Author Topic: KG Said It Best:  (Read 17348 times)

Re: KG Said It Best:
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
to me here is the shame.

this was one of the best played, most entertaining games of the year. both teams played hard and well. durant is amazing, as is westbrook. and it is ruined by another brutal officating game. the league has a betting/gambling/ref scandal and it is buried. here we are, not even a year later, donaghy's phone buddies still work games, the officiating has not improved, stern smugly denies there is a problem, espn does not want to tarnish the nba product, so they never bring it up.

but the league has a serious problem. and when great games by two good teams are ruined by three dorks with whistles, make no mistake, there is a problem.
Or ruined by homer announcers who present an obscenely one-sided homer view of every game.

while I tend to be annoyed with Tommy's homerism too, I was at the game and must say this one was one-sided.
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2010, 09:29:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I remember a point in Bird's career where is pat'd pump fake, foul, fall away jumper for 3 out of the blue was no longer fouls.  Again its another stern/nba/ref thing but he ALWAYS got that call as he should of since it was a foul.  He suddenly no longer got the call for an unknown reason, again this wasn't a single time, the entire move/foul call stopped.  I truly feel that someone in the media needs to go after the system.  bryant gumble?
In his book, Tim Donaghy talks about how on a regular basis, refs would get videos and memos before games that would point out a move made by a particular player or team and tell them to be on the look out for it and to clamp down on it.  Or maybe a move not to call like LeBron's crab dribble.  But that would explain why suddenly something that was always called now isn't called. 

It's like in the NFL when a bunch of coaches said "Hey, Randy Moss is pushing off you better call that!" Then all the sudden he was called for it constantly even though most players do it ALL the time.

You might have also noticed: they've taken away KG's dream-shake fadeaway. He's not allowed to do it anymore, period. Despite the fact that it was legal for twelve years and he did it every game, its now supposedly a travel. That's according to these refs, David stern and their mutually idiotic standards and ideas. God I hate stupid people.
Because KG travels all the time on that. I don't know if he didn't shuffle his feet when he was younger, but those are really easy call right now. Nothing objectionable there.

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I remember a point in Bird's career where is pat'd pump fake, foul, fall away jumper for 3 out of the blue was no longer fouls.  Again its another stern/nba/ref thing but he ALWAYS got that call as he should of since it was a foul.  He suddenly no longer got the call for an unknown reason, again this wasn't a single time, the entire move/foul call stopped.  I truly feel that someone in the media needs to go after the system.  bryant gumble?
In his book, Tim Donaghy talks about how on a regular basis, refs would get videos and memos before games that would point out a move made by a particular player or team and tell them to be on the look out for it and to clamp down on it.  Or maybe a move not to call like LeBron's crab dribble.  But that would explain why suddenly something that was always called now isn't called. 
When did he say that they got video and were told to not call LeBron's crab dribble? I only ask because people like to insinuate that the league tries to make special rules for LeBron.

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Cleveland ranks 7th in the NBA in FTA per game(strangely the C's rank 11th but their differentials stink).
The Celtics foul a lot. It's part of their defensive strategy. No layups, no easy shots at the rim, foul them and put them on the FT line and make them earn it. It's part of the reason why their defensive FG% has been so good because they eliminate a chunk of those high percentage shots by fouling. If you compare their defensive eFG% back in 2008 to Houston and San Antonio, there is a large advantage for Boston, but that difference decreases when you use opposing TS% instead because it accounts for the Celtics strategy of making an opponent earn it at the line.

The Spurs, for example, take the opposite strategy and choose not to foul on those shot attempts. So their opponents take a low number of FTs. Byron Scott did the same thing in New Orleans and NJ. They believe the fouls and that free throws, high percentage scoring opportunities, cause more damage than a contested shot.

Also, think of Utah. They are physical team that gets to the foul line a lot every night but they also foul more than almost any other team in the NBA. So they don't have a good FT differential.

That is the main reason why Boston's FT differential isn't great despite their good number of attempts. Especially last season when Boston was up near the top of the league in FTA/FGA for most of the season but in the bottom third in opponents FTA/FGA.
It is hard for many to appreciate this when they hear Heinson all the time babbling about FT disparity (when it is not in our favor).

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2010, 09:46:23 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Cleveland ranks 7th in the NBA in FTA per game(strangely the C's rank 11th but their differentials stink).
The Celtics foul a lot. It's part of their defensive strategy. No layups, no easy shots at the rim, foul them and put them on the FT line and make them earn it. It's part of the reason why their defensive FG% has been so good because they eliminate a chunk of those high percentage shots by fouling. If you compare their defensive eFG% back in 2008 to Houston and San Antonio, there is a large advantage for Boston, but that difference decreases when you use opposing TS% instead because it accounts for the Celtics strategy of making an opponent earn it at the line.

The Spurs, for example, take the opposite strategy and choose not to foul on those shot attempts. So their opponents take a low number of FTs. Byron Scott did the same thing in New Orleans and NJ. They believe the fouls and that free throws, high percentage scoring opportunities, cause more damage than a contested shot.

Also, think of Utah. They are physical team that gets to the foul line a lot every night but they also foul more than almost any other team in the NBA. So they don't have a good FT differential.

That is the main reason why Boston's FT differential isn't great despite their good number of attempts. Especially last season when Boston was up near the top of the league in FTA/FGA for most of the season but in the bottom third in opponents FTA/FGA.
It is hard for many to appreciate this when they hear Heinson all the time babbling about FT disparity (when it is not in our favor).

Do you want us to appreciate the fabulous Zebra circus we witnessed last night? When the opposition fans agree that the refs. were openly biased...then why can't you? You can't rationalize everything for the sake of being rational.

This is from Thunder's blog. I guess their spirits were possessed by Heinson too..
Ha ha Boston is having a tough year, but they have a better record than us.

If we want anything other than a 8th seed weed need this one. I predict a hard fought victory

Celtics are slippng. Rondo vs. Russell is going to be the premiere matchup in this one. Russ drops 30 on Rondo

Sorry guys. I have to go with the realist in me...
THUNDER - 89
Green guys - 97

Celtics are hungry but Thunder playing better ball. I'm jut worried a little bit about all those point in the paint by the C's...and now Collison has 2 PF's.

Where is the D?

Well, aint no D in Boston Celtics, but there aint no D in Oklahoma City Thuner either :D

Boston shot 71% that half so only being down by 4 isn’t such a bad deal. I hope they cool off so we can take it back to them in the second half.

Not having a good feeling on this one

That was a ridiculous 1st half
Hopefully the old guys get worn down in the 2nd half

I'm surprised that the refs are giving us a lot of calls. Celtics not getting any respect from them. Very surprising but I'll take it.

We lucked out on that call. 3 free throws and he wasn't shooting. I can't get over the way the refs are calling this game. I thought the Celtics would get all the calls. If we win we should send the refs a thank you note.

Glen Davis p--- me of...he was trying to injure Kristic thumb.

The referees are definitely on Thunder's side... Wow Durant is getting Lebron fouls. I love Durant but [dang], anything touching him is a foul.
As horrible as the Celtics announcer is, I have to agree with him. The refs are on OKCs side tonight. I’ve seen some horrible calls going the other way too but by far OKC is benefiting from the awful refs

Every possession counted, it was just a slug fest , back and forth ......... What a game.

It sucks have it decided by the refs especially when both teams were putting on an awesome show.

Great win tonight. We got lucky with some of the calls, but that **** happens.

KD made more free throws than the entire Boston team. Hahahaha.

We definatly got some lucky calls, but that's basketball. Some days the calls go against us...remember it's not like we're Cleveland and get ALL the calls
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:53:01 PM by barefacedmonk »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Do you want us to appreciate the fabulous Zebra circus we witnessed last night? When the opposition fans agree that the refs. were openly biased...then why can't you? You can't rationalize everything for the sake of being rational.

This is from Thunder's blog. I guess their spirits were possessed by Heinson too..
Ha ha Boston is having a tough year, but they have a better record than us.

If we want anything other than a 8th seed weed need this one. I predict a hard fought victory

Celtics are slippng. Rondo vs. Russell is going to be the premiere matchup in this one. Russ drops 30 on Rondo

Sorry guys. I have to go with the realist in me...
THUNDER - 89
Green guys - 97

Celtics are hungry but Thunder playing better ball. I'm jut worried a little bit about all those point in the paint by the C's...and now Collison has 2 PF's.

Where is the D?

Well, aint no D in Boston Celtics, but there aint no D in Oklahoma City Thuner either :D

Boston shot 71% that half so only being down by 4 isn’t such a bad deal. I hope they cool off so we can take it back to them in the second half.

Not having a good feeling on this one

That was a ridiculous 1st half
Hopefully the old guys get worn down in the 2nd half

I'm surprised that the refs are giving us a lot of calls. Celtics not getting any respect from them. Very surprising but I'll take it.

We lucked out on that call. 3 free throws and he wasn't shooting. I can't get over the way the refs are calling this game. I thought the Celtics would get all the calls. If we win we should send the refs a thank you note.

Glen Davis **** me of...he was trying to injure Kristic thumb.

The referees are definitely on Thunder's side... Wow Durant is getting Lebron fouls. I love Durant but [dang], anything touching him is a foul.
As horrible as the Celtics announcer is, I have to agree with him. The refs are on OKCs side tonight. I’ve seen some horrible calls going the other way too but by far OKC is benefiting from the awful refs

Every possession counted, it was just a slug fest , back and forth ......... What a game.

It sucks have it decided by the refs especially when both teams were putting on an awesome show.

Great win tonight. We got lucky with some of the calls, but that **** happens.

KD made more free throws than the entire Boston team. Hahahaha.

We definatly got some lucky calls, but that's basketball. Some days the calls go against us...remember it's not like we're Cleveland and get ALL the calls

It's just too hard for some fans and the media to admit that it was a horrible officiated game. Instead of being biased people are being as unbiased as they can possibly be. Just because you are a fan of the team and don't want to seem impartial doesn't mean that you can't call it as it was.

For anybody that actually watched the game there was no doubt that many many many calls went against the C's from start to finish. Not every single call and we got calls too but let's be realistic the thunder got a lot more calls. I don't think they ever even said anything to the refs. I mean, they couldn't. There wasn't one play where they could even argue because everytime they were breathed on a foul was called.

If that game was refereed by any other crew last nightn we would have won with out a doubt. I honestly think that  if that game is refereed again 100 more times, that 99 times out of those 100 we would come out with a win. I don't know what you were watching or what you are thinking if you do not believe that. The calls that the thunder were getting and the inconsistency that the game was being called on our side was about as one-sided as I have seen.

We all know that referees in the NBA are horrible. Why can't people just admit when they ref an absolutely horrible game?

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2010, 10:40:30 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Quote from: CelticG1 link=topic=36546.msg720462#msg720462 [/quote

It's just too hard for some fans and the media to admit that it was a horrible officiated game. Instead of being biased people are being as unbiased as they can possibly be. Just because you are a fan of the team and don't want to seem impartial doesn't mean that you can't call it as it was.

For anybody that actually watched the game there was no doubt that many many many calls went against the C's from start to finish. Not every single call and we got calls too but let's be realistic the thunder got a lot more calls. I don't think they ever even said anything to the refs. I mean, they couldn't. There wasn't one play where they could even argue because everytime they were breathed on a foul was called.

If that game was refereed by any other crew last nightn we would have won with out a doubt. I honestly think that  if that game is refereed again 100 more times, that 99 times out of those 100 we would come out with a win. I don't know what you were watching or what you are thinking if you do not believe that. The calls that the thunder were getting and the inconsistency that the game was being called on our side was about as one-sided as I have seen.

We all know that referees in the NBA are horrible. Why can't people just admit when they ref an absolutely horrible game?

With you on this one...I understand that some people like to be as rational as they can be...but trying to shield Stern's puppets from any criticism after their pathetic effort last night is just plain ridiculous.

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2010, 10:41:57 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

You do understand the difference between missing a call and making a bad call on purpose?

Many lose perspective when they here homers game after game.

Perhaps this is why many fans hate listening to home town broadcasters for other teams. They don't want to have to face the fact that the victim mentality of their team's announcer is about as valid as the victim mentality of other team's announcers.

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2010, 10:44:44 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

With you on this one...I understand that some people like to be as rational as they can be...but trying to shield Stern's puppets from any criticism after their pathetic effort last night is just plain ridiculous.
Yeah, Stern hates 3 future HOFers and another current all star. In fact, aliens showed me evidence.

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
You do understand the difference between missing a call and making a bad call on purpose?

There were 3 pairs of eyes that were being paid to not "miss" any calls. You can miss a few calls....thats expected...but how do you justify 17-34 disparity? You didn't need Heinson barking in your ear to notice the difference.

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2010, 10:51:06 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Yeah, Stern hates 3 future HOFers and another current all star. In fact, aliens showed me evidence.

Did those aliens also buy a pair of glasses for you? Maybe alien technology might help you see what a LOT of other people saw.....you are trying to defend something that can't and should not be defended...and I didn't say that Stern hates our players..I simply used a term for those 3 men that were masquerdaing as refs last night.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:05:32 PM by barefacedmonk »

« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Many lose perspective when they here homers game after game.

...and you are here to put things in perspective for those homers?

« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Did you think that the game last night was reffed evenly? Did you think it was poorly referred? Did you think it was an absolutely terribly called game? I'm just curios if you admit that it was officiated terribly or not.

I don't know if you or any one else ever does this but watch the game on mute. If you watch it on mute you don't have to listen to Tommy or stupid announcers on national broadcasts and you get to really focus on the game. If you watch that game on mute there is no doubt that you will have to put the volume back on just to even know what is being called several times in the game. It will really open your (anyone's) eyes to how ridiculously bad those ref's were.

On a side note sometimes if I watch it on mute for a while ( I can't do it the whole game) there will be guys that I thought played fantastic and it's when you can really see sertain guys "doing all the little things" . Then when I watch it over again with sound, or listen to commentary after the game those guys or nowhere to be mentioned. It's cool cause there will be a bench player that's just hustling, making rotations, playing help D, making those extra passes etc, and that stuff just doesn't get mentioned during the game

« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2010, 11:11:36 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
TP for posting those comments from the thunder board.

And I know Tommy wasn't affecting my thought process because I was saying the things he said right before he said it!

« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

It's like in the NFL when a bunch of coaches said "Hey, Randy Moss is pushing off you better call that!" Then all the sudden he was called for it constantly even though most players do it ALL the time.

You might have also noticed: they've taken away KG's dream-shake fadeaway. He's not allowed to do it anymore, period. Despite the fact that it was legal for twelve years and he did it every game, its now supposedly a travel. That's according to these refs, David stern and their mutually idiotic standards and ideas. God I hate stupid people.
Because KG travels all the time on that. I don't know if he didn't shuffle his feet when he was younger, but those are really easy call right now. Nothing objectionable there.

I've never seen a replay of him doing that move where they zoomed in on the feet. I don't think he travels. Also, if he does, then I still take issue with the switch from non-call to travel because of the lack of consistency. If (hypothetically) he was always traveling then they always should have called it like it was traveling.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.