 60-90 seconds less per game. He has been awful (by his career standards) and it has nothing to do with minutes.
Do you not think his recently announced back issue, lesser minutes and worse shooting are all inherently related? I think they’re all pretty clearly related

If his back has been bothering him for a few months, then yea, absolutely that could explain his drop in production. However, I haven't really heard that at all, and I am also not sure if he is really injured or this is just a tanking/hold out for trade phantom injury.

As for your minutes thing, you just got to let that go, that is just not what happened and completely irrelevant. Lets throw out this entire month for fun. Last month when he averaged 33.2 minutes per game he averaged 13 points, 7 rebounds and shot 39% from the field and 30% from the 3. He was just flat out bad (which bad defense to boot).

By comparison over the course of entire last year he averaged 17 points, 8 rebounds and shot 42%, 35% with much better defense in the exact same 33 minutes per game. Two years ago he was at 19.5, 6.5 on 46%,39% in 34 minutes. He is clearly declining and it doesn't have anything to do with a few minutes less a game cause of a blowout loss or two.
It's like he heard you.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)