Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76849 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Pats got absolutely lucky—lucky that they have Brady. Some other guys on offense made good plays, especially Cooks and Hogan, but ...

the Patriots defense is absolutely atrocious. Getting Hightower back will help, but not THAT much (nevermind the question of whether he'll be able to stay healthy the rest of the season, which is a big "if"). Pass rushing is an area in which Belichick has never placed a ton of emphasis, much to my dismay, and that seems unlikely to ever change. Malcolm Butler hasn't really been himself so far, and even Gillmore has been beaten badly a couple of times. Belichick and Patricia definitely have some puzzles to solve.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
1. The Pats will continue to get better over the course of the season, and the division looks as easy to win as ever.

2. The defense looks as bad as I can remember it looking, even considering how early it is in the season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Will somebody do me a favor and explain how the Pats went from a decent defense last year to maybe the worst defense in the league this year?

Im genuinely mystified.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Will somebody do me a favor and explain how the Pats went from a decent defense last year to maybe the worst defense in the league this year?

Im genuinely mystified.

Absolutely unbelievable.  The defense on the last 2 Carolina receptions was jaw-dropping.  Teams scoring at will against Pats this season.

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Im genuinely mystified.
A lot of the on-field leadership from last year (Hightower, Nink, Long) are gone and defense seems a bit lost. Thats my best explanation. They will figure it out.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Im genuinely mystified.
A lot of the on-field leadership from last year (Hightower, Nink, Long) are gone and defense seems a bit lost. Thats my best explanation. They will figure it out.

Looked like communication issues on both the TD and the previous play before the half.  Poor tackling has also cost them today. Getting confused on screens again. 

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Hot knife through butter.   Panthers eating Pats defense for dinner.

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Fumble.  That's about all we could hope for. They look just horrible.

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
I won't keep posting by myself -  I promise, but one last one...   Pats incredibly fortunate to pull out last week's game.  Pats will not be so lucky today if they can't score every time they have the ball.  The wide open miss by Brady on the last possession was big.

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2017, 03:47:52 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tom Brady is the GOAT

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2017, 04:03:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Deserved to lose.   Defense is just horrible.

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Really troubling stuff out of the defense today, and this year. Not that it's an excuse, but somebody clearly has it out for Stephon Gilmore. Those two hands to the face penalties were very sketchy and came at literally the worst times.

Glad to see Brady is still Brady, but I would personally like to wipe the slate clean with the defense and see what Belichick/Patricia can put together, because this isn't working.

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
So much for 19-0, thank god we're in the AFC East and can still win the division starting 2-2. We've made every opposing quarterback look like an All Pro. To be fair, Cam is an MVP, Brees is a HOFer, Watson looks like the ROY, and Smith isn't a scrub. But still, the defense is just getting carved up.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Welp. The only real positive going forward is knowing that in the 2014-2015 season, LOTS of changes were made on defense (many departures, and additions of Revis, Browner, ETC.), and they lost season opener, then lost 4th game of season and started 2-2, BEFORE going on to WINNING the Super Bowl. (They gelled together and communicated better since)

But man.. this defense just looks WAY WORSE than that 2014-2015 team though.

Stephon Gilmore occasionally makes good plays, but then gets burned and has penalties like that. YEESH.

But as bad as the secondary was, lets be real.. they are forced to cover receivers for almost 10 seconds every single play just b/c our pass rush is TRASH. I mean, notice how once the Pats FINALLY got pressure on Cam.. the Panthers drives stalled quickly (and almost stalled again before that BS Gilmore penalty).

Unfortunately that pressure from pass rush only seems to come in spurts and the remaining 3.5 quarters are spent seeing a QB take 10 seconds to burn our defense.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the defense started out shaky last year and got progressively better throughout the season.  I remember being surprised late season... like they had gotta sneaky-good with time. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:30:04 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC