Author Topic: REFS!  (Read 16635 times)

Re: REFS!
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2023, 03:40:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
T up Tatum for hanging on safety on the rim. It's a disgrace!

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2023, 04:10:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Different sport, but just now in the Alabama-Auburn game, they missed a SUPER OBVIOUS facemask call on the Alabama player on a kickoff return for Auburn. Super easy to call, the entire stadium and commentators and coaches all saw it. They threw a flag. And instead they called a "block in the back" and completely ignored the blatant facemask. Even Gene Steratore was like "yeah idk how they missed that". Again, the guy grabbed his facemask and basically dangerously twisted his entire head/neck. No call.

Ridiculous.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2023, 03:54:26 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Jaylen said the ref that threw him out of the game for arguing a call was "overemotional".

Brown picked up a technical foul for arguing a call in the fourth quarter against the New York Knicks in Boston, then was ejected after picking up a second T when he went to the bench shortly afterward.

The Celtics won 133-123, but that did little to ease the emotions of Brown and Boston coach Joe Mazzulla after the game.

"To be honest, I'm not sure," Brown told reporters when asked why he was tossed. "But I wish I would've got my money's worth. I always thought my first career ejection would be something a little more exciting. Maybe a tussle or something, guys get folded up, go to the ground, not some overemotional ref who had a bad day. What I'm most upset about is I should've got my f---ing money's worth."

Brown picked up the initial technical when he appeared to complain after being whistled for a foul while defending Knicks guard Immanuel Quickley on the perimeter. Mazzulla said one official told him that Brown said "don't call that weak-ass s---," leading to the tech -- which perplexed the Celtics coach.

"I've been on the sidelines in the NBA for five years, and I've seen players act and say things that are way more disrespectful than that," Mazzulla said.

Crew chief Mark Lindsay told a pool reporter that the first technical was for "use of profanity toward a game official." And the second was for "a wave-off directed at the official, which under the respect of the game guidelines is considered an overt gesture and an unsportsmanlike act."

Brown questioned that, too.

"You could tell, his emotions were involved, XYZ, wanted to make it a back-and-forth," Brown said. "I'm explaining to the ref, and he calls the second tech from the other side of the court, which is a clear example of somebody exercising their power to try to get somebody thrown out the game. I thought it was bulls---."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39073030/celtics-jaylen-brown-sounds-first-career-ejection
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2023, 08:01:46 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Jaylen said the ref that threw him out of the game for arguing a call was "overemotional".

Brown picked up a technical foul for arguing a call in the fourth quarter against the New York Knicks in Boston, then was ejected after picking up a second T when he went to the bench shortly afterward.

The Celtics won 133-123, but that did little to ease the emotions of Brown and Boston coach Joe Mazzulla after the game.

"To be honest, I'm not sure," Brown told reporters when asked why he was tossed. "But I wish I would've got my money's worth. I always thought my first career ejection would be something a little more exciting. Maybe a tussle or something, guys get folded up, go to the ground, not some overemotional ref who had a bad day. What I'm most upset about is I should've got my f---ing money's worth."

Brown picked up the initial technical when he appeared to complain after being whistled for a foul while defending Knicks guard Immanuel Quickley on the perimeter. Mazzulla said one official told him that Brown said "don't call that weak-ass s---," leading to the tech -- which perplexed the Celtics coach.

"I've been on the sidelines in the NBA for five years, and I've seen players act and say things that are way more disrespectful than that," Mazzulla said.

Crew chief Mark Lindsay told a pool reporter that the first technical was for "use of profanity toward a game official." And the second was for "a wave-off directed at the official, which under the respect of the game guidelines is considered an overt gesture and an unsportsmanlike act."

Brown questioned that, too.

"You could tell, his emotions were involved, XYZ, wanted to make it a back-and-forth," Brown said. "I'm explaining to the ref, and he calls the second tech from the other side of the court, which is a clear example of somebody exercising their power to try to get somebody thrown out the game. I thought it was bulls---."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39073030/celtics-jaylen-brown-sounds-first-career-ejection

The refs were weirdly bad last night. So many nonsense calls. 

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2023, 08:06:46 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Play the game, don't complain to the refs, take your lumps, and overcome adversity. Too much whining from coaches, players, and fans.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 09:02:15 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2023, 09:19:29 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Play the game, don't complain to the refs, take your lumps, and overcome adversity. Too much whining from coaches, players, and fans.

And refs get a free pass.

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2023, 10:14:00 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

And as another thread mentions, with gambling being a bigger thing in sports, how long will it take to influence a referees decision, especially if they get a free pass.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2023, 12:02:04 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

No. Players maybe, but fans are going to complain about BS and hypocrisy, that’s life.

And I’ve seen plenty of playoff press conferences from Pop, Nurse, Doc, you know guys who have actually won a championship, laying into the refs after a poorly reffed playoff game, and then seen those teams get better calls in the next playoff game.

Joe and Brad never complain, and it might not change anything, but what isn’t changing is the crap calls this team gets with no one from the org stepping up, so the players are the only ones left. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2023, 02:30:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

No. Players maybe, but fans are going to complain about BS and hypocrisy, that’s life.

And I’ve seen plenty of playoff press conferences from Pop, Nurse, Doc, you know guys who have actually won a championship, laying into the refs after a poorly reffed playoff game, and then seen those teams get better calls in the next playoff game.

Joe and Brad never complain, and it might not change anything, but what isn’t changing is the crap calls this team gets with no one from the org stepping up, so the players are the only ones left.

Well said!

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2023, 04:09:13 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

In defense of Brad and Joe and other team officials, it must be said that we don't know if they are complaining or not at organizational levels and just not letting the public know for whatever reason. But absent any knowledge of that we have to assume they aren't, which is what makes it even more frustrating.

To me the frustration is less with bad calls which will always happen with humans making the calls, but more so with the fact that there doesn't seem to be accountability. We don't see people getting demoted to the G league for bad calls. The NBA sends out its last 2 minutes thing but we don't know if action is taken with that. In England's Premier League, referees that make enough egregious mistakes are demoted and this is made known by their Independent Key Match Incidents Panel, which is chaired by a former referee and is independent of the league. This type of transparency makes it easier for both players and fans to see that the officials are actually held accountable.

Now for players, I agree they shouldn't complain about refereeing decisions, especially in the heat of the moment. It doesn't do any good, because the ref not only won't change his mind, but might end up using his power to punish the player like what happened with Jaylen. Or like what's happened with Jayson and Gwill, they get a rep as being whiners and the refs are on them as soon as they open their mouth. And as a player you have to learn to suck it up and overcome adversity, which includes the officials.

But for fans? We're sitting on our couches or in front of our computers, of course we're going to complain  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2023, 04:12:39 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Improve the oversight of refs. Create more ways to review plays. Create more accountability with inaccurate refs, including training.

Whining about calls is never a good look.

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2023, 05:32:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

In defense of Brad and Joe and other team officials, it must be said that we don't know if they are complaining or not at organizational levels and just not letting the public know for whatever reason. But absent any knowledge of that we have to assume they aren't, which is what makes it even more frustrating.

To me the frustration is less with bad calls which will always happen with humans making the calls, but more so with the fact that there doesn't seem to be accountability. We don't see people getting demoted to the G league for bad calls. The NBA sends out its last 2 minutes thing but we don't know if action is taken with that. In England's Premier League, referees that make enough egregious mistakes are demoted and this is made known by their Independent Key Match Incidents Panel, which is chaired by a former referee and is independent of the league. This type of transparency makes it easier for both players and fans to see that the officials are actually held accountable.

Now for players, I agree they shouldn't complain about refereeing decisions, especially in the heat of the moment. It doesn't do any good, because the ref not only won't change his mind, but might end up using his power to punish the player like what happened with Jaylen. Or like what's happened with Jayson and Gwill, they get a rep as being whiners and the refs are on them as soon as they open their mouth. And as a player you have to learn to suck it up and overcome adversity, which includes the officials.

But for fans? We're sitting on our couches or in front of our computers, of course we're going to complain  :police:

LeBron and others have been yapping their way to a favorable whistle for years.

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2023, 05:33:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Improve the oversight of refs. Create more ways to review plays. Create more accountability with inaccurate refs, including training.

The NBA has done nothing about this and it gets worse every year. Jaylen had never been ejected before and he gets a crap whistle.

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2023, 05:47:09 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

The NBA has done nothing about this and it gets worse every year. Jaylen had never been ejected before and he gets a crap whistle.

Yeah, the Celtics can’t do any of those things, only the NBA can. And the NBA has long prioritized controlling the flow of games vs cleaning up refereeing, so none of these things ever get done. I highly recommend checking out the Donaghy podcast “Whistleblower.”

I did not watch all that much honestly, but in my limited viewing the Olympics FIBA refs had both the game, and some fairly petulant NBA players, more under control in about 3 weeks of action, than NBA refs have achieved in perpetuity.

The product seemingly could be improved if the desire was there, but it isn’t. At every turn, Silver caters to casual fans. This leaves die hards like us, on the Jason Voorhees of sports forums, p---ed off.

To Ozgod’s point, we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, but we see the product unnecessarily sucks at times and we are tired of devoting time, love, and for some of us significant coin, into a franchise and then watching bush league hijinks like this.

But we love basketball and want to see it played at the highest level, so we are effectively held hostage by Scott Foster and Tony “The Turtle” Brothers.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2023, 06:04:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Yeah, the Celtics can’t do any of those things, only the NBA can. And the NBA has long prioritized controlling the flow of games vs cleaning up refereeing, so none of these things ever get done. I highly recommend checking out the Donaghy podcast “Whistleblower.”

I did not watch all that much honestly, but in my limited viewing the Olympics FIBA refs had both the game, and some fairly petulant NBA players, more under control in about 3 weeks of action, than NBA refs have achieved in perpetuity.

The product seemingly could be improved if the desire was there, but it isn’t. At every turn, Silver caters to casual fans. This leaves die hards like us, on the Jason Voorhees of sports forums, p---ed off.

To Ozgod’s point, we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, but we see the product unnecessarily sucks at times and we are tired of devoting time, love, and for some of us significant coin, into a franchise and then watching bush league hijinks like this.

But we love basketball and want to see it played at the highest level, so we are effectively held hostage by Scott Foster and Tony “The Turtle” Brothers.

I agree with you on the Olympics FIBA refs, They were great. That was the fairest whistle I've ever seen.

Oh, and don't forget about the great Marc Davis!