Author Topic: why do most favour walker than giddens??  (Read 4576 times)

why do most favour walker than giddens??
« on: January 12, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I read in some threads already that with paul possibly out that we should automatically play walker. Walker no doubt is an explosive player but i'm not sure if you can write off giddens either. Also since docs comments near trainning camp that walker was more ready than giddens could have changed.

They were playing pretty much with the same effectiveness in the cba, with walker having a slightly better field goal percentage but giddens with better assist to turnover ratio.

In any case with pp and tony allen out i'd love to see both of these guys get a chance to play. (give big baby for example a dnp game)

Re: why do most favour walker than giddens??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
People know more about Walker than Giddens -- at one point Walker was talked of as a lottery pick.  Also, in pre-season, Walker played better than Giddens. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Probably the thunderous jams. In pre season he wasn't afraid of anyone and tried to dunk anytime he could. This personally is my favorite type of player.
That being said Giddens has shown better all around game in have higher rebounds assists and steals in the d-league. He also is known as a better defensive player than Walker. In all honestly he should probably get the nod over Walker but due to Walkers fearless attitude he probably is more likely to impress coaches.
I'd love to see both get a try at different times and who ever shows more plays, or if they both play well they both see minutes.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:51:02 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm a Giddens guy myself, but I like both. I don't really care at the moment either way. I think Giddens has a bit of playmaking in him which makes him a good complimentary player, plus a great rebounder for his position. I also like his game around the paint.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
people like athleticism.  Giddens isnt immobile but Walker is more athletic.  like it or not, people favor that type of young player (all the people that LOVED/still love Gerald, and everyother young kid with potential).

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
A combination of hype, and the preseason.  Walker was much more hyped going into the draft (and over the last couple years in general), because he was such a highly regarded prospect just a couple years ago.  Giddens was a highly touted prospect in his own right (but nothing compared to Walker, who many thought was a lottery pick, when he left highschool, if it was still allowed), but that was much longer ago, and forgotten.

But really, I think it was because Walker performed better in the preseason, while Giddens had trouble learning the system.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Walker is more hyped, younger, and people know more about him.

I "Favor" Giddens personally.

Another big thing with Walker is that he's dripping with that "P" word.

people like athleticism.  Giddens isnt immobile but Walker is more athletic.  like it or not, people favor that type of young player (all the people that LOVED/still love Gerald, and everyother young kid with potential).

Giddens and Walker are both atheletic freaks. I don't know about Walker, but GIddens has a 42 inch vertical, I don't think you can expect much more. They are probably equally in the jumping department, while Gidden takes the cake in the speed & quickness department.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:47:28 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I think it was kind of funny how in the preseason Walker looked like an explosive force with a lot of upside and Giddens seemed to be having trouble figuring out what to do. He seemed lost out there and if he indeed has this great athleticism, which I hope he does, he sure didn't show any of it off. He looked sluggish and way overmatched every game I saw him. Walker on the other hand looked like a guy who could just play the game. Sometimes the guy who just has a knack for it shows it real quickly. On that note though, I think either couldn't play much worse after 10-12 games out there of experience than TA.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

But really, I think it was because Walker performed better in the preseason, while Giddens had trouble learning the system.

This is why.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

This is why.

The highlight reel stuff helped too
Yup

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
also, if you watch Utah games it is Walker that you see out there being a consistant player. JR is more of a off/on type guy. DONT GET ME WRONG, i think JR is going to be able to be a good player as well but its Bill Walker that has shown that he's the type of guy that goes into the game with a DO EVERYTHING type of attitude.

just checked the Utah site to see stats and they are no longer listed on the team at all. maybe they did officially get called up.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
also, if you watch Utah games it is Walker that you see out there being a consistant player. JR is more of a off/on type guy. DONT GET ME WRONG, i think JR is going to be able to be a good player as well but its Bill Walker that has shown that he's the type of guy that goes into the game with a DO EVERYTHING type of attitude.

just checked the Utah site to see stats and they are no longer listed on the team at all. maybe they did officially get called up.

Did you watch many of the games?  How was their defense?  And did Walker show much of an ability to create his offense from the perimeter, or was it mostly from the post?

I really wish I was able to watch more of them, but trying to watch the games online was so painful, since it is such terrible basketball.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 04:38:54 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I didn't watch them much, and Walker was injured or had foul trouble in some of the games I watched. I also didn't pay much attention to their defense, since the team defense down there sucks ass, but both could use better footwork.

Both were shooting the ball quite well, even in the perimeter... given, they didn't take much shots from there.

Walker seemed to me like a go to guy to score, while Giddens showed me that he had no problem in creating for other people and facillitating. Giddens also seemed to be a guy that did most of his damage in the 4th quarter, and often (from what I saw) became the go to guy during those portions of the game.

I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks so I don't know how much they've progressed (or regressed), also Giddens was battling a wrist injury at the time (and still was playing some good basketball). Also, their PG sucked ass and their bigs were a blackhole which didn't allow Walker and Giddens to play to their strengths through quite a few stretches of the games that I saw.

One thing was evident though, both of them were quite superior players to the rest of their team.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Also, their PG sucked ass and their bigs were a blackhole which didn't allow Walker and Giddens to play to their strengths through quite a few stretches of the games that I saw.

This is one thing I noticed in the little I saw.  If they have been playing with a legit PG (relatively speaking of course), like say, Mateen Cleaves, I wouldn't be surprised if they were both close to leading the league in points.

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 04:43:15 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
If JR dunked over theo ratliff I would favor him over Bill but thats not the case