Author Topic: POB as a PF?  (Read 7390 times)

Re: POB as a PF?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 07:01:10 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Someone claimed "He's still a project after three years"...

So was Kendrick Perkins...Look where he is now.

This kid is only 22 and he already has three years experience playing with NBA players. He has nowhere to go but up. Plus in garbage minutes this season he has played respectably. No one should really give this kid a bad rap unless Doc starts giving him minutes. He should be playing over Big Baby and Scal in the rotation of big men...Play the kid doc!!

the difference being perk always had a work ethic and was a major wieghtroom and gym rat, and POB is getting chewed out by a teammate for not having a good work ethic or desire to get better.

Little things, like desire and trying, make all the difference when your a "project player".

lack of desire takes you from "project player" to "out of the league" pretty quick.

TP crownsy. Perk's work ethic is tremendous. When he first entered the league, he was a less refined and probably worse player than POB is now. Now, he's miles ahead of him... and he has only been in the league for two more years. He also never had the benefit of college coaching, so that makes the contrast between the two all the more glaring.

EDIT: Crownsy I already gave you one less than an hour ago. Remind me later and I'll give you one.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 07:04:17 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
perk did an amazing job working on his body...

he's not a great center...barely at times a good one...but i'd use the term "serviceable" as he shows up, brings a nasty attitude, and understands his limitations and never plays outside himself.

he will probably not get much better, but we could be doing a lot worse.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 07:27:33 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I certainly don't know what the future hold for POB but right now he is not good enough to play and moving him to PF isn't going to change that.  I see strong positives and some pretty scary negatives.  I think he is worth waiting couple of years to see how his body develops.  He is only 22, a lot can change.  The payoff could be a smooth shooting big, kind of a Duncan light.  What's a couple of million dollars, chump change by NBA standards.

Amazingly GG is also only 22.  It seems as though he has been around way longer than that.  I admit that I was guilty of thinking that he was going to figure it out and be good.  I think GG still has more tools than POB, he is smooth, good reactions, the whole package.  The part he doesn't have may be the hardest to get though.

Both POB and GG are still young enough to get a few more chances though.