Author Topic: Rondo's recent lack of lateral quickness on D  (Read 7140 times)

Rondo's recent lack of lateral quickness on D
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:45:53 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I've noticed this for the last few games in moderation, but tonight against the Raptors it was blatantly obvious.  I know they are all banged up having played 40 games to this point (far more than the Cavs and Lakers), but I have never seen RR this uncapable of staying in front of ANYONE.  And Ukic?  Yikes.

Anyone have a clue what is ailing #9?

Re: Rondo's recent lack of lateral quickness on D
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:51:04 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Ukic is probably one of the best dribble penetrators in the entire league. The fact that you didn't even know him doesn't diminish his skill-set. He's amazingly quick changing directions with the ball on his hands and turning the corner. No one can stop him.

That said, Rondo should have read the scouting report and guard Ukic differently, giving him more space. Ukic can't shoot from distance - albeit his extremely hot hand today; very much like Rondo. Not guarding him so close would allow Rondo, not to stop him, but to force him to the help. As it was, he just break Rondo the way and to the side he wanted almost every time.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:48 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
Ukic is probably one of the best dribble penetrators in the entire league. The fact that you didn't even know him doesn't diminish his skill-set. He's amazingly quick changing directions with the ball on his hands and turning the corner. No one can stop him.

That said, Rondo should have read the scouting report and guard Ukic differently, giving him more space. Ukic can't shoot from distance - albeit his extremely hot hand today; very much like Rondo. Not guarding him so close would allow Rondo, not to stop him, but to force him to the help. As it was, he just break Rondo the way and to the side he wanted almost every time.
Ummm...did I say I didn't know him?  Why is he third string if he has the skills you say?  Are you a relative?  Or maybe a relative of Rondo's since we have elevated a third string point guard to make an excuse for a first stringer on a world championship team?

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
Danny, trade Rondo for Ukic.  It's the answer!  :o

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Rick Pitino would.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:00:39 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!

Rick Pitino would.
TP for that.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:02:58 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Yeah, I kinda feel like if Ukic was such a fantastic penetrator and defender he wouldn't be third string for a sub .500 team.

Because you know who else is a fantastic penetrator and defender at the PG position, and happen to be starting for a world-championship team? Rajon Rondo.

EDIT: This sounds super condescending. Its not supposed to. Sorry.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
I was wondering why a scouting report would be necessary considering these two teams just played last night.  ::)

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:12:56 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
  People act like this is something new for Rondo. He has always had this problem.
Until recently our big men were able to bail him out if he didn't make a play from behind 1st.

This is why I don't understand why people laud his defense.  Yes, he's a very good off ball defender, but he's a mediocre on ball defender and it's been killing us lately.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah, I kinda feel like if Ukic was such a fantastic penetrator and defender he wouldn't be third string for a sub .500 team.

Because you know who else is a fantastic penetrator and defender at the PG position, and happen to be starting for a world-championship team? Rajon Rondo.

Isn't Ukic a rookie? Maybe that's why he isn't so high in the rotation?

If a PG can avoid having Rondo tip the ball out from behind, he can often get around Rondo and to the hoop.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:25:09 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Isn't Ukic a rookie? Maybe that's why he isn't so high in the rotation?

If a PG can avoid having Rondo tip the ball out from behind, he can often get around Rondo and to the hoop.

Yeah, Ukic is a rookie, but he's almost 25. That's not that young, plus he has professional experience overseas. I don't think experience is such a factor for him.

I kind of agree with you about Rondo's on ball D being average, but for a different reason. He's developed that stupid habit of going for the reach around steal every play, and that habit has turned him INTO an average defender. He used to play  played traditional, man-between-the-knees on-ball D, and he was excellent. If he just got back to that, he'd be worthy of his rep. He's so quick and has such good hands, he could give any PG a hard time.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 11:34:25 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Towards the end of the game I think he lost his focus because he thought the game was wrapped up, but the raptors didnt quit and Ukic made him look foolish...also if Paul Pierce is bringing up the ball and running the offense looking to iso or kick it to a shooter, there isnt any need for rondo to be in the game at that point imo, he turns into a liability..
On a side note, i loved the play at the end of regulation to rondo, too bad it didnt work, cause they probably wont use it again
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I don't know what's going on, it Rondo's defense on - Toronto's 3rd backup pg - and with the game on the line was atrocious. Not one or two or three time, he shows the way to the basket and getting burned.....gee.  No way he makes the all defensive team, not even the 2nd or 3rd for that matter.

Rondo's defense better shape up or we are in deep trouble, especially with Perk out to cover for Rondo's/PP/RA perimeter mistakes.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147

No one can stop Roko Ukic?  Are you a relative of his or what?  ROKO UKIC?  UNSTOPPABLE?  I dont believe those words have ever been used to describe him even in 2nd grade travel team...  Ukic is backing up Will Solomon of all pepole.  He's terrible...

He's not quick at all, has a decent jumper i guess, and has average to below handles at best.  He's borderline garbage.  Rondo just happened to play horrendous defense yesterday.  Will Solomon was even taking him to the basket

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't know why everyone says Rondo is a great defensive player. And I don't care what stats some moderator is going to post. I see Rondo gamble for steals every game, lets his man blow right by him, and he gets caught up on picks and does not even fight to get over them. But probably worst of all, is that for more than half the game rondo is not even in his defensive stance.

Can we have a little dose of reality on this Forum? Rajon Rondo is quick, but he is not a great defender. I would be fooling myself if I even called him a good defender. He is an average defensive player with a terrible jump shot.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:56:04 AM by KungPoweChicken »