Author Topic: Don't give up on Carsen Edwards  (Read 3737 times)

Re: Don't give up on Carsen Edwards
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I already did. But let's hope he does well.... somewhere else.
Given up on Edwards but still holding out hope for James Young?

Does a owl hoot? Forgot to put an /s, lol I was being sarcastic. I'm not giving up hope on Edwards yet. And I'm going to disagree with that Young comment lol.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 02:54:01 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 04:36:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Carsen Edwards just needs a few more shots to fall and he will be a useful weapon off the bench on a super cheap contract.

i agree with this ^. ...i still put more faith in his shot than i did AB in his first few years .  So ....its not like he can't shoot .....he is more in a confidence slump and he needs court minutes to untangle hs brain

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 05:20:37 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Carsen Edwards just needs a few more shots to fall and he will be a useful weapon off the bench on a super cheap contract.

i agree with this ^. ...i still put more faith in his shot than i did AB in his first few years .  So ....its not like he can't shoot .....he is more in a confidence slump and he needs court minutes to untangle hs brain

Atleast AB could play defense until his jumper started to fall. I really don't see how this kid stick in the NBA even if his jumper starts falling he doesn't bring anything else to the table. I'm sure he's a great kid and hard worker I'm just not seeing what Danny and Brad saw. Hope I'm wrong.
ok fine

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 06:37:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Atleast AB could play defense until his jumper started to fall. I really don't see how this kid stick in the NBA even if his jumper starts falling he doesn't bring anything else to the table. I'm sure he's a great kid and hard worker I'm just not seeing what Danny and Brad saw. Hope I'm wrong.
Firstly, I wouldn’t say Carsen Edwards is bad at defence. Secondly, patience is key.

We all saw how JJ Redick’s career has gone. He was the man at college, much like Carsen. He struggled to adjust initially, but he was a lotto pick to a team with the ability to give him more consistent minutes. He’s also a worse defender than Carsen. I’m not saying Edwards will turn into a 16PPG sniper like JJ, but I think it’s a possibility. Way too early to write him off. 
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 12:52:40 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I haven't given up on Edwards, but here are some things to keep in mind.

1) He measured out to 5'10.75 w/o shoes. The list for good to above average players at that height is extremely small: FVV, Isaiah Thomas, (I'm pretty sure he's actually 5'8 or 5'9?) and DJ Augustin. As the league trends toward taller multi-faceted players, size concerns on offense/defense will still be exacerbated at the next level.

2) In college, he was practically the only offense. Plenty of double coverages + being clogged in the lane due a lack of proper spacing led to inefficient numbers. Still, while he didn't exactly end with Purdue with the success that he wanted, Edwards was basically the only one that could score on that team.

3) He's extremely athletic, and he moves his feet well laterally. My hope is that he can remain a consistent sparkplug off the bench. I remember people used to proclaim that he could be like a bigger IT, but that's just not doing justice to Isaiah Thomas. Let's be cognizant of the fact Isaiah Thomas was special here. No one just goes out and drops 53 points after his sister dies in a playoff game on 68.5% TS. So while I like the lofty expectations, if you're empathetic to the fact Edwards has a similar ceiling to IT (2x Allstar - All NBA Second Team is nothing to sneeze at either, along with being top 10 MVP voting) frankly I'd disagree with you on that.

4) He has a shooters first mentality, and I like his handle. My main issue with these type of players is Edwards defense is solid, I personally wouldn't trust him on that end in the playoffs, especially since we use a switch heavy offense. Very limited passing ability, tunnel vision at times, and his body language is up and down when he's not hitting his shots. In order for him to elevate and stay in the league, his focus should be on shooting, tightening his handle, and working on his play making.

5) People also need to stop being so harsh on Edwards. I admit my expectations were slightly loftier than usual, I thought his NBA body would enable him to absorb contact along with his 6'7 wingspan and make the same difficult shots he did in college more frequently, but he's still a rookie and guards develop the slowest. If Semi Ojeleye can become a serviceable NBA player, then so can Edwards.

6) Finally, my point is that while my original post in regards to Edwards was in jest, (it's pretty hard to type on the mobile, and I sort of rushed it,) I just don't see him having that much of an opportunity here if he can't get it together. Unlike Semi, who provided excellent defense on players like Giannis, and when locked in can hit 3's now, (hopefully that trends continues,) Edwards will need to be able to trust his teammates more/improve his shooting. His height will definitely limit his ability to finish, and the truth of the matter is he's a second round pick. If he pans out, great. And if he doesn't? Oh well, no one's losing sleep over it. The NBA has a plethora of guards, and you can easily replace what Edwards provides, not to mention we have a boatload of picks to use.

Let's give Edwards some time, and see what happens. I like to root for the underdog, and Edwards has a scrappy mentality.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different