Author Topic: Superstar Trades-Salary matching for max contract stars like AD is an issue  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
One major issue with having two max contract guys on the roster in Hayward and Horford is that it makes superstar trades difficult because of the need to match salaries. This will only get worse if Isaiah is maxed out next year.

Take for example attempting to trade for Anthony Davis. In order to be able to trade for Davis and his $23.7 Million contracts the salaries that the Celtics need to send out have to add up to $19.6M.

Looking up and down the roster it's extremely difficult with our cap sheet not to give up too much in that scenario. This is without including the draft picks that NO will demand

For example:

Crowder
Morris
Smart
Rozier

For AD doesn't work because the salaries don't add up, the Celtics would still need to send back more salary

Crowder
Morris
Smart
Rozier
Brown

works but sending out 5 for 1 isn't ideal.

Trying to trade for a max superstar without including Isaiah is incredibly problematic, looking at the cap sheet one has to wonder if the Celtics are really in for AD, then maybe there is no hope but to trade Isaiah. Especially if he is demanding $30 M+ next season.

Then you really have to throw guys like Tatum, Crowder, Brown and fillers into a trade for a max contract star.

Can anyone else think of realistic trades that work for AD with the current roster taking into account cap rules?

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Best one I could think of is:

IT4, Brown, Crowder, Morris, + BKN 18' & Lakers/Sac first round picks for Anthony Davis.

Smart/Rozier
Hayward/Green/Bird
Tatum/Nader/Ojeleye
Horford/Theis/Yabusele
Davis/Baynes/Zizic

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
You're not getting AD without including Tatum or Brown (and very likely both). Brown+Crowder+Morris+Rozier+Rookie (likely Semi/Nader/Theis/Zizic) and picks does the trick without giving up too many rotation players

More likely, though, we's be giving up Brown+Tatum
I'm bitter.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
I know we want the team to trade for Davis today,  but optimistically this is something that will happen a year from now at the earliest, if it happens at all.

Thomas and Smart will have very different contracts by then (if they're still with the team).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
It's not going to happen.

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If it is difficult, you get creative and include a third team, even a fourth team, under the cap or to help match. Just like the Knicks did to send Ewing to Seattle.

Also, as I've said in the other thread, in 2018 Tatum, Rozier and Brown will have higher salaries and matching Anthony Davis' salary would be different than today.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Smart, Tatum/Brown, Morris, Baynes and both of the Brooklyn and Lakers/Kings/Sixers picks would work salary-wise and be a very attractive offer at the deadline.

A trade over the summer is very easy if getting Smart in a S&T is part of it.  Otherwise it's more difficult until a month after you've signed first round picks.

And no, we're not trading IT for him.  Please stop.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Smart, Tatum/Brown, Morris, Baynes and both of the Brooklyn and Lakers/Kings/Sixers picks would work salary-wise and be a very attractive offer at the deadline.

A trade over the summer is very easy if getting Smart in a S&T is part of it.  Otherwise it's more difficult until a month after you've signed first round picks.

And no, we're not trading IT for him.  Please stop.

There's also the option of signing Marcus to an extension this autumn and using that salary in the summer. Although I expect Danny would prefer the flexibility of waiting.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In those circumstances, we'd just package Horford. He'd have 1 + 1 left on his deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Horford seems like the most obvious option. He may very likely be sent to a third team with other players/picks going to NO from that team, but carrying 4 max players on our roster really isn't sustainable.

Also, I would be very surprised if Brown, Tatum, BKN pick, LAL/Sac pick all get sent out in a trade. What other team can even offer close to that? In this scenario, I guess I am assuming Brown and Tatum actually show their worth as top 3 picks and that the LAL/Sac pick lands in the top 5. I just don't know the precedent for a trade like this - it certainly isn't any of the recent trades for stars...and yes, I realize AD is just another all-star.

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Suprised to see that most people think that the answer is to trade Horford.

Just wondering how would that reflect on Boston? Trading a max free agent 1 and a half seasons into his contract.

Obviously if AD is avaible you do it, just wonder if agents and potential free agents might get down on Danny for doing that.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
In those circumstances, we'd just package Horford. He'd have 1 + 1 left on his deal.

You wouldn't do that because you'd be in complete win now mode. There are other ways to do it that make more sense.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
IT+Hayward+AD+Horford is way better than IT+Hayward+AD.  I don't see why we would even consider trading Horford when we would already be giving up at least one young player (ie Jaylen or Jayson).  I'd rather have Horford and min guys like Green filling out the roster than still have Morris+Crowder+end of bench rookies.

Yes, trading Horford makes the trade easier, but it also makes the team worse than trading our spare parts.  If you're going for a championship now (which trading for AD would certainly indicate), keeping Al is the best option
I'm bitter.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Just wondering how would that reflect on Boston? Trading a max free agent 1 and a half seasons into his contract.

Obviously if AD is avaible you do it, just wonder if agents and potential free agents might get down on Danny for doing that.

It's extraordinarily unlikely they'd trade Davis at the deadline. They'd probably fire Gentry first. So, assume this is next summer. Horford will have played half his contract. I don't think free agents really care about that.

And, what's with the notion that trading for Davis would be a "complete win now" move? Davis will be 25 next summer. Horford will be 32. You don't make roster moves based upon what is better for Horford's window.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

It's extraordinarily unlikely they'd trade Davis at the deadline. They'd probably fire Gentry first. So, assume this is next summer. Horford will have played half his contract. I don't think free agents really care about that.

And, what's with the notion that trading for Davis would be a "complete win now" move? Davis will be 25 next summer. Horford will be 32. You don't make roster moves based upon what is better for Horford's window.

Because there's no way you could trade for Davis without giving up a ton of future assets.  At that point, your choices are to either go all in or try to build around AD without any good future picks (and likely without one of Jayson/Jaylen
I'm bitter.