Author Topic: Celtics interested in JJ Redick  (Read 16131 times)

Re: Celtics interested in JJ Redick
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He just doesn’t have any players that anyone wants

How true.  What a disaster of an off-season.

Gee. I wish I'd thought of that.

;D

Can we dispense with the "Danny is a genius" stuff now? The best part of last night's game was seeing Grousbeck and Pags there to view the mess their penny-pinching hath wrough.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'd rather have Adam Morrison.  At least he has some height and can shoot over some people and shoot pretty decent under duress too. Both guys are horrible defenders.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

;D

Can we dispense with the "Danny is a genius" stuff now? The best part of last night's game was seeing Grousbeck and Pags there to view the mess their penny-pinching hath wrough.

i don't think its a purse strings issue.

for whatever reason, Danny was worried about cap flexibility in 2011. and thought Pose wouldn't get that 4th year he wanted at the full MLE.

remember, the Cs offered Pose the full MLE for 3 years....it was the 4th year that was the sticking point.

that's not a purse strings issue, that's a cap space issue....

never agreed with that concern when matched up against losing Pose for this season, but there you have it.

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ainge clearly is looking for 3 point shooting help which makes sense.

Reddick is good for that but Reddick?!?!

I'd like him to try to get someone taller who can shoot the 3 well

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 12:06:07 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I'd rather have Adam Morrison.  At least he has some height and can shoot over some people and shoot pretty decent under duress too. Both guys are horrible defenders.

yeah, we were talking about this the other day.

Morrison or Kapono would at least give us a big that can shoot on the wing and play small ball.

the price for Morrison might be higher and we might not have the chips to get him.

TOR is going to be motivated to move Kapono because they want to free up the money to pay Bosh. so they seem like the more likely to deal with us of the two...

anyway, i think we need to start playing the youngs to try and increase their value. sitting in street clothes is not going to help their value.

and we could actually use their athleticism at the very least.

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If Danny did make that offer (and I agree that he likely did not) .... dumb move by Orlando to turn it down.

I wouldn't trade either Pruitt or Giddens or straight up for JJ Redick, nevermind the both of them. That's a home run for Orlando.

I'm not sold on Redick at all, but I think he deserves some credit for his improved defense this year. He's been decent on that end of the floor ... actually his best contribution to the Magic since his shot hasn't been falling of half the season to date.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:52:37 PM by Who »

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
for whatever reason, Danny was worried about cap flexibility in 2011.

I don't believe in that for a second. It's just too ridiculous. Ainge is not a mental retard.

and thought Pose wouldn't get that 4th year he wanted at the full MLE.

Yeah, I think that was the question. He was surprised by the way the Hornets wisely cleared up space under the luxury tax threshold. And Bartelstein didn't offer him the chance of matching New Orleans offer. A miscalculation because a risky move didn't pay off, and I think it would be wiser to be more risk averse, but it wasn't a decision taken because of the dangers of a MLE contract in 2012.

-------

I don't believe for a second that Ainge made an offer for JJ Redick. That's a redickulous thought. (sorry for the bad pun).

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 12:47:50 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I don't believe in that for a second. It's just too ridiculous. Ainge is not a mental retard.

Yeah, I think that was the question. He was surprised by the way the Hornets wisely cleared up space under the luxury tax threshold. And Bartelstein didn't offer him the chance of matching New Orleans offer. A miscalculation because a risky move didn't pay off, and I think it would be wiser to be more risk averse, but it wasn't a decision taken because of the dangers of a MLE contract in 2012.

-------

I don't believe for a second that Ainge made an offer for JJ Redick. That's a redickulous thought. (sorry for the bad pun).

if he didn't have any concern about cap space in 2011, then why not give the 4th year. 

I'm pretty sure that was reported and certainly heavily discussed here.....never  agreed with it, but for some reason it was part of the decision making....

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 12:48:25 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

;D

I don't see them as penny pinchers. There are well above the salary cap and have one of the most expensive rosters in basketball.

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
You can say this all you want (it's been pretty much every one of your posts for the past month), but I think people would appreciate it if  you started coming up with some ways to solve our problems. We know that you think the bench stinks. So how do you propose we make it better in time for the playoffs?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 12:57:20 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I thought House was supposed to be our shooter off the bench

I dont get why he has been so off recently.

Every one of his 3 pointers are contested heavily. We aren't getting any penetration in the lane to kick it out to him. I think he and Ray are having the same issue. He is also taking mostly heavily contested ones. When they are wide open they knock them down with a great deal of confidence. Then the harder  ones become easier. We need to run a play to get them a wide open three in order to increase their chances of getting hot. Especially House since he is completely a streak shooter.
You nailed it EJ, TP. If anyone's wondering why Eddie seems to be hitting all of his shots in garbage time, read EJ's post. In garbage time, he's naturally going to be left open more often.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

-------

if he didn't have any concern about cap space in 2011, then why not give the 4th year. 

I'm pretty sure that was reported and certainly heavily discussed here.....never  agreed with it, but for some reason it was part of the decision making....

I explained my reasoning in the 2nd paragraph. Of course 3 years would be better than 4. Ainge went for the home-run. But the optimum is frequently the enemy of the good.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I thought House was supposed to be our shooter off the bench

I dont get why he has been so off recently.

Every one of his 3 pointers are contested heavily. We aren't getting any penetration in the lane to kick it out to him. I think he and Ray are having the same issue. He is also taking mostly heavily contested ones. When they are wide open they knock them down with a great deal of confidence. Then the harder  ones become easier. We need to run a play to get them a wide open three in order to increase their chances of getting hot. Especially House since he is completely a streak shooter.
You nailed it EJ, TP. If anyone's wondering why Eddie seems to be hitting all of his shots in garbage time, read EJ's post. In garbage time, he's naturally going to be left open more often.

yeah, but the question is how to get him more open threes like he got last year....

the difference i see is last year he was playing with more shooters and thus the opposing team couldn't rotate to everybody and we were getting clean looks with good ball movement.

Eddies 3PT FG% is down from 41% to 39%....

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

-------

I explained my reasoning in the 2nd paragraph. Of course 3 years would be better than 4. Ainge went for the home-run. But the optimum is frequently the enemy of the good.

but how is not having to pay Posey that 4th year a home run unless there is some down side to having him on the books for that 2011 offseason?

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

-------

but how is not having to pay Posey that 4th year a home run unless there is some down side to having him on the books for that 2011 offseason?

Well, cheaper contracts are generally better. Of course, Posey would never sign a new deal for 2011/2012 for as much as he's going to make with his current contract. Posey in a 3 years contract: amazing, brilliant. In a 4 years contract: very good.