Author Topic: Trade Not Happening  (Read 2086 times)

Trade Not Happening
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I've been a big proponent of making a trade during the losing streak, but now I realize it probably is not the best idea. The reason we want to make a trade in the first place is because our bench players are under performing. We want to trade them because they are playing poorly but that is the same reason no one wants those players.
Most of the trades proposed here have us trading one of our under performing players with a pick,or a player of value. We should not trade Ray he is a huge part of the reason we are champs. Giddens and Walker can not be traded. We don't have a first round pick this year and we need to keep them to keep our young talent stocked. The other reason we can't trade our swing men pair is that they have more value to us than other teams in the league, which means we would not get equal value for them.
We could trade BBD, Powe, House or TA but we will not get fair value for them. All are playing semi poor ball right now and are not wanted by other teams. If they are wanted other teams view right now as a time to buy low on them, which we don't want.
What the Celtics need to do is ride this one out. See if Powe or BBD pick it up, see if Gabe is worth anything, work the rooks into the rotation if needed.
If next year Gabe, the rooks and POB show they can play then you can move TA, Eddie and Scal (almost 9 million in expiring contracts if house signs his player option) for a good vet that can help out.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Trade Not Happening
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I've been a big proponent of making a trade during the losing streak, but now I realize it probably is not the best idea. The reason we want to make a trade in the first place is because our bench players are under performing. We want to trade them because they are playing poorly but that is the same reason no one wants those players.
Most of the trades proposed here have us trading one of our under performing players with a pick,or a player of value. We should not trade Ray he is a huge part of the reason we are champs. Giddens and Walker can not be traded. We don't have a first round pick this year and we need to keep them to keep our young talent stocked. The other reason we can't trade our swing men pair is that they have more value to us than other teams in the league, which means we would not get equal value for them.
We could trade BBD, Powe, House or TA but we will not get fair value for them. All are playing semi poor ball right now and are not wanted by other teams. If they are wanted other teams view right now as a time to buy low on them, which we don't want.
What the Celtics need to do is ride this one out. See if Powe or BBD pick it up, see if Gabe is worth anything, work the rooks into the rotation if needed.
If next year Gabe, the rooks and POB show they can play then you can move TA, Eddie and Scal (almost 9 million in expiring contracts if house signs his player option) for a good vet that can help out.

Yeah, the only problem is TA and house have a clause in their contract that allows them to reject trades. I'm pretty sure that applies to next season as well.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:40:41 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
If I could just add... Has Scal's value ever been higher? Ainge would say no... It's no longer "Who is going to take this guy off our hands" but rather "How much value can we get for this guy". With a great on and off court attitude, ability to play great team defense and an attractive contract that is set to expire right before the summer of 2010 why not start thinking about a return? There are many opportunities out there for the C's to capitalize and who better to get the job done? Ainge is now notorious for turning his poop (or "mistakes") into to gold. I have faith he will do it again.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
What do you think we could get for Scal straight up with his value being as high as it's ever been? I say still not very much.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:02:15 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
What do you think we could get for Scal straight up with his value being as high as it's ever been? I say still not very much.

The same as any expiring contract in this economy and NBA landscape. Heck, Camby (16 RPG)was traded for nothing but financial relief. There are a lot of different possibilities with teams scrambling to get as much under the cap as possible for the summer 2010.

Chances are Scal will not be traded by himself with a package around his expiring contract being the more likely scenario.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

The same as any expiring contract in this economy and NBA landscape. Heck, Camby (16 RPG)was traded for nothing but financial relief. There are a lot of different possibilities with teams scrambling to get as much under the cap as possible for the summer 2010.

Chances are Scal will not be traded by himself with a package around his expiring contract being the more likely scenario.
Camby makes like 12 million. Scal makes 3 million he does not give financial relief by himself. I don't think Scals expiring contract is that much of a trading chip because he is making a relatively small sum. Other expiring contracts added to Scals would net the C's something substantial but we don't have those other expiring contracts (besides Ray). As I said earlier the package would probably include Giddens, Gabe, and/or Walker all of which aren't that appealing to other teams. With us over valuing our young players and other teams under valuing them you should not expect a trade now or in the near future.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:36:43 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Camby makes like 12 million. Scal makes 3 million he does not give financial relief by himself. I don't think Scals expiring contract is that much of a trading chip because he is making a relatively small sum. Other expiring contracts added to Scals would net the C's something substantial but we don't have those other expiring contracts (besides Ray). As I said earlier the package would probably include Giddens, Gabe, and/or Walker all of which aren't that appealing to other teams. With us over valuing our young players and other teams under valuing them you should not expect a trade now or in the near future.

It's more than likley Scal get's traded before his contract is up. But yeah, I agree, it's more likely to happen in a deal like the one you described than him being dealt by himself.

$3.5 Million (next season) is actually a pretty good chunk of change and can be the difference between a team being in or out of the Luxery Tax.
Take Balkman for example. The Knicks traded there high energy 1st round pick to rid themselves of $1.3 Million. That allowed the Knicks to save over $2.5 because of the luxery tax. Denver got a polished 1st round pick for two players that were expiring and were cut by the Knicks.

Scals contract can save a team almost 7 million... just imagine the possibilities.  :)

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Scals contract can save a team almost 7 million... just imagine the possibilities.  :)

Now all we have to do is find some GM who is hurting for cash and the team owner is on his case. Then we gotta sell him that Scal can help his team somehow and would be a good addition before we point out the cap savings. Maybe we should use the veteran presence angle? How about the good locker room guy thing? Or maybe we should sell that he's a smart player, you know the brain type thing? Good teammate anyone? 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku