Poll

The better fruit

Banana
Strawberry

Author Topic: Banana vs Strawberry (the better fruit part II)  (Read 25804 times)

Banana vs Strawberry (the better fruit part II)
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
The apple vs orange thread ended up bringing up so many fascinating points that I thought I'd throw another round of fruit debate at you all.  I thought long and hard about which tasty morsels to choose as Round 2's combatants.  While banana and strawberry may seem to be from opposite ends of the fruit spectrum they are quite often paired up to make a yummy treat,

For me this ones easy, as I consider the banana the king of the fruit world.  It's a nice filler between meals, goes great on cereal, as a dessert, in a smoothie.

The only drawback I can see against the banana is that its not the most refreshing fruit when you're thirsty.

Love a nice ripe strawberry, but I've got to with the banana as the better fruit.

The banana also has many useful aspects as a humorous prop...The slippery banana peel on the floor trick...The banana phone joke...

BANANAS!
Yup

Re: Banana vs Strawberry (the better fruit part II)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:49:24 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:54:35 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
The apple vs orange thread ended up bringing up so many fascinating points that I thought I'd throw another round of fruit debate at you all.  I thought long and hard about which tasty morsels to choose as Round 2's combatants.  While banana and strawberry may seem to be from opposite ends of the fruit spectrum they are quite often paired up to make a yummy treat,

For me this ones easy, as I consider the banana the king of the fruit world.  It's a nice filler between meals, goes great on cereal, as a dessert, in a smoothie.

The only drawback I can see against the banana is that its not the most refreshing fruit when you're thirsty.

Love a nice ripe strawberry, but I've got to with the banana as the better fruit.

The banana also has many useful aspects as a humorous prop...The slippery banana peel on the floor trick...The banana phone joke...

BANANAS!

And don't forget, my clownish friend, perhaps the greatest banana prank of all: Eddie Murphy's banana-in-the-tailpipe antics to the dismay of Taggart and Rosewood as Axel Foley in "Beverly Hills Cop."  Definitely a favorite.

But with that said, I'd caution that strawberries can answer right back to your first three points: I've cut them into my cereal many a time, had them in desserts (I live around the corner from bakers who make a killer strawberry rhubarb pie) and I would go so far as to maintain that a top-notch strawberry smoothie bests a top-notch banana smoothie.

That said, I should confess that as good as strawberry rhubarb pie is, it probably doesn't top banana cream pie.

And I've spent nearly my entirely life playing basketball with a guy who brings bananas to eat between games for their potassium value, and I must admit, I've become quite a booster of the between-pickup-games banana.

I think this could be the toughest match-up you come up with of the fruit world, Redz....and Dannon may agree, so much so that the yogurt company once (still?) featured strawberry banana yogurt.  It didn't quite measure up to their world-class coffee flavor, but it was pretty good in its own right.

I'm abstaining from the vote for now until I see some further evidence on both sides...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

BANANAS!

And don't forget, my clownish friend, perhaps the greatest banana prank of all: Eddie Murphy's banana-in-the-tailpipe antics to the dismay of Taggart and Rosewood as Axel Foley in "Beverly Hills Cop."  Definitely a favorite.

But with that said, I'd caution that strawberries can answer right back to your first three points: I've cut them into my cereal many a time, had them in desserts (I live around the corner from bakers who make a killer strawberry rhubarb pie) and I would go so far as to maintain that a top-notch strawberry smoothie bests a top-notch banana smoothie.

That said, I should confess that as good as strawberry rhubarb pie is, it probably doesn't top banana cream pie.

And I've spent nearly my entirely life playing basketball with a guy who brings bananas to eat between games for their potassium value, and I must admit, I've become quite a booster of the between-pickup-games banana.

I think this could be the toughest match-up you come up with of the fruit world, Redz....and Dannon may agree, so much so that the yogurt company once (still?) featured strawberry banana yogurt.  It didn't quite measure up to their world-class coffee flavor, but it was pretty good in its own right.

I'm abstaining from the vote for now until I see some further evidence on both sides...

-sw

I rest my case ;)

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:23:38 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I love strawberry flavoured icecream and other strawberry dessert, but I'm not a BIG dessert man unfortunately. Banana goes well from breakfast to bedtime snack, and it actually fills you (more than strawberries anyway) and gives you good energy and great for the body, that's another vote for the B-fruit
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
unless we have a fan here

I dont think so.

this is just too easy R.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:50:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm definitely on the side of this argument, but I'm going with strawberries.  Strawberry ice cream, strawberry milk, strawberry daiquiris, strawberry shortcake...  all are solid.  I happen to think that bananas are a bit overrated; I like them, but don't love them.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 09:55:07 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
By themselves strawberries are better.

But one of my favorite things to drink is a chocolate/banana milkshake. So this is a tough one.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I'm definitely on the side of this argument, but I'm going with strawberries.  Strawberry ice cream, strawberry milk, strawberry daiquiris, strawberry shortcake...  all are solid.  I happen to think that bananas are a bit overrated; I like them, but don't love them.

hey Roy keep yourself to cs talk... ;D    ;)    :-X

Just for the record u have a point
Strawberry is better when u mix it with something
Straight
Banana is superior...
Man i dominate this topic..... ::)

lol I just read KW comment seems like we disagree there...lol

maybe is just I dont like sour fruits

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
By themselves strawberries are better.

But one of my favorite things to drink is a chocolate/banana milkshake. So this is a tough one.

I'm not the world's biggest Steak-n-Shake fan, but to your point, Kwhit, they make a mean "Banocolate" side-by-side shake.  It's a good one.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 09:58:43 PM »

Offline seeingreen34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Banana. For one simple reason.

The strawberry you eat is not really a fruit or a berry but is the enlarged receptacle of the flower.

http://www.bouquetoffruits.com/fruit-facts/strawberry-facts.html

And what makes this better fruit debate even weirder is that not only is a strawberry not a berry but a banana technically is a berry.  ::)

http://www.fcs.okstate.edu/cnep/ask/answers/banana.htm

And bananas can be put in a sandwich with peanut better.

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
                  "Even I like bananas better"
Yup

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
straight up bananas.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 12:31:05 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Banana. For one simple reason.

The strawberry you eat is not really a fruit or a berry but is the enlarged receptacle of the flower.

http://www.bouquetoffruits.com/fruit-facts/strawberry-facts.html

And what makes this better fruit debate even weirder is that not only is a strawberry not a berry but a banana technically is a berry.  ::)

http://www.fcs.okstate.edu/cnep/ask/answers/banana.htm

And bananas can be put in a sandwich with peanut better.

Whhhaaaaa ???

Now that brings up another point, strawberries make a great jam (or jelly is the same I think), which you can also put in a peanut butter sandwich, I'm sure the Celtics will choose the Strawberries over bananas for this reason.

but it baffles me why Brian is wearing a banana suit? Maybe bananas are just better...
Anything is possible!!!