Author Topic: Muscala to C’s per Shams  (Read 7175 times)

Re: Muscala to C’s per Shams
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2023, 12:44:40 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Would love for Gallo to come back for the playoffs

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2023, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I'm laughing at some of the negative comments on Twitter about him from C's fans

Obviously Muscala is not Jokic/Embiid, but he is still a very solid backup big that can shoot and can easily give them 10-15 mins a night. Gives Horford/Timelord a little bit of rest down the stretch if he can eat up some minutes. He's also not a pure liability on defense (not elite, but not horrid).

That's one thing we did need. His shooting ability and size (nearly 7 feet) can make him a sneaky good weapon too. Kornet/Griffin were huge for us last night but it won't always be like that when both Horford and Timelord are out (or even just 1 of them).

It’s twitter the lowest common denominator of fans.
Those are the ones who only watch highlights on their phones I think.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2023, 12:49:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Between Gallo + Muscula + Pritchard + Kornet, that's around $16.7 million in expiring contracts next season.  That means we could trade them for somebody making around $21 million.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2023, 12:52:42 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
This is an absolute steal.

Since the start of 2020-21, Mike Muscala is top 75 in box plus/minus, with averages of 18.3 PTS, 7.6 REB, 3.7 3P and 1.1 BLK per 75 poss and a 39.7 3P%.

Over the same stretch, OKC's NetRtg was +3.0 with Muscala on the floor and -8.1 with him off.
Andy Bailey
https://twitter.com/AndrewDBailey/status/1623726793692942337

Yes, on-off stats love Muscala.  I’m always interested in players who have really high net ratings on bad teams.  This season the Thunder are +9.5 when he’s on the court, despite having been outscored for the season.  He seems like someone who will be able to have a positive impact in limited minutes, which is what you want for a depth add at the deadline.

I also like the team option for next season.  At $3.5 million, that’s cheap depth.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2023, 12:53:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Danny always wanted home runs but Brad likes to hit singles, doubles, and triples...

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2023, 12:57:14 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Danny always wanted home runs but Brad likes to hit singles, doubles, and triples...
Good analogy. I'm liking the GM Brad era.

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2023, 12:59:52 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Wonder if Boston makes a run at will Barton if he is bought out.

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2023, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Yeah, agreed. Always thought he would have a knack for this given his basketball genius.

You can potentially fault him for some inaction - particularly around the TPEs - but virtually all of his deals thus far have been winners.

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2023, 01:01:54 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Like the fact he’s nearly 7 feet and shoots the 3 very well

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2023, 01:01:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
G: Smart, Pritchard
G: D White, Brogdon
F: Jaylen, Hauser
F: Tatum, G Williams
C: Horford, R Williams, Muscala, Kornet, B Griffin

Lotta centers.

Good pickup.

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2023, 01:02:57 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

Yeah, agreed. Always thought he would have a knack for this given his basketball genius.

You can potentially fault him for some inaction - particularly around the TPEs - but virtually all of his deals thus far have been winners.

Brad seems better at building a team and Danny was great at accumulating assets.  They may not have always fit but he can get talent.  Brad can build a team in the image of a coach.  He can get players that fit vs one's that may have more talent but don't fit.

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2023, 01:07:00 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Between Gallo + Muscula + Pritchard + Kornet, that's around $16.7 million in expiring contracts next season.  That means we could trade them for somebody making around $21 million.

Or we can have a lot of depth, and add some more with the MLE, while being less over the tax next year than this year.

I think which direction we go depends on what happens with Grant in free agency.  Are we trying to get a $15-20 million player for the top 7-8 in the rotation, or are we trying to keep from having to fill holes at the back end of the roster.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:12:35 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2023, 01:11:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Brad seems better at building a team and Danny was great at accumulating assets.  They may not have always fit but he can get talent.  Brad can build a team in the image of a coach.  He can get players that fit vs one's that may have more talent but don't fit.

I don't know.  Danny built two separate title contenders.  It's hard to say that he didn't know how to build a team.  His only real issue was not realizing that Kyrie was a nutcase, which wasn't as apparent then as it is now.  Otherwise, a core of Timelord / Horford / Tatum / Brown / Kyrie / Smart would look pretty awesome.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2023, 01:15:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

Lotta centers.

Good pickup.

I don't understand this.  White is not a starter if Horford and RWIII are both available.  The depth chart is this:

Smart    White      Pritchard
Brown    Brogdon
Tatum    Hauser
Horford  Grant     Muscala
RWill     Kornet    Griffin

Now we just need a decent vet wing for the final available slot (Gallinari is the 15th roster spot).  Horford and Muscala are both hybrid bigs.  They can play either PF or C.  Griffin may be a little of that too, he was a PF his entire career even if more of a center now.  But I think this is more representative of what their roles will be on this team.  We are a little light in terms of having a "pure" PF.

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2023, 01:20:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

Lotta centers.

Good pickup.

I don't understand this.  White is not a starter if Horford and RWIII are both available.  The depth chart is this:

Smart    White      Pritchard
Brown    Brogdon
Tatum    Hauser
Horford  Grant     Muscala
RWill     Kornet    Griffin

Now we just need a decent vet wing for the final available slot (Gallinari is the 15th roster spot).  Horford and Muscala are both hybrid bigs.  They can play either PF or C.  Griffin may be a little of that too, he was a PF his entire career even if more of a center now.  But I think this is more representative of what their roles will be on this team.  We are a little light in terms of having a "pure" PF.

Has the new coach committed to returning to the big starting lineup? I thought that was only temporary while we had injuries (particularly to Smart).

He was slow to go back to it early on.