Author Topic: Rondo's Shooting lately  (Read 2711 times)

Rondo's Shooting lately
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Just read this from Covers.com

24 – Shooting percentage of Boston’s point guard, Rajon Rondo, outside of 15 feet over the last 20 games. Rondo has only connected on 13-of-55 shots from that range, including a dismal 2-of-17 from deep.

I hope he gets out of his slump come the first round.

Re: Rondo's Shooting lately
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:59:15 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I dont know that its a slump.  Hes just an awful shooter.  His shot comes and goes and its pretty much out of his control as for when it comes and when it goes.  Lets just hope it comes in time for the postseason.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He's one of the better shooting point guards from inside 15 feet but one of the worst from outside 15 feet. I think he's had a few shots lately where he kind of did a fallaway that I didn't like but I've gotten the feeling on a lot of his outside shots lately (a lot of the few that he takes...) that it wasn't the shot that he wanted the team to end up with on that possession.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i want him to go to the hoop and finish or set up a team mate.  i dont care about his jumper.

what i do care about is free throw shooting.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:19:28 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Kind of interesting how he kept hitting 3s in the house contest at the all-star break.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
The playoff teams (like Utah and San Antonio) have been clogging the middle to take away his penetration, giving him all the outside shots he wants. He really doesn't want them, and his outside shot is not going to improve much at this point in the season.  Hopefully, he'll improve it by next year. 

The other shooters will have to hit from outside consistently in the playoffs in order for the middle to open back up for Rondo. That will be the key to our success on offense.  (Cross your fingers.)

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Kind of interesting how he kept hitting 3s in the house contest at the all-star break.

wide open, take ur time, no defense is the reason.

his shoes were untied i think, so that tells u something....its HORSE and not a real game. even tho he isnt a good shooter, he is still a pro, so when under those circumstances, a lot of pros can make them like that.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:21:38 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I feel like the shot does come and go. He seemed to be more comfortable taking the shot in the early-middle part of the season and now he rarely takes one. When he does, they don't look like they have a chance of going in. KG/Pierce being back and carrying more of the offensive load is changing the amount of offensive looks Rondo gets, but he will need to refine this a lot more in the playoffs as teams will ditch him.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Big men shoot poorly usually because of their huge hands. Rondo has huge hands...many can overcome that and still be spectacular jump shooters...Rondo will never overcome that.

Eventually he needs to be a hugely reliable elbow jump shooter. It's okay if his free throw percent sits at 70% for his career.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
yeah, imagine if Rondo added a reliable mid-ranged jumper to his game - it would make his jersey number 9 that much more intimidating ::shudders::

..not saying that the NBA should have a 'gansta' vibe but it is scary to think how effective Rondo would be if he could put teams away with ranged shots after his passing game has helped us to establish a lead, which is usually when he attempts a jumper to begin with. Unfortunately he might miss because he isn't in rhythm yet and that messes up his confidence so later he'll pass up open looks because he knows he has a cold hand. If you'll remember he was shooting well in the NBA horse contest so it's not like he can't shoot the ball, the shots just might not be falling for him in games.

~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Rondo's jumpshot I think will improve better but he probably needs some more time. What I do like is that in the meantime he seems to have gotten better in what are probably the easier to improve areas - FT shooting and finishing layups and those tough floater kind of shots. IMO progress in any direction is good even if it may not be in the area that would most help the team.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:30:18 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
i want him to go to the hoop and finish or set up a team mate.  i dont care about his jumper.

what i do care about is free throw shooting.

The free throw shooting definitely needs improvement.

However, If he can get a decent level mid range or 3 point game, then he can go from being a borderline all star to a legit superstar. We'll see what happens in the next couple years.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
And this is one of about 8,000 reasons why I think Rondo is overrated in the NBA. As a point guard, if you can't shoot, what good are you?

Not only can he not shoot, but is sometimes very sloppy at passing and turns the ball over often.  Ironically, the one thing he can be good at is defense.

But he has many holes in his game still. He gave Billups fits last week but couldn't even touch Deron Williams or Manu Ginobli.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 09:53:21 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
He just needs more in-game practice with his jumper...and unfortunately, he hasn't been getting any in-game practice lately. Each of the games this month, we've been emphasizing getting the Big 3 going, trying to play like we've been playing in the Championship season.

Like a lot of people have said - just look at the HORSE game, it's not like he can't shoot. I think once Rondo gets to the point where he knows it's ok to shoot when he's open, that it's ok to not have to look for Ray/KG/Paul for options 1/2/3, he'll be more confident in his jumper.

I wish we got him more opportunities to shoot jumpers in games, and not just last-second shots when he has no choice.

I'm hoping Rondo's 70%+ free throw shooting continues into the playoffs. Has anyone noticed him practicing free throws during pregame introductions? It's pretty clever actually... the lights are flashing in the Garden, it's crazy noisy, and the crowd even starts booing when the opponents are introduced - it's just like a playoff atmosphere!

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Well, it's disappointing because for a good part of the season it was looking like his mid range jumper was improving a lot, but recently he's regressed.  Perhaps he was just hot for a while.  Hopefully over the next year or two he actually does improve that jumper significantly, or he's going to have a hard time elevating his game from where it's currently at.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers