Author Topic: Tim Duncan or KG  (Read 25471 times)

Re: Tim Duncan or KG
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Pretty hard to pick one over the other. Personally, I like KG...liked him when he was in Minnesota and love him as a Celtic. So, I pick KG. One thing that Duncan lacks is the power to intimidate his opponent. KG is clearly better at it...or atleast was until he went down last year. I'll never forget the way he bullied Gasol in the finals. :)

Oh, also, Tim can't do this:

or this.. ;D

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Wow...just crossed my mind that we were having greatest odds to draft Duncan...darn lottery. But imagine if Grizzlies won the Duncan lottery. Celtics would still suck in late 90'ties, but Spurs would have won 0 championchips and Fakers would have more championchips then Celtcs...So it wan a bad thing-good thing...
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Pretty hard to pick one over the other. Personally, I like KG...liked him when he was in Minnesota and love him as a Celtic. So, I pick KG. One thing that Duncan lacks is the power to intimidate his opponent. KG is clearly better at it...or atleast was until he went down last year. I'll never forget the way he bullied Gasol in the finals. :)

or this.. ;D

Tim doesn't have to.

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2010, 06:07:16 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

or this.. ;D

Tim doesn't have to.

I meant it as joke.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Tough question.

I don't like to use the "4 rings" argument to claim Duncan's the best player. On the other hand, his 4 rings talk for his career and his accomplishments but, for example, would you argue that Kobe is better than KG because he has 4 rings (I know they don't play at the same position but still)? I wouldn't.

Both Duncan and KG are the ultimate winners. You can argue that Duncan had better teammates than KG in Parker and Ginobili but on the other hand Timmy made them better than they were at first (and they played better because they played alongside Tim). KG never had quality teammates in Minnesota except for the '04 season.

I think Duncan and Garnett really are very similar in terms of talent and production, and their careers have taken a different direction (like the rings show) but I would take Duncan over KG by a slight margin because of his ability to step up in big games and dominate some (Game 1 against the Suns in 2007 and his amazing 3 pointer comes to mind first when I think of "stepping up" and having a big impact).

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2010, 06:22:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Tough question.

I don't like to use the "4 rings" argument to claim Duncan's the best player. On the other hand, his 4 rings talk for his career and his accomplishments but, for example, would you argue that Kobe is better than KG because he has 4 rings (I know they don't play at the same position but still)? I wouldn't.

Both Duncan and KG are the ultimate winners. You can argue that Duncan had better teammates than KG in Parker and Ginobili but on the other hand Timmy made them better than they were at first (and they played better because they played alongside Tim). KG never had quality teammates in Minnesota except for the '04 season.

I think Duncan and Garnett really are very similar in terms of talent and production, and their careers have taken a different direction (like the rings show) but I would take Duncan over KG by a slight margin because of his ability to step up in big games and dominate some (Game 1 against the Suns in 2007 and his amazing 3 pointer comes to mind first when I think of "stepping up" and having a big impact).
Yes. I would totally argue that Kobe is better than KG because of the 4 rings. Granted I'd say three of them were piggy backing on Shaq, but KG's was piggy backing on PP and Ray

Duncan's teammates weren't that great. Shaq had way better ones.  With a Kobe or a D Wade Duncan probably would have had 7 and we're putting him in the MJ/Russell discussion.

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Tough question.

Yes. I would totally argue that Kobe is better than KG because of the 4 rings. Granted I'd say three of them were piggy backing on Shaq, but KG's was piggy backing on PP and Ray

Duncan's teammates weren't that great. Shaq had way better ones.  With a Kobe or a D Wade Duncan probably would have had 7 and we're putting him in the MJ/Russell discussion.

So Robert Horry is better than KG too because he has 7 rings, right?

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Tough question.

So Robert Horry is better than KG too because he has 7 rings, right?

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 06:52:21 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Kobe with Shaq of the Lakers, u can't compare to with KG cause that's comparing apples and oranges.

2nd fiddle vs franchise player?

apples vs oranges

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

or this.. ;D

Tim doesn't have to.

I meant it as joke.

Whew...thanks for clearing that up.  Some folks seem to have expressed here (not in this thread) that KG's trash talking is some sort of basketball skill, or some indication of intimidation, defensive advantage, or whatever.

Personally, I think it's a sign in immaturity.  But that is likely a minority opinion on CB...

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I always preferred KG. I love his style of play, the intensity and passion. He was an absolute basketball monster at his best. Too bad he was stuck in Minnesota for so long.

It's really not fair to compare chmpionships ring betwwen KG and TD. It's mostly all about being in the right situation. I have no doubt that KG would be with no less rings than TD if it wass the other way around.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
KG. Duncan's insanely good also though.

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2010, 08:14:43 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Just take away championships, would anyone in their right mind choose Duncan as the better Basketball Player, who is inferior to KG at the FT line and perimeter anything (defense, jump shooting etc.) & less versatile than the agile and more athletic and more intense leader that KG embodies?

I think not.

(Duncan really only has 4 titles as his "aces" up his sleeve to fall back on)

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Duncan might have been the more successful player, but KG is the better all around basketball player.
I would take KG anyday over Tim Duncan.

If you were to build a basketball player from scratch, would it go something along these lines?:
Tall, strong, quick and agile, can shoot the ball, can handle and pass the ball. A great team player, and plays excellent defence, ability to guard all positions (at least better than what others can).
Anything is possible!!!