Author Topic: ESPN Givony's 2019 Mock Draft  (Read 5939 times)

Re: ESPN Givony's 2019 Mock Draft
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I can’t imagine Memphis not conveying with Gasol and Conley back. I was worried that it would be too LOW at like 18th.

I doubt that. This would mean that they would have to make the playoffs and have a better than record than at least 1 of the teams that made the playoffs this year (SA, Minnesota, OKC, etc.) and Denver (who nearly made it). That's a tough proposition for a team that looks destined to lose Evans and Green. As for Conley, I really question if we ever see prime Conley again. He'll be 31 at the start of the year and achilles injuries are a huge deal, especially for a 6'1" player who relied a lot on his quickness and first step.

Ok 16th. Whatever. Point is they’re going to be better than 22nd best (Nets).

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 06:26:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The best case scenario for the Memphis pick is that Memphis falls on its face again early next season, right? And then they decide they should just keep the tank rolling and don't hit on anyone that can spring them back into respectability by 2021. Then the Celtics, the year after hoisting their 2nd straight championship trophy, get to add a top pick to a team in its prime.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I can’t imagine Memphis not conveying with Gasol and Conley back. I was worried that it would be too LOW at like 18th.

I doubt that. This would mean that they would have to make the playoffs and have a better than record than at least 1 of the teams that made the playoffs this year (SA, Minnesota, OKC, etc.) and Denver (who nearly made it). That's a tough proposition for a team that looks destined to lose Evans and Green. As for Conley, I really question if we ever see prime Conley again. He'll be 31 at the start of the year and achilles injuries are a huge deal, especially for a 6'1" player who relied a lot on his quickness and first step.

Gasol played in 73 games and they still were awful. So this would mean that Conley would be the main difference in a 25 game swing, as the Grizzlies finished with 22 wins, while Portland, OKC, Utah, NO, SA, Minnesota, and Den had 46-48 wins.

At the very best, and assuming they're healthy, I see them at a Lakers 17-18 level (35 wins - 10th pick). This also doesn't account for the likely Evans loss. That will have to be addressed too.

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Gasol played in 73 games and they still were awful. So this would mean that Conley would be the main difference in a 25 game swing, as the Grizzlies finished with 22 wins, while Portland, OKC, Utah, NO, SA, Minnesota, and Den had 46-48 wins.

At the very best, and assuming they're healthy, I see them at a Lakers 17-18 level (35 wins - 10th pick). This also doesn't account for the likely Evans loss. That will have to be addressed too.

What if the Grizzlies do well in the lottery and end up with a Doncic caliber player? Integrating that with Conleys return has the potential to get into that high 30s tier of wins.
#JKJB

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 07:19:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Memphis was also blatantly tanking, I'm not sure they are as bad as their record suggested this season.

I could see with a healthy Conley, a fully engaged Gasol, and some other minor additions they could be right back to the 40-45 win vicinity and a fringe playoff team.

Depending on a healthy Conley at this point seems like long odds though, so there's that.  And Gasol is starting to get some mileage on him as well, and could see a drop off at any time.  It's tough to predict what will happen there.

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This video says the Ainge is taking him.

https://youtu.be/qCHZCHTTiaU

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
1) @Eddie, thank you for posting this. TP. I agree with you, that last paragraph could make things interesting.

2) If the BPA is a small forward, then Danny will draft a small forward.

3) I don't care if Conley is back, I think that the Memphis pick (protected 1-8) stays in Memphis. They look awful.

4) If picks do convey next year, it could be very interesting. Nothing I've read before today indicates that next year will be a deep draft, but if a bunch of HS players are able to declare, maybe we get lucky. We have Sacramento's pick (highly likely), our pick, but could also have Memphis (as high as #9) and the Clippers' (as high as #15). Sadly, this isn't the NFL, where we could trade all of those picks for a top-3, but it does give us a number of shots.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 09:36:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bol Bol falling to 10 is really interesting. If that Memphis pick conveys and we can snag Bol that'd be awesome
our bench is going to be loaded if that pick conveys, if sactown pick is ours and high, and if we also hit a rotation backup with our own 2018 or 2019 pick
I am incredibly excited. This team will be good for years (hopefully)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)