Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 450281 times)

Re: Kanye West and the vile art of shouting down opponents
« Reply #990 on: October 13, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Kanye West is obviously a divisive figure.  He's probably not the first guy I'd turn to for political opinions, but neither is Robert DeNiro or Taylor Swift or Jane Fonda.  To be charitable, the celebrities who speak loudest about political issues aren't always the best advocates for the positions they're advancing.

What I don't like is that nobody wants to debate Kanye on ideas, or even address the ideas that Kanye is espousing.  I mean, does he have a point about violence in Chicago?  Does he have a point about how things haven't gotten much better for the poorest of black Americans over the last several decades?  Has the near-total allegiance to the Democrat Party been helpful to African-Americans, or are they instead just used as a voting block?  Do identity politics spring from a genuine desire to help people in certain constituencies, or just to pay lip service to them in order to get elected?

There's lots to be debated there.  Instead, this is what we get from the media:

Quote from: Don Lemon
What I saw was a minstrel show today—him in front of all these white people, mostly white people embarrassing himself and embarrassing Americans but mostly African Americans

Quote from: CNN commentator Bakari Sellers
“Kanye West is what happens when Neg***s don’t read.”

Quote from: CNN commentator Tara Setmayer
"Black folks are about to trade Kanye West in the racial draft, OK .... He’s the token neg** of the Trump administration.”

Is this where we are in 2018?  The thing you attack about Kanye West is...  his race? 

Call the guy incoherent, call him misinformed.  Those may be legitimate points.  Debate him on the merits.  But come on, don't go for racial cheap shots.

For years, the left has been using the term "racist" as a sword against legitimate criticism.  Scarily, that seems to be morphing into an even more radicalized agenda, where one's race is used against him or her as an attack.  In Kanye's case, he's attacked because he's black (except using uglier language).  In Susan Collins' case, prominent leftists attacked her for being a "white woman".  (And let's not even get into all the leftist attacks on Lindsey Graham for allegedly being a closeted homosexual.)

The trend recently has been to "shout down" opposing speech, rather than addressing it thoughtfully.  By bringing race into it, that ramps that up even further.  How the hell is this okay?
Ah. I see. You thought the left wishes to "debate" about "ideas".  They dropped the "tolerant" label years ago. 
To be a woke leftist you have to be anti capitalist, anti family, anti unborn baby, anti traditional marriage, anti Christian, anti white cis gender male, and you definitely have to be anti-non violent. And you have to believe only certain authorities on the left should have guns. They're a step away from Mao's cultural revolution.
Labeling all those who consider themselves liberal in the way you have is as wrong as others labeling conservatives in a broad brush. This is against the Current Events forum rules. Let's not do it anymore.
woah woah woah woah. I didn't label anyone. This is how they label themselves quite clearly. Saying they're a step away from Mao is a value judgement to be sure, but you have specific Dems running on anti capitalist platforms. How is that me labeling them? That's me reading the label they give themselves. Go to any liberal progressive page. These are absolutely the adjectives, labels, and beliefs they use. I'm showing that I'm listening to them. 

Re: Re: Kanye West and the vile art of shouting down opponents
« Reply #991 on: October 13, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As a public service announcement that all long-term members should be familiar with:  if you disagree with a staff member's public warning, bring it up via PM or in the Comments and Remarks thread.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #992 on: October 13, 2018, 12:48:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
As a public service announcement that all long-term members should be familiar with:  if you disagree with a staff member's public warning, bring it up via PM or in the Comments and Remarks thread.
So staff members can publicly call us out, but we can't do it back? We can only privately do it or procedurally do it?

Quite a few posts here are about "Democratic Party shills". Mine are no different.

« Reply #993 on: October 13, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So staff members can publicly call us out, but we can't do it back? We can only privately do it or procedurally do it?

Quite a few posts here are about "Democratic Party shills". Mine are no different.

To be clearer:  if you continue to take this or other threads off-topic by specifically disobeying our rules, you'll be booted from the forum.

Quote from: Blog Rules
Interactions with Celticsblog Staff:

Respect and obey moderators and administrators at all times.  Do not challenge a staff member's authority or dare them to ban you; such challenges will result in discipline.
    If a member of the staff asks you to do something that you find objectionable, the proper course of action is to comply, and then write either that staff member or another member of the staff a private message indicating your disagreement, and the basis thereof.
    Celticsblog rules, and the application thereof, can be discussed in the dedicated thread stickied at the top of the Comments / Suggestions forum.  All such commentary should be confined to that thread; it is inappropriate to start a new thread for purposes of “calling out” the staff, either by name or collectively.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #994 on: October 13, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

To be clearer:  if you continue to take this or other threads off-topic by specifically disobeying our rules, you'll be booted from the forum.

Respect and obey moderators and administrators at all times.  Do not challenge a staff member's authority or dare them to ban you; such challenges will result in discipline.
    If a member of the staff asks you to do something that you find objectionable, the proper course of action is to comply, and then write either that staff member or another member of the staff a private message indicating your disagreement, and the basis thereof.
    Celticsblog rules, and the application thereof, can be discussed in the dedicated thread stickied at the top of the Comments / Suggestions forum.  All such commentary should be confined to that thread; it is inappropriate to start a new thread for purposes of “calling out” the staff, either by name or collectively.
I don't see where you got this from and I don't see where the "Comments/Suggestions" forum is unless it means the Comments and Remarks Forum.
I've seen the rules in the past. I don't see them now.

« Reply #995 on: October 13, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Freedom of speech doesn't really exist here  :police:

« Reply #996 on: October 13, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This is a private domain, the 1st Ammendment does not apply. It's no different than if someone came to your house. You have the right to tell that person what type of speech you will, or will not, allow.

« Reply #997 on: October 13, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

This is a private domain, the 1st Ammendment does not apply. It's no different than if someone came to your house. You have the right to tell that person what type of speech you will, or will not, allow.
Ah. But whose house is this?

« Reply #998 on: October 13, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I don't see where you got this from and I don't see where the "Comments/Suggestions" forum is unless it means the Comments and Remarks Forum.
So I understand that Comments/Suggestions means Comments and Remarks, which makes sense.

Where is the list of the rules? I thought it was on this site, and assume it still is. I've looked in several places?

« Reply #999 on: October 13, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So I understand that Comments/Suggestions means Comments and Remarks, which makes sense.

Where is the list of the rules? I thought it was on this site, and assume it still is. I've looked in several places?

The Announcements forum.

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #1000 on: October 13, 2018, 01:21:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1001 on: October 13, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Thank you. I thought it would be at the top. It was second.

« Reply #1002 on: October 13, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I would like to know why Roy H is allowed to label Kanye's critics "Democratic Party Shills" but I am not allowed to list clear progressive beliefs of the progressive wing of the Democratic party, and why I got a warning, but he did not.

I was publicly accused of "labeling in a broad brush" and was told if I didn't like it to privately disagree or to comply and then bring it up procedurally in an entirely different thread. And yet Roy was not labeling with a broad brush?

I consider this an obviously targeted double standard and request an explanation/clarification and an apology.

Further......before mods continue to threaten to remove people from things, many of whom donated to this page, I think it would behoove them to realize who the owner of this site is, and is not, and to realize this page now has a monetary component. I hope they have checked with byennie and his partner about his vision for a business model and whether or not it's appropriate going forward to threaten to remove eyeballs from a site that relies on them for advertising.

Perhaps it would make sense for byennie and/or his partner to review the rules and re endorse them or edit/revise them as he thinks he may need to. Perhaps that should be annual.   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:54:08 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #1003 on: October 13, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Further......before mods continue to threaten to remove people from things, many of whom donated to this page, I think it would behoove them to realize who the owner of this site is, and is not, and to realize this page now has a monetary component. I hope they have checked with byennie and his partner about his vision for a business model and whether or not it's appropriate going forward to threaten to remove eyeballs from a site that relies on them for advertising.

Perhaps it would make sense for byennie and/or his partner to review the rules and re endorse them or edit/revise them as he thinks he may need to. Perhaps that should be annual.

I'm pretty sure Byennie is familiar with our rules.  Since he's asked the current mod staff to remain on board, I think he also knows that members who refuse to obey the rules will no longer be part of the site, regardless of advertising, donations, etc.

The CelticsStrong staff won't be bought, and we won't stop enforcing our long-standing rules because of petty threats. 

« Reply #1004 on: October 13, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And to be completely clear here, this is obviously against the rules of the CE Forum:

To be a woke leftist you have to be anti capitalist, anti family, anti unborn baby, anti traditional marriage, anti Christian, anti white cis gender male, and you definitely have to be anti-non violent. And you have to believe only certain authorities on the left should have guns. They're a step away from Mao's cultural revolution.

From the rules:

Do not label or challenge fellow posters -- either individually or collectively -- in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response.

Do not engage in partisan attacks, unsupported generalizations, or mockery of opposing viewpoints.

Also, Roy's use of the term Democratic shills was aimed at CNN and their commentators that made the despicable comments towards Kanye. I am liberal and can see that CNN, MSNBC and many radio and you tube channel hosts are Democratic shills. I also believe that Fox and a bunch of radio and you tube hosts are Republican shills.   

Given that this is a definition of a shill there is nothing wrong with what Roy said:

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:24:35 PM by nickagneta »