Author Topic: Will the Dwight trade push Danny to go for another big man?  (Read 9069 times)

Re: Will the Dwight trade push Danny to go for another big man?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
You don't structure your team for a team you MIGHT meet up with in the finals. You have to worry about the east before the west even becomes an issue. To panic rush out and get somebody right now would be stupid. Let the season play out first. Once again, the lakers are in the west in case you guys forgot.

Yeah, each time you say this I agree more.  Let's worry about Miami first.  I know the Lakers are the hot news story, but the HEAT are the defending champions.

Getting a quality big IS the best way to beat Miami.  Matching up better with LA is an added bonus.

In the case of Miami, I'd say that KG can be that quality big.  Anyone else in that ballpark won't be easily available.

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
You don't structure your team for a team you MIGHT meet up with in the finals. You have to worry about the east before the west even becomes an issue. To panic rush out and get somebody right now would be stupid. Let the season play out first. Once again, the lakers are in the west in case you guys forgot.

Yeah, each time you say this I agree more.  Let's worry about Miami first.  I know the Lakers are the hot news story, but the HEAT are the defending champions.

Getting a quality big IS the best way to beat Miami.  Matching up better with LA is an added bonus.

Eh, we took them to the limit with KG and Bass (and 2 bigs that barely made one, in Hollins and Stiems)... now we have, KG, BASS, SULLY, COX, COLLINS, GREEN, and MELO!!! You people are exaggerating about our big men depth! You say it's the best way to beat the cheat, when they were beating every team with very good big men or a group of good big men (they were slaughtering LA last season, you can't get a better set of big men until this season, and to me this is slightly better for LA)! What beats Mia, is defense on Brinda and Wade, we made Wadena human but had no depth to handle Brinda! LA beat us last season both times BARELY, but we had pretty much NO ONE worth mentioning that were big men, now we have a slew (our worries are injuries)!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 06:03:48 PM »

Offline gotjoker?

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
In my opinion, the answer's no.  Irrelevant.  Personally, I would prefer if Boston had a true center to start as opposed to starting Garnett at center who isn't a center, nor does he (honestly) want to play there.

I would like to have DeMarcus Cousins from Sacramento in a trade if it were realistic.  He would allow Boston to compete against the Roy Hibbert, Al Horford, Joakim Noah, Anderson Varejao, Nene, Greg Monroe and Tyson Chandler lead teams in the eastern conference.  Now, you add Andrew Bynum, Jonas Valanciunas/Andrea Bargnani and Brook Lopez to this group and, suddenly, Boston would seem as if to be one of the have-nots.

I don't know what to expect from a rookie in Jared Sullinger or Fab Melo next season, but I still believe that Boston hasn't addressed the weakness that's rebounding on this team.  Jason Collins is a surprise choice (Erick Dampier?) for the veteran minimum if not a disappointment altogether.  Ainge might as well have signed his twin brother, Jarron, as a two-for-the-price-of-one deal in free agency.  I don't know, we'll see...  Jason did play with Kidd with New Jersey and will now play with Rondo.  I mean a true point guard does have a way of making marginal centers appear better than they are.  CoughcoughcoughMikkiMoorecough.

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 07:04:11 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I still think it's worth taking a flyer on Oden on a 2 year minimum deal.

I am almost positive that if that was on the table Danny would have taken it. I'm not sure I would keep a GM that wouldn't take a flier on Oden for 2-years @ the minimum. Harmless and full of upside.

For the record I think that signing would make the Celtics the odds on favorite over the heat. Then again Oden probably wants to be in Miami more. If it were up to me I'd offer him the BAE for 2 years. I think that might sway him. Worst case scenario he's our Eddy Curry.

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I think Celtics should to sign other player for the paint, I would love Cousins, he have very talent.

We need to have a deep bench, and the season is very long. KG should not play many minutes until they start the playoff, and Collins is not important player, Sullinger is a rookie, Bass only gives me my guarantees.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

As idiotic as the Maloof brothers are, I don't see them giving up a potential franchise cornerstone in Cousins. Cousins has the potential to develop as one of the top 3 centers in the league. I believe it would be easiest (relative to other big men) to seek the acquisition of Josh Smith, Al Horford, or one of Utah's big men.

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
As idiotic as the Maloof brothers are, I don't see them giving up a potential franchise cornerstone in Cousins. Cousins has the potential to develop as one of the top 3 centers in the league. I believe it would be easiest (relative to other big men) to seek the acquisition of Josh Smith, Al Horford, or one of Utah's big men.

I love your signature, is very beautiful, I think Big Al Jefferson for the Celtics, I ´m totally sure, Big Al is the best answer for D12.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
For the record I think that signing would make the Celtics the odds on favorite over the heat.

I don't think there is any realistic signing that can make that happen.

The Celtics are better off gambling on trying to find a guy with little or no NBA experience who has had some seasoning overseas, the way the Celtics got Stiemsma and the Hawks got Ivan Johnson last season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The worst thing we could do is simply sign a random big body simply for the sake of doing so.  This knee-jerk type of reaction was responsible for teams overspending and overdrafting large, talentless stiffs to counteract Shaq throughout most of the '90s.  The problem was that 7-0 300 lb guysstill couldn't stop Shaq anymore than 6-10 250 lb guys could and they were useless in nearly every other department. 

We already have someone in Collins who guards Howard well and is limited in other areas.  If Danny could magically sign someone of Nene or Chandler's quality to a minimum deal right now, of course it'd be a good idea.  But signing some random 7-foot stiff isn't the answer.  If one of our big men went down, the C's are much more likely to either make a trade or go small than actually just play some big guy without talent just because he has size. 

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 04:24:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
I hate to say this but the Celtics  need Bynum .

First to keep him from going to the Heat , where a Heat/Bynum  vs LA/Howard battle would have Stern drunk with joy for the next 5 years.

Its got stupid , the NBA...I predicted 3-4 years ago , Howard would be Laker and ....

The way Stern runs this mess, the top 5 or 6 players get divided up between TWO teams and thats the deal.

Bynum won't stay , he''l be on his way to Miami just as soon as Riley can figure out a way to make the money work.