Author Topic: Celtics interested in JJ Redick  (Read 16118 times)

Re: Celtics interested in JJ Redick
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 01:14:04 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I thought House was supposed to be our shooter off the bench

I dont get why he has been so off recently.

Every one of his 3 pointers are contested heavily. We aren't getting any penetration in the lane to kick it out to him. I think he and Ray are having the same issue. He is also taking mostly heavily contested ones. When they are wide open they knock them down with a great deal of confidence. Then the harder  ones become easier. We need to run a play to get them a wide open three in order to increase their chances of getting hot. Especially House since he is completely a streak shooter.
You nailed it EJ, TP. If anyone's wondering why Eddie seems to be hitting all of his shots in garbage time, read EJ's post. In garbage time, he's naturally going to be left open more often.

yeah, but the question is how to get him more open threes like he got last year....

the difference i see is last year he was playing with more shooters and thus the opposing team couldn't rotate to everybody and we were getting clean looks with good ball movement.

Eddies 3PT FG% is down from 41% to 39%....
Yeah, but even though I'm a huge Eddie fan, I have to admit that of late he's hitting way too may of his threes in garbage time. The marginal percentage drop doesn't account for that. Although, in a way, the small drop in his percentage explains what I've been saying all along: Don't give up on Eddie House, he just needs better looks and he'll start hitting again (like he does in garbage time with good looks). Assuming you want Pruitt in there at the point, it comes down to whether you prefer TA or Eddie at the 2. TA is one of my least favorite Celtics ever, and Eddie is my favorite on this team, so the choice is easy for me. Hopefully, if Danny finds that shooter he's looking for (not JJ Redick!), Eddie will start to get some good looks when the game is still competitive.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Eddie House has always been a very streaky shooter throughout his NBA career. I'm very surprised by the fact that people are surprised by his production so far.

Besides, he's not really a great pure shooter, far from it. For example, getting open looks is not important at all to House. House has 4 great advantages: he can handle the ball, he's very comfortable coming off the bench, he's extremely fast releasing the ball (that causes his shooting efficiency to oscillate very little no matter the level of contentedness of the shot), when he's hot and gets on a rhythm he's really dangerous and extremely difficult to stop, even if you put your best defender on him.

But a consistent great shooter, able to knock down open 3 after open 3 (like Peja, Dell Curry or Paxson), he isn't and he never was.

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Every day I hope a little more that Marbury will get bought out, and the Celtics will sign him.

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Eddie House has always been a very streaky shooter throughout his NBA career. I'm very surprised by the fact that people are surprised by his production so far.

Besides, he's not really a great pure shooter, far from it. For example, getting open looks is not important at all to House. House has 4 great advantages: he can handle the ball, he's very comfortable coming off the bench, he's extremely fast releasing the ball (that causes his shooting efficiency to oscillate very little no matter the level of contentedness of the shot), when he's hot and gets on a rhythm he's really dangerous and extremely difficult to stop, even if you put your best defender on him.

But a consistent great shooter, able to knock down open 3 after open 3 (like Peja, Dell Curry or Paxson), he isn't and he never was.

a contested three is more difficult to hit than an open one.....streaky or not. that's my perspective anyway.

and Eddie's threes are way more contested this year...

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

a contested three is more difficult to hit than an open one.....streaky or not. that's my perspective anyway.

This is why Eddie needs to stay on the bench. He is 1 dimensional. Just like Damon Jones.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is a strange deal.  I wonder if there was more to it.  I actually think Pruitt might be a better fit for the C's than Redick.  Pruitt may not be quite as good a shooter (although he is pretty good himself), but he is a much better defender and ball handler, and Redick doesn't really bring any more size.

I just don't buy the rumor.

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

This is why Eddie needs to stay on the bench. He is 1 dimensional. Just like Damon Jones.

again, he was more than adequate last year...

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I never thought so and I don't think Danny did either. That's why he brought Cassell in and Doc almost gave Sam on Eddie's minutes. The guy is too streaky. When he is hot then put him in and ride it while it lasts. But as your every day pg, I don't think so.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I never thought so and I don't think Danny did either. That's why he brought Cassell in and Doc almost gave Sam on Eddie's minutes. The guy is too streaky. When he is hot then put him in and ride it while it lasts. But as your every day pg, I don't think so.

i agree. there were long debates last year that we needed a backup PG for the playoffs, but the way it turned out, Eddie was the better call....

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

again, he was more than adequate last year...

He's being asked too much this season. But yeah, his shooting slump won't last forever.

I'll try to find a document with House's shooting efficiency accordingly to different levels of contentedness. His efficiency on heavily contested shots is basically the same of his wide open shots.

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

League executives say Ainge has become more persistent this week in searching out deals, but as a Western Conference executive said, “He just doesn’t have any players that anyone wants.”

I think the last sentence says it all!  We simply don´t have anything on the bench that interests others and therefore, nobody wants to trade with us!  I think Ainge should have done a better homework during the summer and without being smart, I always thought that we should have done better during the summer and the early form Boston s showed was because of our first team players were exhausting themselves due to no help from the bench.  That aint going to happen throughout the regular season, and most certainly not the post-season!  What Boston needs now is a blessing in disguise like P.J. Brown last season.  We have one of the best first teams in the league and can win anybody as we showed last season, but probably one of the worst and overrated bench.  That is our problem!  We would need to part with lots of cash along with the players we are after to get any; if we can.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 05:33:18 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't understand the interest in Redick who's a bum.

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I really find this interesting because we have pruitt who has been playing more and more Giddens who just was called up and Redick who played 20 mins. last night and got a lot of looks.. Not to mention J.J. is my favorite player from college because i am a DUKIE BABY! I do think this wouldn't be that great of a trade or anything special but I would love Redick in Boston.. He really just needs to get a chance to play the kid can shoot lights out

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
jj doesnt play any defense. i pass on this idea

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
From what i've watched JJ can't shoot as well as Eddie either. Worthless pick up IMO Danny should be looking for a big man not wasting his time with a shooter we have plenty of them.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!