Author Topic: Patriots 2019 Season  (Read 86227 times)

Re: Patriots 2019 Season
« Reply #330 on: December 08, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Gave my Ravens a game of cover on the top seed. If Pats aren't careful they won't have a bye. Heck the Bill's are still very much in the division hunt as well.

Yes that Bills game is going to be crucially important for both teams.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2019, 08:19:06 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Obviously AB's not going to be walking through that door anytime soon, or ever. Thoughts on Sanu vs Gordon? Doesn't seem like Sanu's been an upgrade at all. He had what, 1 reception for 13 yards today and I'm pretty sure he didn't play that many snaps. Why would we get rid of Gordon who at least has been in the system for a year and a half and seems to be healthy in Seattle? Makes zero sense.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Is there any doubt that Antonio Brown would have made a difference today?

Big difference. We wouldn't have to see the abomination of Dorsett or Meyers catching balls. But this OL is trash and that's not going to get fixed anytime soon.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #333 on: December 08, 2019, 08:54:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Obviously AB's not going to be walking through that door anytime soon, or ever. Thoughts on Sanu vs Gordon? Doesn't seem like Sanu's been an upgrade at all. He had what, 1 reception for 13 yards today and I'm pretty sure he didn't play that many snaps. Why would we get rid of Gordon who at least has been in the system for a year and a half and seems to be healthy in Seattle? Makes zero sense.
The personnel moves this year, especially in terms of the WR group, have been flat out awful. Bordering on braindead. I know Flash wasn't the best, but he had 4 games of 45+ yards. I like Sanu, but I don't see the upgrade.

Losing AB and DT were both bad calls, especially when we've kept guys like LaCosse, Izzo and Burkhead, who provide nothing to the offence. Just terrible.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2019, 01:14:05 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The personnel moves this year, especially in terms of the WR group, have been flat out awful. Bordering on braindead. I know Flash wasn't the best, but he had 4 games of 45+ yards. I like Sanu, but I don't see the upgrade.

Losing AB and DT were both bad calls, especially when we've kept guys like LaCosse, Izzo and Burkhead, who provide nothing to the offence. Just terrible.

Really great decisions to ax Demaryius Thomas and Josh Gordon and trade for Sanu. =P

This Pats team is cooked. Basically, if the defense surrenders, oh, 17-20 points, it's probably gonna be a loss. The offense is that bad.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Really great decisions to ax Demaryius Thomas and Josh Gordon and trade for Sanu. =P

This Pats team is cooked. Basically, if the defense surrenders, oh, 17-20 points, it's probably gonna be a loss. The offense is that bad.

I alway laugh at myself when I do this, because 6 superbowls, but:

- Using a 1st round pick on a 2 down running back in a pass-first increasingly reliant on versatility league
- Using 1st and 2nd round draft capital on Nkeal Henry and Sanu, while letting Thomas and Gordon go
- Trying for field goals on 4th and short with a kicker who was unemployed to start the year and had appendectomy surgery not that long ago against one of the best offenses in the league knowing you're going to need points on the board to win.

It's pretty bleak, relatively speaking. Does not bode well for a deep playoff run.

« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So is this the "The Patriots are done, cooked. Brady is too old. This is the end of the dynasty. The Pats have no shot at winning the Super Bowl" time of year where so many fans make definitive statements about the ultimate demise of the team only to look pretty foolish later?

« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So is this the "The Patriots are done, cooked. Brady is too old. This is the end of the dynasty. The Pats have no shot at winning the Super Bowl" time of year where so many fans make definitive statements about the ultimate demise of the team only to look pretty foolish later?
Maybe. They certainly still can win the title because their defense is just that good.

But this year's Patriots look like the Bears team of last year, contenders due to an excellent defense but the offense is flawed enough that they aren't the favorites.

« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2019, 10:13:46 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Don't know if this has been mentioned in previous 22 pages, but Gronk hurt them big time.....while he was jerking them around about retiring, several legit free agent tight ends
signed elsewhere

« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2019, 11:30:21 AM »

• Satch Sanders

Maybe. But I'd be glad to look foolish later, as it would mean the Pats got their act together. The defense is very good, but the offense is having to scratch and claw just to get 15-20 points. So if the defense has an off-quarter (much less an off-game), the Pats are probably going to lose—and we saw this yesterday when the Pats gave up two touchdowns in the span of 3 and a half minutes in the second quarter, which was a huge momentum shift.

Of course, the bad calls by officials are another story, and yesterday's game should have, at minimum, gone to OT, but the Pats did themselves no favors in a terrible first half.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2019, 11:40:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
When have they been 2-3 against teams with a winning record though and the last 3 were all losses when they looked awful in those games?  I mean the Texans were down 38-3 to the Broncos after beating the Patriots the week before.  The Patriots have scored 20 or less points in 4 of the last 5 games (and they won 2 of those).  This isn't a regular Patriots team.  This one just isn't very good on offense.  Yes, they still have Brady, but he looks very old.  He has now had 8 straight games without a passer rating above 100.  In 2001 his last 5 regular season games and his 3 playoff games, he did that.  That has been the only other time in his career he has had a stretch of games that long under 100.  He has the 2nd lowest completion % in his career.  And this is a part of a trend.  Brady's numbers have been getting worse since 2016.  They have dropped significantly this year, but he has been trending in this direction. 

The OL isn't very good.  The RB's are bleh.  They have Edelman and who at WR?  Do they even have a TE on the roster?

Defense is solid, but I don't think it is an all time type defense that can overcome what really is a poor offense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

- Using a 1st round pick on a 2 down running back in a pass-first increasingly reliant on versatility league
- Using 1st and 2nd round draft capital on Nkeal Henry and Sanu, while letting Thomas and Gordon go
- Trying for field goals on 4th and short with a kicker who was unemployed to start the year and had appendectomy surgery not that long ago against one of the best offenses in the league knowing you're going to need points on the board to win.

It's pretty bleak, relatively speaking. Does not bode well for a deep playoff run.

Yeah man we’re really missing the massive 81 yards Gordon has put up in Seattle

« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2019, 12:01:06 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Yeah man we’re really missing the massive 81 yards Gordon has put up in Seattle

I think his point is that Gordon is still better than every current Pats receiver not named Edelman, and could be helping this team.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

The thing is eventually these people will be right. Assuming Brady doesn't retire or eave after this year and continues to play there will eventually be a year when he/and or the team isnt good enough. I agree that betting against them is foolish but Brady is 42 years old and has one reliable weapon on offense. I don't think its crazy to believe they may not have it this year.

« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2019, 01:03:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
When have they been 2-3 against teams with a winning record though and the last 3 were all losses when they looked awful in those games?  I mean the Texans were down 38-3 to the Broncos after beating the Patriots the week before.  The Patriots have scored 20 or less points in 4 of the last 5 games (and they won 2 of those).  This isn't a regular Patriots team.  This one just isn't very good on offense.  Yes, they still have Brady, but he looks very old.  He has now had 8 straight games without a passer rating above 100.  In 2001 his last 5 regular season games and his 3 playoff games, he did that.  That has been the only other time in his career he has had a stretch of games that long under 100.  He has the 2nd lowest completion % in his career.  And this is a part of a trend.  Brady's numbers have been getting worse since 2016.  They have dropped significantly this year, but he has been trending in this direction. 

The OL isn't very good.  The RB's are bleh.  They have Edelman and who at WR?  Do they even have a TE on the roster?

Defense is solid, but I don't think it is an all time type defense that can overcome what really is a poor offense.

A lot of folks (including me, and probably you) said the same thing about the Pats last season.  They can't win on the road, Brady's numbers have declined, there defense isn't that good, blah blah blah.

We still have the GOAT Coach and GOAT QB, and GOAT offensive coordinator.  Let's see where the rest of the season takes us.