Author Topic: Not To Be A Downer, But I See A Disturbing Trend  (Read 2591 times)

Not To Be A Downer, But I See A Disturbing Trend
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Hey, so great win tonight, I'm glad we've righted the ship a little bit. But for some reason, I have this pit in my stomach. I don't have that satisfied feeling I usually get after a Celtics win.

And it has to do with this little pattern that is developing:

Last night: Ray Allen scores 35 points and carries us to victory with his shooting

Tonight: Paul Pierce scores 39, beasts on the boards, and basically controlls the game completely.

both times, we really just barely squeaked out a win. That trend makes me nervous. It worries me to think that things really aren't looking up that much, and that these two wins are just "mirages" if you will. I feel inundated with false hope. The defense by the second unit was not good at all tonight, and the offense seemed stagnant for large portions of the game.

Tonight and the night before, a member of our Big Three supplied a superhuman effort, and won the game for us, but only by a slim margin. Both games were against the same sub .500 team, albeit an underachieving team with some real talent. This really just worries me. Does anyone else have this same feeling? Or did you guys all see something different out there?

Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

Re: Not To Be A Downer, But I See A Disturbing Trend
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:41:10 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Rondo couldn't stay in front of Ukic.  Now that is disturbing.  :-\

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I think Toronto is a better team without JO, and Bargnani has been better as of late. So they were a much "hotter" team than us at the moment. I think they even beat Orlando last week, which shows their level of play has been higher.

Sure the last 2 games Allen and Pierce had great games. But you can definitely see positive signs of the other team members coming around. I agree with you though that the 2nd unit is still worrisome. Maybe Scal can transfer his improved play over to the minutes he gets with that unit.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
To be fair, KG also had a pretty good game this time, and Rondo was pretty good last night.  So it's not like it's just one person every night.

Also, most people when playing the Raptors don't game plan for Roko Ukic.  I don't even know if I spelled that right.  I'm willing to give Rondo the benefit of the doubt and say he might just have been caught off guard this time around.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
it was defense closing out quarters, thats the issue.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
To be fair, that's kind of the point of having 3 big time stars.  At any point in time, one of them can go off and pretty much win a game for you.  Having three of them stacks the odds in your favor.  And even better for us, Rondo can really be #4.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I think Toronto is a better team without JO, and Bargnani has been better as of late. So they were a much "hotter" team than us at the moment. I think they even beat Orlando last week, which shows their level of play has been higher.

Sure the last 2 games Allen and Pierce had great games. But you can definitely see positive signs of the other team members coming around. I agree with you though that the 2nd unit is still worrisome. Maybe Scal can transfer his improved play over to the minutes he gets with that unit.

I didn't realize the had recently beaten Orlando. That makes me feel a little better about the slim margins of victory. Toronto is a talented team, but I still think we should beat them by 10-12.

I also think your right, there have been some positive signs from the bench, and some good streches of play. Its just the lack of consistency that bothers me. Sometimes the bench will come out playing really well, and then as the amount of time they spend out on the floor together as a unit increases, the sloppier they become with the ball, and the worse the team defense gets. Seeing a lead slowly evaporate is excruciating for fans, and for the starters resting on the bench. They are getting physical rest, but no mental rest. They are seeing what they created slowly disappear, and that does a number on you mentally.

That lack of mental rest is the tree from which all small problem branches grow, and I worry that if the 2nd unit doesn't get itself in gear, we will grind ourselves into the ground with mental fatigue.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Toronto has played well of late and so has NJ in stretches.  We CANNOT let our guard down.  The rest of the month's schedule is going to be tough.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:07 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I don't think we can rely as much as we have in the past 2 games on 1 player against a good defensive team. You need a good, fluid offense, otherwise a team like Cleveland will key in on the hot scorer and slow him down. THAT'S why I'm worried-- good teams know how to stop a one trick pony.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:45 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
A lot of Celtics contributed tonight. This was the best overall game played since Christmas Day (Did not see the Sacto game - but I heard they layed down). The Wizzards are just a bad team. Jermaine O'Neal is a good player but his skills don't really mesh with an uptempo team. He should go to the Clippers and play half court basketball with Baron Davis.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:06:57 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Well, I think it's tough to sweep a season series against a team in the division, especially if you're playing them back-to-back nights...it looked ugly at times but they got the job done
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 01:12:10 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
They're not used to having to adapt to dudes being out of the lineup, their chi's been messed up ever since the injuries started to occur, we're more thin than last year so injuries are going to become glaring weaknesses until the guys that didn't play/barely played last year start to gel. It's so obvious to me, I don't see the mystique surrounding this team, it's a matter of time.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 04:15:05 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

I didn't realize the had recently beaten Orlando. That makes me feel a little better about the slim margins of victory. Toronto is a talented team, but I still think we should beat them by 10-12.

I also think your right, there have been some positive signs from the bench, and some good streches of play. Its just the lack of consistency that bothers me. Sometimes the bench will come out playing really well, and then as the amount of time they spend out on the floor together as a unit increases, the sloppier they become with the ball, and the worse the team defense gets. Seeing a lead slowly evaporate is excruciating for fans, and for the starters resting on the bench. They are getting physical rest, but no mental rest. They are seeing what they created slowly disappear, and that does a number on you mentally.

That lack of mental rest is the tree from which all small problem branches grow, and I worry that if the 2nd unit doesn't get itself in gear, we will grind ourselves into the ground with mental fatigue.

Sorry to make an example of you RONDO IS BETTER, but this is what is wrong with alot of whats being posted on the board lately.

Firstly, they should beat Toronto by 10-12???? i'm sorry but Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.?  A) They did beat them, and B) they dont play games on paper.  Also, what does that mean they should beat them by 10-12?

Secondly, we have your issues with inconsistencies from the bench...I'm guessin thats why these guys are bench players, otherwise, they could be starters.

I also query those who question the players abilities to deal with the "mental" grind of losing a game.  Its a regular season game.  These guys obviously play to win, but when they do lose i honestly doubt they are crying in the locker room, heading for a razor blade, or going home to kick the cat.

They can deal with a loss.  Alot of people here cant. Hmmmm?

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 05:46:57 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Sorry to make an example of you RONDO IS BETTER, but this is what is wrong with alot of whats being posted on the board lately.

Firstly, they should beat Toronto by 10-12???? i'm sorry but ****?  A) They did beat them, and B) they dont play games on paper.  Also, what does that mean they should beat them by 10-12?

Secondly, we have your issues with inconsistencies from the bench...I'm guessin thats why these guys are bench players, otherwise, they could be starters.

I also query those who question the players abilities to deal with the "mental" grind of losing a game.  Its a regular season game.  These guys obviously play to win, but when they do lose i honestly doubt they are crying in the locker room, heading for a razor blade, or going home to kick the cat.

They can deal with a loss.  Alot of people here cant. Hmmmm?

no teams aren't played on paper but when you have all your starters and they are missing 2 of their major players you SHOULD beat them by 10-12. this is also a team that yesterday (sunday) we should have blown out but the blew us out in the 4th quarter. It's like the goal of the team is to get enough of a lead in the first 3 quarters so that the other team can make a run in the 4th and us still win after the whole I foul you, you foul me, game.

but i 100% agree with the fact that the bench is inconsistant and thats why they arent starters so CHING! tp.