Author Topic: O'Bryant, Walker Giddens must play  (Read 18457 times)

O'Bryant, Walker Giddens must play
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:07:23 AM »

Offline RmbrRuss

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
When LeBron splits the double and takes his stride to the hoop , who would you rather have there, 6'6" big baby or 7'1" O'Bryant?

Is O'Bryant sleepy?  They used to say that about Sam Perkins.

Wouldn't Walker have relished the challenge of LeBron just now instead of our having to watch Pierce (showing his age) be ripped apart all night?

If Giddens is unable to step on an NBA court now, why did the Celtics
geniuses pick him in the 1st round?  He should be able to provide a few points at the two. Now.

The Celts lost Posey and PJ Brown. Where are their  effective replacements?
That additional big man contribution is essential for this team to equal last years finishers.

And with these shortcomings, Ainge and Rivers are saying the Celts must play better?
This team is exhausted. Play the young fresh guys....get another reliable..6'10' to 7 footer.....develop your guys and you won't need the home court advantage to knock everybody else off.

Re: O'Bryant, Walker Giddens must play
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:38:22 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
No they mustn't. Especially not O'Blount.

Walker was way ahead of Giddens a while back, I'd be interested in seeing what he can bring. But to all these "Free Walker" and "Free Giddens" threads - don't expect anything as Danny already said they're only recalled to see the team doctors. So this argument is rendered meaningless.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
NO, NO, NO!!!  This is OVERreaction!!  When you're losing you don't start playing your garbage, somehow mysteriously hoping that these inferior players will bring us back to the top.

What we need is for our intensity and confidence level to rise.  Doc needs to have a good practice, and we'll probably hear soon (if we haven't already) about some "players only" meeting.

But to start playing a couple of NBDL guys and a slow-afoot plodder is just insane.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:15 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
If a seasoned all-star cannot guard LeBron, what makes you think an unproven rookie can. We have never seen Walker or Giddens defend anyone in the league so there is no barometer to judge defensive ability against. Im all for playing them a little bit to see what they could bring to the table, but saying that if we put them in we could have stopped the King, that is a little farfetched
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If a seasoned all-star cannot guard LeBron, what makes you think an unproven rookie can. We have never seen Walker or Giddens defend anyone in the league so there is no barometer to judge defensive ability against. Im all for playing them a little bit to see what they could bring to the table, but saying that if we put them in we could have stopped the King, that is a little farfetched

Absolutely agreed, especially since Lebron has about 4 inches on either Giddens or Walker.  If we're relying on rookies to be a "Lebron stopper", this team is truly screwed.

As for POB, he's averaging 7 turnovers and 12 fouls per 36 minutes, playing against scrubs in garbage time.  His coach says he's lazy, as did his former coach and GM.  I'm not sure what the fascination is, but the guy is a stiff.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Absolutely agreed, especially since Lebron has about 4 inches on either Giddens or Walker.  If we're relying on rookies to be a "Lebron stopper", this team is truly screwed.

As for POB, he's averaging 7 turnovers and 12 fouls per 36 minutes, playing against scrubs in garbage time.  His coach says he's lazy, as did his former coach and GM.  I'm not sure what the fascination is, but the guy is a stiff.

As did the people who saw him in college.

TP. Said everything I would have said. Giddens and Walker have no hope against a player like Lebron, and O'Blount has no business in the league.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

TP. Said everything I would have said. Giddens and Walker have no hope against a player like Lebron, and O'Blount has no business in the league.

Then why did Ainge sign him?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 10:39:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Ask Ainge. But last I checked Danny was human which makes him falliable. The man does make mistakes you know.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7

Because he was 7ft, long and cheap.  His potential upside was worth the minimal risk.  Problem with this team is that it has most of the cap tied up in 3 players & are clearly attempting to avoid the luxury tax. Danny is going to have to do alot of dumpster diving to find players.  Like with the Sox some of these moves work (Ortiz, Posey, Mueller) and some do not (Wade Miller, Paddy O'Blount).  

The C's gotta find a way to win with the roster they have.  I wouldn't mind seeing Giddens or Walker get some burn to see how they would play & if they could potentially be the 3 off the bench.  Beyond that they don't have players to trade.  No one wants Leon/Gabe/BBD/Scal/TA/E$ because they are not that good.  They are all 7-8 men & no one is going to trade you anything of value for them.  They only will be able to trade crap for crap.  So who ever they bring in is either going to be a veteran buyout.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Maybe it's not Danny but Doc? I doubt Danny tells Doc who he has to play, unless there is some showcasing that needs to be done.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Ask Ainge. But last I checked Danny was human which makes him falliable. The man does make mistakes you know.

I'd love to ask Danny why in the devil he did a lot of the things he did last summer. I have a boatload of questions about the Dumpster Diving Summer of 2008.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 10:58:03 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

I'd love to ask Danny why in the devil he did a lot of the things he did last summer. I have a boatload of questions about the Dumpster Diving Summer of 2008.

the only mistake that i see that he made was not resigning Pose...

the two draft picks seem to be playing well in the D-League and POB, for me at least, was a next year addition....

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Danny and Doc were pretty clear about why they signed O'Bryant. He was signed as a project. They hoped he could contribute some by March, but basically viewed him as an extra high draft pick,

This was all published in newspapers before the season started. These aren't secrets.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 11:19:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

the only mistake that i see that he made was not resigning Pose...

the two draft picks seem to be playing well in the D-League and POB, for me at least, was a next year addition....
I know that we've been over this before but you really consider the Posey non sign his only mistake?

It's a mistake to not give Posey that extra year under the logic that it is wasting a year of the GPA window and yet signing POB isn't wasting a year of the POB window? Wouldn't signing a veteran, any productive veteran you could have gotten for similar money been better. Bonzi Wells at the same money wouldn't have helped more this year in the prime of the GPA window? I can't see how signing O'Bryant as a project when you have decided to already keep two rookie draftees on the roster is a wise decision when a productive veteran would have helped this team so much more.

And after watching Tony Allen and seen his propensity for dumb play and getting reinjured, you really think that was a good move on Ainge's part. That's 2.5 million over two years for a guy that's been the most injured player on the roster this year and who's game every single Tony Lover said would return to his 16 game miracle Tony form of 2006-07. It hasn't. He's the same old Tony. You know the guy this coach all but refused to play in the playoffs because he doesn't trust his decision making, play or game.

Sorry, if Danny wasn't going to overpay for Posey from the beginning and just given him what he wanted right away, he should have immediately jettisoned the idea of a Posey return and worked to bring in a better group of veteran's and maybe overpaid for someone reallly good.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
they just need to figure out how to play teams when they are denied the paint.  it's only time to panic if Doc can not figure out how to overcome how teams are now playing them.

he figures that out and everything else will fix itself