Author Topic: I want Garnett to stop barking and start playing  (Read 7228 times)

Re: I want Garnett to stop barking and start playing
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 09:22:19 AM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
WOW - I couldn't agree more with you Titlemaster. I am sick of KG's intensity in games, the way his teammates feed of his energy is sucks. Especially the way he made two guys like Ray Allen and PP that were not know for defense play sick defense down the strect last year. Also might I add the way Perk has developed in no way has to do with the barking KG does, Perk would have developed better on Mark Blount, no doubt!!!! Have I mentioned how much it sucks when KG goes to center court an pounds his chest, in fact it calms the crowd down and everyone loses Celtics pride.

Honsetly we are all so lucky to have a player of KG's intesity. No only does he have ridicoulous talent, but he earns his paycheck every game. Or perhaps he can be like Manny and just do his on thing.

In the history of Celticsblog has a post so ridicoulous been put up...heck I would say this trumps anything Celticsthug use to write
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Especially the way he made two guys like Ray Allen and PP that were not know for defense play sick defense down the strect last year.

Whoa, PP and Ray Ray, were carrying the scoring load for both of their respective franchises for years. And when trying to build one's reputation, as a scorer, playing pure defense, unless your name is Rodman, isn't a resume builder. In those types of teams, defense is usually an afterthought. As for the defensive changes, doesn't coach Thibodeau get much of the credit for that?

Look, there's nothing wrong with having a fine marquee player like Garnett around, however, he's also playing on a very good team but strangely enough, everyone is only in awe of him. I suspect that with let's say a Carlos Boozer around, PP and Ray Ray on the Jazz would also make them a great team if not another title contender.

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 02:35:26 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

In the history of Celticsblog has a post so ridicoulous been put up...heck I would say this trumps anything Celticsthug use to write

ouch.   :-X

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Especially the way he made two guys like Ray Allen and PP that were not know for defense play sick defense down the strect last year.

Whoa, PP and Ray Ray, were carrying the scoring load for both of their respective franchises for years. And when trying to build one's reputation, as a scorer, playing pure defense, unless your name is Rodman, isn't a resume builder. In those types of teams, defense is usually an afterthought. As for the defensive changes, doesn't coach Thibodeau get much of the credit for that?

Look, there's nothing wrong with having a fine marquee player like Garnett around, however, he's also playing on a very good team but strangely enough, everyone is only in awe of him. I suspect that with let's say a Carlos Boozer around, PP and Ray Ray on the Jazz would also make them a great team if not another title contender.

again, i think your the only one that see's this awe of Kg and dismissal of the rest of the team as anything but sidekicks, at least around the blog, and thats why your trying to bring him back onto this preceived "same level" as the other guys on the team, importance wise.

Casual fans, sure, they think the team is KG and friends. but that has alot to do with how KG's marketablity factor.

No need to make a hyper "KG isn't as good/vital to the team as everyone thinks he is!!!"  thread to point out that KG is just one player on a very good team, we are all aware.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 03:14:35 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187

Interesting thought exercise you bring up.  Swap KG and Boozer on last season's teams, and what do you think happens?

Celtics: Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Boozer, Perkins
Jazz: Deron Williams/Brewer/Kirilenko/Garnett/Okur

My opinion: The Celtics would have still been perhaps a 55-win team, but they now have an average defense which hurts them in the postseason.  Their offense isn't as fluid either, but based on individual talent they still could beat a lot of the East last year.  The Pierce/Allen/Boozer trio I think would have similar impact to last year's Howard/Lewis/Turk trio, and I think that's about where the team would have finished: 2 - 3 seed, probably second-round of the playoffs or maybe even ECF, but a notch below the Pistons and probably couldn't beat last year's Cavs either.

The Jazz would have had an absurd defense.  With KG/AK47/Brewer they have one of the most disruptive defensive trios around.  All Williams and Okur would have to do is play solid position defense, and with all the help they received from their teammates the team should easily have the best defense in the NBA.  On offense, Williams and KG would run pick-and-pop/roll to death, with Okur as the weakside shooter and AK/Brewer as slashers to cut off the ball.  I think that team ends up as the #1 seed in the West last year, and likely takes out the Lakers in the WCF.  And I'd have made them the favorites over whoever came out of the East, likely the Pistons.  And considering that the situation would likely have resulted in KG putting up bigger numbers and Boozer worse numbers, KG may well have won last year's MVP as well.  

:shrugs:  Upon further review, I guess I think a KG/Boozer swap would have basically just reversed the fortunes of the Celtics and Jazz of last season.  

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Interesting thought exercise you bring up.  Swap KG and Boozer on last season's teams, and what do you think happens?

Celtics: Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Boozer, Perkins
Jazz: Deron Williams/Brewer/Kirilenko/Garnett/Okur

My opinion: The Celtics would have still been perhaps a 55-win team, but they now have an average defense which hurts them in the postseason.  Their offense isn't as fluid either, but based on individual talent they still could beat a lot of the East last year.  The Pierce/Allen/Boozer trio I think would have similar impact to last year's Howard/Lewis/Turk trio, and I think that's about where the team would have finished: 2 - 3 seed, probably second-round of the playoffs or maybe even ECF, but a notch below the Pistons and probably couldn't beat last year's Cavs either.

The Jazz would have had an absurd defense.  With KG/AK47/Brewer they have one of the most disruptive defensive trios around.  All Williams and Okur would have to do is play solid position defense, and with all the help they received from their teammates the team should easily have the best defense in the NBA.  On offense, Williams and KG would run pick-and-pop/roll to death, with Okur as the weakside shooter and AK/Brewer as slashers to cut off the ball.  I think that team ends up as the #1 seed in the West last year, and likely takes out the Lakers in the WCF.  And I'd have made them the favorites over whoever came out of the East, likely the Pistons.  And considering that the situation would likely have resulted in KG putting up bigger numbers and Boozer worse numbers, KG may well have won last year's MVP as well.  

:shrugs:  Upon further review, I guess I think a KG/Boozer swap would have basically just reversed the fortunes of the Celtics and Jazz of last season.  

Yep.  KG for Boozer wins the Jazz the title, and the Celts lose to Cleveland, Detroit, or Orlando in the 2nd round.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
Gee whiz! I read our post and then some of the other guys' reactions. Some  of the reactions and I must say that I agree with them and not you. I cannot say everything we have achieved as a team is due to KG, but after watching his defense game after game I would like to. So, I will suffice with this: We should all kiss his royal...... picture every day.His defense is truly worthy of the NBA defensive player of the year award he won last year. The intensity he brings every game is phenomenol. David Cowens played this way. Russell as well was extremely intense. He would vomit before almost every game from sheer nervous intensity. Give me a break! Any coach of any team in any sport would love all his players to play with Kevin's passion for the game. That is the Celtics way you know; the way Red would have it.

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
A little piece of my heart broke off after reading this topic and OP.

(A very, very little post, mind you)...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.