Author Topic: BBD / Is Big Baby being showcased (merged)  (Read 20091 times)

Re: BBD / Is Big Baby being showcased (merged)
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2009, 04:00:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I gotta give BBD his just dues and say while he might have a shot that is uglier and less reliable than Rondo's and Tony's and seems to have inherited Antoine's ability to not get a layup over the edge of the rim, he plays good defense.

Doc stresses that he wants his second team to think defense first and second and scoring third. Baby and Pruitt seem to be the only guys coming off the bench who get that. Eddie's, Powe's and Tony's rotations before he went down have been awful. They've been late by more than a step or two on way too many occasions. The second unit has looked a lot like the 2006-07 defense that the C's put on the floor.

Baby has been the first guy off the bench for that one and only reason. He gets it defensively, his defensive footwork is excellent and his man up defense is good. If the other guys on the bench got this, BBD would probably be the third, fourth, or fifth guy off the bench like he should be.

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think Glen Davis is being showcased. He's just being played because he's the second best big man off the bench and provides very good defense.

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2009, 04:53:15 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I liked what I saw from BBD today (except the missed lawyups :-X). Seems like he's gotten himself into the same rut Leon was in, trying to create contact instead of concentrating on making the shot.  The kid can finish wide open layups, which is a lot of what he missed today.  The shots he took were good and wide open ones, mostly in the flow of the offense.  Give him another game like that and I don't think he misses so many easy inside shots next time.  His defense was really good and he did a good job on the glass.  Defense is the reason he's getting minutes over Powe, not his offense.

So overall, I was happy with the way Glen played, again, with the exception of easy layups he should have absolutely finished.  KG wasn't much better btw, if at all.

He's not any better on defense than Powe.  Plus at this level you can't miss "easy" lay ups.  1-12 is awful. 

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I liked what I saw from BBD today (except the missed lawyups :-X). Seems like he's gotten himself into the same rut Leon was in, trying to create contact instead of concentrating on making the shot.  The kid can finish wide open layups, which is a lot of what he missed today.  The shots he took were good and wide open ones, mostly in the flow of the offense.  Give him another game like that and I don't think he misses so many easy inside shots next time.  His defense was really good and he did a good job on the glass.  Defense is the reason he's getting minutes over Powe, not his offense.

So overall, I was happy with the way Glen played, again, with the exception of easy layups he should have absolutely finished.  KG wasn't much better btw, if at all.

He's not any better on defense than Powe.  Plus at this level you can't miss "easy" lay ups.  1-12 is awful. 
Unfortunately he is. Powe gets lost on rotations too much for Doc to stick with him over Baby. Plus Baby is more effective at guarding centers.

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I liked what I saw from BBD today (except the missed lawyups :-X). Seems like he's gotten himself into the same rut Leon was in, trying to create contact instead of concentrating on making the shot.  The kid can finish wide open layups, which is a lot of what he missed today.  The shots he took were good and wide open ones, mostly in the flow of the offense.  Give him another game like that and I don't think he misses so many easy inside shots next time.  His defense was really good and he did a good job on the glass.  Defense is the reason he's getting minutes over Powe, not his offense.

So overall, I was happy with the way Glen played, again, with the exception of easy layups he should have absolutely finished.  KG wasn't much better btw, if at all.

im a huge leon supporter, but baby is waaayyyyy better on team defense than powe, its not close.

leon loses guys on rotations at a frighting clip.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I have heard a lot about Powe getting missed on rotations but haven't really seen it when watching the games. I did see BBD today not be there for help a few times (like when Bosh went by KG for a Jam). I challenge someone during the next game thread to point out times when Powe was out of position versus when BBD is out of position. I have heard a lot of people mentioning Powe's poor rotations but I have not seen them much with my own eyes.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I don't think Doc is playing BBD over Powe because of defense or any other thing like that.  I think it comes down to BBD matching up better at back-up C where as Powe can only be effective against small or moderately sized PF.  Both are pretty marginal and I think we all would like to have a longer and more talented option to go to but we don't.  BBD is still too FAT.  I think he would be able to finish much more efficiently if he lost 30 pounds or more.  His inability to get his weight under control is going to jeopardize his NBA career and is limiting his trade value.

If they want to "showcase" him, maybe they need to come up with some sort of slimming uniform for him to wear and hope he makes a lay-up or two.  Then maybe someone will want him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:23:42 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Leon Powe is turning the ball over almost 50% more than he was last season in slightly increased minutes. You also get no passing from him at all. That limits his ability to be a go-to scorer for the unit. He needs to start playing with more control and make better decisions.

I like the improvement Powe showed in developing his post game .... he just needs to learn how to use those developments to a better effect. He's making too many mistakes right now (this season).

I'd like to see him revert back to being the garbage man that he was last season, and living off the scraps that guys like Paul Pierce fed him. He was more effective doing that.
I think Powe is looking to pass more - last I checked his assists are up, but the trade off is turn overs. Hopefully he can consolidate the gain in passing and then cut back the TOs. But BBD's shooting is like a turnover all the time. If Powe played most of his minutes with KG or Perk (adding some more length) I think he'd be fine. I also bet playing with Rondo would make him look amazing.

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Leon Powe is turning the ball over almost 50% more than he was last season in slightly increased minutes. You also get no passing from him at all. That limits his ability to be a go-to scorer for the unit. He needs to start playing with more control and make better decisions.

I like the improvement Powe showed in developing his post game .... he just needs to learn how to use those developments to a better effect. He's making too many mistakes right now (this season).

I'd like to see him revert back to being the garbage man that he was last season, and living off the scraps that guys like Paul Pierce fed him. He was more effective doing that.
I think Powe is looking to pass more - last I checked his assists are up, but the trade off is turn overs. Hopefully he can consolidate the gain in passing and then cut back the TOs. But BBD's shooting is like a turnover all the time. If Powe played most of his minutes with KG or Perk (adding some more length) I think he'd be fine. I also bet playing with Rondo would make him look amazing.

Oh I agree completely, Powe should be getting more minutes than Glen Davis. He's the superior player by a considerable margin.

I was just saying that I'd like Powe to revert to the style he played last year, rather than looking to create his own offense. I think he's making too many mistakes for that to be a good option for that unit. I thought he had a larger effect on games last season when he was allowing others to create his shooting attempts. I'd like Powe to get back to that, I think it'd help himself and the team.

For a reference point, Powe's assists are up, but he still turns the ball over twice as often as he gets an assist.

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
The best thing about our backup centers is both are about 6-6 or 6-7. I guess there really is no need for Danny to make any kind of move here, is there?

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2009, 08:36:54 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The best thing about our backup centers is both are about 6-6 or 6-7. I guess there really is no need for Danny to make any kind of move here, is there?
I agree,seems like we play small ball even when there intent isn't to.tp

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Glen Davis has come a long way in 2 years with the pros. Lets keep him around a while.http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-basketball/Glen-Davis-Baton-Rouge-25582;_ylt=AsUb6mGkFN6peroDCQg9WV7kKZV4

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2009, 09:23:42 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I was actually amazed BBD did not have a heart attack during the game. I have never seen him log 30 minutes before, and at that weight I wouldn't attempt it again.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2009, 12:00:22 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2009, 12:07:47 AM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SHOWCASING PLAYERS!!! I'm sorry for the caps and everything, but it's been brought up so many times on this board and it just doesn't exist, it's something that fans made up. Coaches decide playing time, coaches have nothing to do with trading, it's not Doc's job to worry about that stuff and he certainly isn't going to make playing-time decisions based off of it.