Author Topic: Then it was just the 76ers  (Read 13164 times)

Re: Then it was just the 76ers
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Funny you count Belinelli as a big loss for the Sixers but now you say Korver wouldn't move the needle at all.   Belinelli is a worse shooter and a worse defender than Korver.

Bellini did not allow us them to beat us neither will Korver.  So it does not matter if they add them.

Korver is old, 37 years old. Belinelli is 32.  I feel really sorry for you if you don't realize that older players sometimes decline.  The wheels could come off Korver any day as 37 is really old for a player. 

How funny is that?

Yea this guy is becoming a bit over the top not even really sure what his goal is beyond defending against any perceived slight against a rival of the Celtics on a Celtics forum... seems pretty weird

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2018, 08:48:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
celtics trounced this philly team in 5 games without Kyrie/Hayward.....and they will be rolling out essentially the same team next season.

I dont see them as a threat. They are a media hyped team. They probably had the worst off-season of most top teams.
The Cavs lost Lebron.  Houston lost Ariza and "at best" they are going to replace him with Melo.  They still haven't resigned Capella so that could go bad.  And yet the Sixers probably had the worst off-season of top teams????  The Sixers rolling out essentially the same 52-win team is not a negative when that team consists of a bunch of young players with considerable upside.   The reality distortion field on here is extremely strong regarding the Sixers.

It's more about expectations. People were talking about Philly adding two of: Lebron, Kawhi, George. To go from hoping that you add 1-2 superstars to only bringing back Redick, I can see why people think Philly had a bad off-season.

It was always assumed that Lebron would leave CLE and a Melo for Ariza swap is doable for HOU. Simply putting out the same team (minus Bellinelli and Ilyasova) is a pretty big let down for Philly fans. Adding Korver would be nice, but he would essentially just be replacing Bellinelli.

TP

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2018, 09:24:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
celtics trounced this philly team in 5 games without Kyrie/Hayward.....and they will be rolling out essentially the same team next season.

I dont see them as a threat. They are a media hyped team. They probably had the worst off-season of most top teams.
The Cavs lost Lebron.  Houston lost Ariza and "at best" they are going to replace him with Melo.  They still haven't resigned Capella so that could go bad.  And yet the Sixers probably had the worst off-season of top teams????  The Sixers rolling out essentially the same 52-win team is not a negative when that team consists of a bunch of young players with considerable upside.   The reality distortion field on here is extremely strong regarding the Sixers.

The Celtics are adding Gordon Hayward to their team this offseason and were able to bring back both Smart and Baynes went few thought we would. The Warriors got Cousins. The Raptors got Green and Leonard for Demarr. Depends whether you think Carmelo is completely cooked or not, but I do think losing Ariza will hurt them. The Thunder got Noel, Schroeder and brought George back I think it is fair to say of the top 6 teams for champs odds the 76ers had the second worst off season. Certainly not as distorted as you make it sound, but few things are.
Gordon coming back from injury should help us a lot but it doesn't count towards our offseason grade.  I thought it was quite likely that both Smart and Baynes would be back.  I never thought there was much of a market for Smart this offseason.  The question in my mind was whether Smart would end up back on the QO.  Houston made significant improvement on defense last season.  Carmelo and Harden on the court together is going to be a big step back.  Bringing back George was obviously good for OKC but don't think much about adding Noel and Schroeder. 

I'd say the Sixers offseason is definitely better than the Cavs and Houston.  GSW signing Cousins may not be meaningful at all.  Who knows when he'll come back and at what level he'll play.  In any case, he's almost certainly just going to be there this year. 

Significant Sixers offseason moves have been: 
Draft Bridges and trade him for Smith and an unprotected 2021 1st.  I'd put Bridges and Smith on the same tier of draft prospect although Bridges is more ready to contribute now.  Picking up an unprotected 1st makes this a good offseason move. 
Redick resigning on a significantly smaller 1 year deal is also a good offseason move.   
Lost Ilyasova and Belinelli and traded TLC and Anderson.  However acquired Muscalla and Chandler.  I'd say this is a wash so far.  If the Korver for Bayless trade gets done, it becomes a positive move for the Sixers and they still have the room exception to use. 

It isn't the pie in the sky offseason but that is still a pretty good offseason. 

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2018, 09:38:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Funny you count Belinelli as a big loss for the Sixers but now you say Korver wouldn't move the needle at all.   Belinelli is a worse shooter and a worse defender than Korver.

Bellini did not allow us them to beat us neither will Korver.  So it does not matter if they add them.

Korver is old, 37 years old. Belinelli is 32.  I feel really sorry for you if you don't realize that older players sometimes decline.  The wheels could come off Korver any day as 37 is really old for a player. 

How funny is that?

Yea this guy is becoming a bit over the top not even really sure what his goal is beyond defending against any perceived slight against a rival of the Celtics on a Celtics forum... seems pretty weird
You're the one that is always posting a one sided negative view of the Sixers.  Trying to knock the Redick signing as nothing much and then playing up losing Belinelli and Ilyasova as a being loss shows how out of balance your view point is. 

I don't think I've started a Sixers related thread the whole time I've been on here except maybe one or two on Embiid.  The same cannot be said for you.  If the Sixers had signed Lebron, you would have posted it was no big deal because Lebron, Simmons and Embiid are a horrible fit... 

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2018, 01:47:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

How funny is that?

You're the one that is always posting a one sided negative view of the Sixers.  Trying to knock the Redick signing as nothing much and then playing up losing Belinelli and Ilyasova as a being loss shows how out of balance your view point is. 

I don't think I've started a Sixers related thread the whole time I've been on here except maybe one or two on Embiid.  The same cannot be said for you.  If the Sixers had signed Lebron, you would have posted it was no big deal because Lebron, Simmons and Embiid are a horrible fit...

thank you for telling me what you think i would post on this board. This adds a lot to the board for everyone.

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2018, 03:10:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

You sure seem defensive of the Sixers are they are second favorite team perhaps?   I don't have one, I dislike any team not the Celtics.  My son loves the Celtics but he likes Embiid.  So I realize others here like other teams.   For a guy my age, the Sixers, Lakers will always be foes.   Also, any team LeBron plays for.

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2018, 08:07:27 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

You sure seem defensive of the Sixers are they are second favorite team perhaps?   I don't have one, I dislike any team not the Celtics.  My son loves the Celtics but he likes Embiid.  So I realize others here like other teams.   For a guy my age, the Sixers, Lakers will always be foes.   Also, any team LeBron plays for.
Hate the Lakers.  Otherwise I don't have any inherent dislike for any teams.  Besides the Celtics, I follow certain players so I follow their teams.  Embiid and Rondo are my favorite players right now.  So you could say the Sixers are my 2nd favorite team right now but it is predominantly about Embiid.  I did like and agree with The Process.  The Lakers are the bridge too far.  Can't root for them even though they have Rondo and Ingram who I also like. 

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Embiid and Rondo are my favorite players right now.  So you could say the Sixers are my 2nd favorite team right now but it is predominantly about Embiid.

Yeah, my son likes Embiid, too.  Mainly for his tweets but I can tell he likes him, too.   Nothing wrong with it.  Now I despise the Sixers from way back.

I am with you on the Lakers, I hate them and hate them even more that LeBron is there.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:59:54 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2018, 10:26:44 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Embiid and Rondo are my favorite players right now.  So you could say the Sixers are my 2nd favorite team right now but it is predominantly about Embiid.

Yeah, my son likes Embiid, too.  Mainly for his tweets but I can tell he likes him, too.   Nothing wrong with it.  Now I despise the Sixers from way back.

I am with you on the Lakers, I hate them and hate them even more that LeBron is there.
I was hooked on Embiid from his college play.  The raw talent was evident as was his aptitude for learning.  I knew his background but there wasn't much on his personality except the story of him telling people that he killed a lion at age 10 in some tribal right of passage when in fact he was a middle class kid.  I'm not into social media but I do keep track of him.   

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

this is about the playoffs. and a 52 win team that got trounced in 5 games in the playoffs actually lost difference makers while other teams got better. they missed out on the big free agents to move the needle in the east.

Right now I have them below the Celtics and Raptors

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668

Yeah, my son likes Embiid, too. 

My son loves Embiid as well. Unfortunately for him, our family's Olympic size pool is ONLY for Celtics fans who only love Celtics players. He can read Embiid's hysterical tweets from the patio while the rest of us enjoy the pool.

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
If they add Korver we will still beat them.

I think so, too, but having Redick and Korver adding spacing would be deadly. The 76ers should make this happen.

Adding Korver would take this from a poor off-season to a pretty good one.

I think you're overrating the impact that Korver would have, but time may give us the answer to that.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
GSW signing Cousins may not be meaningful at all. 

Just a note:  the above is true about every single instance of player movement.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
GSW signing Cousins may not be meaningful at all. 

Just a note:  the above is true about every single instance of player movement.

That's probably true but with the injury Cousins suffered and the way some people are talking his signing like it's destroyed the NBA, this particular instance is worthy of singling out and mentioning.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah, my son likes Embiid, too. 

My son loves Embiid as well. Unfortunately for him, our family's Olympic size pool is ONLY for Celtics fans who only love Celtics players. He can read Embiid's hysterical tweets from the patio while the rest of us enjoy the pool.

I like Embid as a player. His personality off the court leaves a lot to be desired. When he was trying to trash talk Baynes in the ECF for getting dunked on after the Celtics had sent him home I realized he just didn't get it. We will never find out but you have to wonder if all the trash talk, social media stuff and Simmons dating a Jenner was part of the reason none of the vet stars wanted to go there.