Author Topic: Strongest guy in the nba and the celtics  (Read 6251 times)

Re: Strongest guy in the nba and the celtics
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Boykins has short arms, that's why he can bench so much. Very small range of motion.

Yup.  You can't emphasize how much of a difference short arms make when it comes to benching.

I've never understood this theory. Yes it's a small range of motion but the other guys have arms and chests probably three times the size of him. Doesn't that even out?

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 02:02:08 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Nene and Artest should be on that list....pound for pound I would have to go with Derek Fisher.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Boykins has short arms, that's why he can bench so much. Very small range of motion.

Yup.  You can't emphasize how much of a difference short arms make when it comes to benching.

I've never understood this theory. Yes it's a small range of motion but the other guys have arms and chests probably three times the size of him. Doesn't that even out?

Says the short guy.

No I'm kidding, but this is a fight I had all through highschool with one of my friends. I'm 6'4 and he's 5'3 or 5'5 (depending on his shoes), and I was really busting my hump to get up to reps at 325 and he got there in like 11th grade.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I heard Gerald Green used to put up, 10, even 20 pounds at any given time, simply amazing stuff - he got the trophy all the way over his head, and it only took 3 tries!

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

It's simple physics. He gets more leverage. The chest is the muscle doing most of the work and the further away the force is from the chest, the more torque the chest will endure. The shorter the moment arm (in this case his arms), the less torque on the body.

Think of a wrench. The longer the wrench handle is, the more force you can put on the bolt with less turning force at the hand.

Edit: The wrench example confuses the point sorry. The bolt is the chest muscle. The longer the wrench handle, the more torque you put on the bolt with the same amount of force turning the wrench. So...same weight on the bench press, more torque on the chest with longer arms.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:34:42 PM by Greenbean »

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I'd go with Shaq, and if Wilt played during this decade he'd no doubt be a inhuman monster. The guy was a monster in the 60's when weightlifting for basketball as unheard of.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Says the short guy.

No I'm kidding, but this is a fight I had all through highschool with one of my friends. I'm 6'4 and he's 5'3 or 5'5 (depending on his shoes), and I was really busting my hump to get up to reps at 325 and he got there in like 11th grade.

Maybe your buddy was just stronger than you. Now i'm kidding. I'm not denying that it doesn't play a factor I just didn't really understand why. Although it was odd when I could lift more than some of my friends who were bigger. I usually just attributed it to my mental and physical abilities. I like sticking with that reasoning a little more

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

Says the short guy.

Maybe your buddy was just stronger than you. Now i'm kidding. I'm not denying that it doesn't play a factor I just didn't really understand why. Although it was odd when I could lift more than some of my friends who were bigger. I usually just attributed it to my mental and physical abilities. I like sticking with that reasoning a little more

See my post above.

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I still can't emphasize how impressed I am by Earl Boykins benching 300+.... Earl Boykins!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 02:52:33 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Says the short guy.

See my post above.

Yeah I was just looking at that. Makes a lot more sense especially after you explained the wrench analogy a little bit further haha

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 02:55:26 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

Says the short guy.

See my post above.

Yeah I was just looking at that. Makes a lot more sense especially after you explained the wrench analogy a little bit further haha

Yeah that was confusing it a bit.

Hey but who knows, maybe Newton was just a long armed physicist who needed a reason why he couldnt bench press squat when he came up with this stuff. ;)

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 03:16:46 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Corey Maggette?

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Are we talking strength here or power? If it's just strength then are we talking pound for pound or just the ability to move the most weight? On pure power I'd go with Shaq. I doubt you would find a single player in the NFL who could do what Shaq did 15 years ago when he toppled the whole goal post, backboard and all over. In fact I bet you couldnt find another NFL player in the last 15 years. BBD wouldnt be far behind either on pure power.

Strength is a different thing though. The ability to move a certain amount of weight while isolating a few muscles is strength. Boykins is apparently very strong as I bet Nate would be with his legs. Wilt was probably the strongest to ever play the game but he wasn't more powerful then Shaq.

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd go with Shaq, and if Wilt played during this decade he'd no doubt be a inhuman monster. The guy was a monster in the 60's when weightlifting for basketball as unheard of.

As obsessed as Wilt was with individual numbers, I think he'd've been a gym rat too.  Plus I'm sure he'd be willing to get a little "creative" with his supplement regimen.  Would probably have wound up built like a thicker Dwight Howard.  Which is a pretty scary thought.

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Wilt already was a thicker version of Howard and probably much, much stronger.