Author Topic: NCAA Basketball 2009 - 2010  (Read 54901 times)

Re: NCAA Basketball 2009 - 2010
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 09:59:04 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

Thats is the Tar Heels get into the tourny... HAHA!

Laugh all you want, I'm pretty sure it's the Tar Heels who have 2 NCAA championships in the past 4 years, not Duke.  Also, I believe it's UNC that has 3 all americans coming in next year, including Harrison Barnes the #1 prospect in the country, not Duke.  I'd rather take 2 championships in 4 years with the 5th year being a down year and then getting a STACKED class in to build with Zeller, Ed Davis, Graves, Henson and the Wear brothers, then be competitive with no chance to win it all, LIKE DUKE!
do it

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Thats is the Tar Heels get into the tourny... HAHA!

Laugh all you want, I'm pretty sure it's the Tar Heels who have 2 NCAA championships in the past 4 years, not Duke.  Also, I believe it's UNC that has 3 all americans coming in next year, including Harrison Barnes the #1 prospect in the country, not Duke.  I'd rather take 2 championships in 4 years with the 5th year being a down year and then getting a STACKED class in to build with Zeller, Ed Davis, Graves, Henson and the Wear brothers, then be competitive with no chance to win it all, LIKE DUKE!

Hey now, the Dukies are just excited that they might actually get to win on Senior Night this year.  ;)

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
There is always going to be things you can say and Yes UNC is a good ball club and they will be. But this year they suck and its ok. The past is the past and I will keep it there this season you guys stink and this year is what I care about.

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Evan Turner is the best player in college basketball right now and should be the #1 pick in the draft.  Unfortunately John Walls hype has surpassed his ability at this point.  Also, my sleeper team, though I'm not sure they can be considered a sleeper anymore is New Mexico.  This team is legit, Darington Hobson is a legit star as well and could be a good NBA prospect.  Go Steve Alford!

Wall has better NBA talent ... and there have been so many games where he has reacted in that "coffee is for closers" way that only a few guys can.  And Turner does have the medicals to deal with - that said, he will make a team very happy in a Brandon Roy kind of way. 

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not sure who I like best among the Kansas/Syracuse/Kentucky triumverante.  I feel pretty good about the national champion being one of those three but just when I think one team separates themself, they take a stepback and someone else jumps in. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Evan Turner is the best player in college basketball right now and should be the #1 pick in the draft.  Unfortunately John Walls hype has surpassed his ability at this point.  Also, my sleeper team, though I'm not sure they can be considered a sleeper anymore is New Mexico.  This team is legit, Darington Hobson is a legit star as well and could be a good NBA prospect.  Go Steve Alford!

Wall has better NBA talent ... and there have been so many games where he has reacted in that "coffee is for closers" way that only a few guys can.  And Turner does have the medicals to deal with - that said, he will make a team very happy in a Brandon Roy kind of way. 

I just wikipedia'd "coffee for closers" thanks for learning me something today. TP.

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:06 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Not sure who I like best among the Kansas/Syracuse/Kentucky triumverante.  I feel pretty good about the national champion being one of those three but just when I think one team separates themself, they take a stepback and someone else jumps in. 

Kansas is the most complete.  They have the guard (Collins), the wing (Henry) and the post (Aldrich) and the experience (Natl title in 2008, Sweet 16 a year ago)

Kentucky has all that upside, but they can be zoned and have issues shooting the rock.

Syracuse plays with such unselfishness and their zone helps them run ... they lack the star power of the other two teams ... Wesley Johnson will be a terrific fix-it man sort at the next level, but not a great primary offense guy.  But when the money is on the table, who can create for them? 

I think it's Kansas-Cuse-Kentucky in that order ...

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'm honestly thinking it's a rock-paper-scissors scenario:

- Syracuse probably beats Kentucky (the 2-3 stymies Wall and the running game)
- Kentucky probably beats Kansas (Kansas' attacking style plays right into Kentucky's preferred game and their superior athleticism)
- Kansas probably beats Syracuse (poise, ball movement and 3-pt shooting allow them to attack the zone effectively). 

And of course there are lots of lesser teams who could get hot and knock off any one of em.  A lot will depend on who faces who in the tourney.

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Kansas is the most complete.  They have the guard (Collins), the wing (Henry) and the post (Aldrich) and the experience (Natl title in 2008, Sweet 16 a year ago)

Kentucky has all that upside, but they can be zoned and have issues shooting the rock.

Syracuse plays with such unselfishness and their zone helps them run ... they lack the star power of the other two teams ... Wesley Johnson will be a terrific fix-it man sort at the next level, but not a great primary offense guy.  But when the money is on the table, who can create for them? 

I have to agree that if I was cornered about it right now and had to pick one, my gut tells me Kansas.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
There is always going to be things you can say and Yes UNC is a good ball club and they will be. But this year they suck and its ok. The past is the past and I will keep it there this season you guys stink and this year is what I care about.

I hate this excuse.  The only people who use this as an excuse are the people who cheer for teams who have cannot win.  When people talk about the Celtics on this board it is okay to discuss the 17 banners, but that is in the past is it not? If that's the case then all the people who have played for the Celtics have not mattered.   
do it

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I have to agree that if I was cornered about it right now and had to pick one, my gut tells me Kansas.

If Routins is on nobody is beating Cuse. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

I'd have to agree with this arguement; Kansas just has so much talent and so much leadership (who would of thought leadership would be one of their strong suits after all the crap they were involved in before the season).

A few other teams i like are Florida (i have a thing for chandler parsons haha), Tennessee (they aren't scared of anyone), and as previously mentioned: Maryland (grevis vazques loves the big game).

I also think a lot of people are going to write off purdue because of the loss of hummel.  don't get me wrong robbie hummel is one of the best leaders in the country but jajuan johnson and e'twaun moore are still capable of carrying a team veeerrry far.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 07:04:14 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Teams to keep an eye on for surprise tourney runs

Maryland - Vasquez is a bit of a "head case/doesn't have it all up there" type player but at the college level he can dominate the game in every way. Then with Landon Milbourne and Jordan Williams, the Terps have a very nice inside out big man combo that can rebound and block shots. Add Sean Moseley, an absolute gunner from the outside and Maryland needs to be paid attention to. They have a big game tonight with Duke and a win could mean a decent seeding

Baylor - this team is a bit Jekyl/Hyde at times but when they have it together they have the ability to just run over some people in the tourney. In LaceDarius Dunn and Tweety Carter they have the prerequisite very good backcourt duo which is necessary in the tourney. Then future NBA big man Ekpe Udoh, does all the dirty work with rebounding, blocking shots and inside scoring. They also have a bunch of very good defensively, role players that compliment their three stars very well

Vanderbilt - scanning over their stat sheet on a nightly basis you won't see anyone that sticks out. But somehow they can get it done. They've had big wins over Florida(twice), Tennessee, Mississippi State, and Mississippi and took  Kentucky to the limit twice before faltering late. This is truly a T-E-A-M but look for big things in the tourney from A.J. Oglivy and Jeffery Taylor the teams C and SF, respectively and look for Vandy to be led in the backcourt by Jermaine Beal and very impressive unheralded freshman John Jenkins

Yeah the big teams in the 1 and 2 seeds like Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Syracuse, Duke and Ohio State should blast through the field but watch for the teams I highlighted to surprise and maybe make Elite 8 appearances
In the "patting myself on my own back" department

Maryland 79 Duke 72

Vasquez 20 points, 5 assist 4 rebounds
Williams 15 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks

Watch out for this team people!!!!
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Duke is blasting my Tar Heels ... 31 to 11 with 8 minutes left in the first period ... wow. I knew they would struggle this year, but not like this. Tres tragique. Sehr schlecht. :'(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:39:49 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
And How About Those Old Dominion Monarchs!!

ODU beat VCU and Larry Sanders Sunday night and William and Mary last night to win the CAA and the Automatic Bid to the Big Dance!

There was a thread a few days ago about our 2010 potential draft pick and there was some mention from posters and (myself included) about Larry Sanders. Sanders is Good, but Gerald Lee outplayed the man Sunday Night and picked up Tourney MVP.

Lee is 6'10 and 250 pounds..not the best rebounder, but in fairness to him the entire ODU team is known for crashing the boards, so I can't knock him too much for that. The guy has a pretty good outside shot and is very craft inside. He's played Center, PF and even some SF for ODU this season.

I like him and wouldn't mind seeing him slip into Boston's grasp in the draft.