Author Topic: 2008 Draft Lottery Thread  (Read 15520 times)

Re: 2008 Draft Lottery Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:24 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Prediction: Wade won't play seventy games, Mark Blount will still be Mark Blount, and if Miami overpays to keep Marion and Davis they won't win anything more than a first round series.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 08:55:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Bulls won the draft lottery? Lucky fellas

They should take Derrick Rose. They won't, Paxson doesn't have the gumption. He'll take Michael Beasley who'll be a solid fit. Unfortunately he won't trade Tyrus, then he'll fail to make the consequential moves from this past year leaving a non-contender in place. At least they'll be better than last season. Should be a dangerous playoff team.

Reisendorf needs to fire John Paxson. Fire him now. Every attractive GM candidate in the league would love that Bulls job right now. So much to work with that is already in place.

I actually think Beasley is the better choice.  They need a post scoring threat, and Chicago has 2 zillion point guards not to mention a combo guard or two in the mix.  Derrick Rose is from Chi-town so it would be a popular choice but Beasley is the choice that makes the most since for their current team configuration, but I agree it makes sense to trade Thomas.

Problem is none of them are good enough

Kirk Hinrich is a solid 4th or 5th best player. However he doesn't have the creativity, passing, playmaking, or ability to run the break to truly take advantage of their athletic big men. His perimeter shooting is average. So altogether average offensively for a starting point. In fact his best seasons came when he was playing the majority of his time at shooting guard next to Chris Duhon.

Then comes Ben Gordon who creates as many problems as he solves. The Bulls backcourt was killed last season by bigger two guards. It was their single largest defensive flaw and by a huge margin. On the other end Gordon is sparkplug full of scoring but he's not a truly dominant offensive player. Just a streaky scorer.

That backcourt isn't a titan and it isn't going to beat a titan. One has a big long term contract, the other likely will soon enough.

Then you have two more years at Larry Hughes who's a solid player and streaky scorer. Unfortunately his streak scoring stops him from pulling away from Gordon. Those two splitting court time does nothing except limit each other and their team. It also limits Thabo who has great size and defense on the wing.

Beasley short term is the best fit but in order to build a title contender they have to break up that backcourt. Might as well do it now and have a guy who's likely the best player in the draft and can be the cornerstone of your next team. The Bulls are never going to get a chance to get another player this good this early in his career at the point.

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Wolves should take Mayo.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I agree the Wolves should probably take a long look at Mayo, atleast. He might have some issues but there's still a chance we winds up better than Rose, I think.

As for Chicago, I don't really see Beasley helping them out too, too much in the low post where they've desperately needed help for years, probably since they traded Eddy Curry, or Elton Brand even. So I'm thinking they probably go with Rose and try to get the most out of a up-tempo style of ball and try to make the most out of their offensively limited front line.