Author Topic: I want Garnett to stop barking and start playing  (Read 7231 times)

Re: I want Garnett to stop barking and start playing
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 12:06:53 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think enough is enough. It's no longer the start of the '07 season but KG consistently acts like a madman who's lost his wife/gf to someone on the opposing team. Sorry, but this is a professional sport, acting crazy doesn't necessarily improve one's game esp after milking the adrenal glands, day after day. This is b-ball, not professional wrestling nor the ultimate fighting champion. It's time for Garnett to settle down and start acting like a quiet but passionate leader for the troops; someone who's both relaxed and energized when the time comes.

I'm going to now repeat myself from an earlier thread... instead of ripping his teammates for not being a franchise-like player, how about simply setting the example, and then quietly ushering the others to follow suit. And finally, when is KG going to be a scoring threat than a wallflower, ala Patrick "the choke artist" Ewing.

Garnett was Minnesota's franchise player; they never had enough on their roster to get out of the first round except for the temporary Spree event. Today, the Celts have two franchise players, Pierce and Garnett, however, of the two, only Pierce can create his own shot. The '06-'07 team lost many of those 58 games because Pierce was out. So the point is that w/ both Pierce and Garnett on board, the Celts should only need a few additional *glue and role* players and that should be enough to compete for a title. Instead, the Celts need a near all star PG (Rondo), a veteran all star six shooter (Ray Ray), a near star-level center (Perkins), and the best sixth man in the league (ala James Posey back), just to be contenders? I don't get it? Many elite teams do not have to have that many top players to be in the running? I mean LA's got 1 all star, 1 near all star (Gasol), a Perkules w/Big Al's hands (Bynum), and bunch of Raef LaFrenzs (all the rest of the Euro players there) but they seem to make due with their resources.

I think Garnett should try to make his own shot, regardless. If Rondo's not feeding him the Alley Opp then he should take the ball to 12 ft, and do a shake 'n bake on his defender and get off a good fadeaway shot. After doing that a few times, the opponent's teammates will help out on defense, and that's when KG can pass out to an open man. Instead, his game is that of passing, before trying to make the defenses work, and what that does is tell others that Garnett's afraid to take the shot and so they avert their attention to what Pierce is doing because everyone knows that the Truth fears nothing.

He's played this way for 14 years now, i doubt the fact that its put an unreasonable bug up your behind is going to change him.

Nor should it, play on playa  8 )
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 12:09:49 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Well, my only reply to the opening post of this thread:

[size=20]ARF! ARF! ARF! ARF! ARF! ARF! [/size]
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 12:12:06 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Since when has the formula for creating a championship team been to get two stars and a bunch of glue guys?

Actually, if you look at the Kobe/Shaq, Jordan/Pippen, or even the Hakeem/Drexler titles, then it kinda follows.

Pierce is a great player, the most underrated swingman of his era. On the other shoe, Garnett has been showered with nothing but superlatives but in the final analysis, that '08 championship team was the deepest squad ever, since the Russell or even Cowen days. Even Bird only had a brief '86 season where Sichting, Walton, and Wedman were all healthy and ready to rock at a moment's notice. That was an aberration in NBA history, only that '74 squad, with Westy and Silas, off the bench was as deep.

just stop it.

Lakers- fisher and rick fox were huge for that team

bulls- you must have missed Horace grant fellow early and that rodman fellow who came along late.

This is clearly a troll thread to try to knock Garnett a peg below pierce on the perceived "pecking order" your trying to establish, which is so ridiculous to me its not even funny.

Not because i care about the pecking order, but because the very notion of the pecking order your trying to establish here (pierce and then everyone else following he's lead and deferring) goes against everything the captain, KG, ray amd the rest of the guys stand for.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 12:13:36 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
and bunch of Raef LaFrenzs (all the rest of the Euro players there)

When did Iowa become part of Europe?  :-\

Yeah, we don't want your
stinkin' cornfields  ;D

****, TP. Someday i wish to travel abroad and visit the European utopia that is Iowa.

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 12:17:49 AM »

Offline indyceltic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
The Cubs calm down Carlos Zambrano and what happened?  He started something like 0-4 in Dusty's last year and Lou's first year.  They both gave up and let Zambrano be crazy and Zambrano finishes with an awesome year.  Some guys are just intense and must play with passion or else they turn in Patrick O'Bryant.  Unleash the Beast!

IndyCeltic

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117

bulls- you must have missed Horace grant fellow early and that rodman fellow who came along late.

Yes, I'd included Oakley/Mason in my Knicks metaphor with Pierce and Ewing. So in effect, my argument still holds, the Knicks have multiple title with PP/PE on the roster over Chicago and Houston.

very notion of the pecking order your trying to establish here

This completely misses the point. Paul Pierce makes every team, at least since '01, work like the devil to stop him from scoring. Then, at the same time, he hustles on defense when the roles reverse themselves. What KG does, however, is get opponents all riled up w/o posing, as the same kind of threat as Pierce, whenever he's got the ball. All and all, the rest of league is prepped for a Patrick Ewing type of half-effective offense with KG on board so KG's presence doesn't demand an automatic double team to keep him in check.

Think about this... Hakeem and Pierce together. Hakeem gets the ball, no double team means immediate dream shake, and an easy scoring opportunity for the big man. So what do opponents, do double up on the big guy and then the rest of the folks keep an eye on where Pierce is to prevent HO from passing out to him. Now, that leaves effectively three persons left on the floor to score.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:27:08 AM by TitleMaster »

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 12:26:19 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Yes, I'd included Oakley/Mason in my Knicks metaphor with Pierce and Ewing. So in effect, my argument still holds, the Knicks have multiple title with PP/PE on the roster over Chicago and Houston.

very notion of the pecking order your trying to establish here

This completely misses the point. Paul Pierce makes every team, at least since '01, work like the devil to stop him from scoring. Then, at the same time, he hustles on defense when the roles reverse themselves. What KG does, however, is get opponents all riled up w/o posing, as the same kind of threat as Pierce, whenever he's got the ball. All and all, the rest of league is prepped for a Patrick Ewing type of half-effective offense with KG on board so KG's presence doesn't demand an automatic double team to keep him in check.

It didn't miss the point, and the time you took to write a 2 paragraph rant about how much more credit paul deserves than KG and how much more of a better player he is proves my point, actually.

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 12:48:26 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 12:50:10 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I want Garnett to start humming
postgame movie themes every time.

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 01:27:09 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Awesome defensive game he had, especially in the 4th quarter. Bosh was completely frustrated.

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 01:34:44 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Whatever Garnett needs to do to get ready for a game is fine by me.

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 04:19:36 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
and bunch of Raef LaFrenzs (all the rest of the Euro players there)

When did Iowa become part of Europe?  :-\

Yeah, we don't want your
stinkin' cornfields  ;D

Fear RAEF!

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 06:17:03 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
  • KG can do what he likes.
  • Iowa isn't in Europe.
  • The 90's Knicks + Pierce wouldn't be the best team ever.

Moving on...

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 07:58:05 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
So you're saying to don't enjoy entertainment or the fact that KG gets up for every single game. You do know they play the WNBA on ESPN 2 right? You might want to check that out, seems more up your alley..

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
as i said in the thread created from this one:

where were the nay-sayers complaining about kg last season   ???