Author Topic: Celtics Should Draft Poku Man!  (Read 4801 times)

Celtics Should Draft Poku Man!
« on: August 08, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Aleksej Pokusevski (Poku) really interests me.  It seems every other year or so, an intriguing Euro 7 footer is in the draft.  Dirk.  Darko. Zinger. Bender.  Win some, lose some.

Check out his tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaTyP_DzaiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgJwV06pV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnH3gHnOeO0

Measurements: 7' Height, 7'3" Wingspan, 200 lbs weight.

Pluses:  Great handle, floor vision, passer, weak side defender, decent hip mobility so switchable on defense.

Minuses: Weak league (Div 2 Greece, same as Greek Freak), shooting percentages pedestrian, very light (should weigh 20-30 lbs more).

This guy has the highest upside of anyone in this draft, IMO.

I see his role as point forward, similar to Ben Simmons, but with much better upside in terms of shooting.

Given that we have 3 first round picks, this guy just makes so much sense. Could stash him for a year if necessary, due to roster availability.

Would like to know your thoughts. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 01:12:40 PM by footey »

Re: Celtics Should Draft Poku Man!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He has a 1st round guarantee from a team according to some reporting. If he is a single year draft and stash C's should draft him. I would use Bucks pick and not Grizz or C's picks as he is risky. We all saw what happened reaching for Yabu to work the cap. He hurt the team both cap and roster wise his whole run. Select talent according to their potential don't reach on if they can be a stash player.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Poku man .... sounds like a video game

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
He has a 1st round guarantee from a team according to some reporting. If he is a single year draft and stash C's should draft him. I would use Bucks pick and not Grizz or C's picks as he is risky. We all saw what happened reaching for Yabu to work the cap. He hurt the team both cap and roster wise his whole run. Select talent according to their potential don't reach on if they can be a stash player.

This Masslive article may be dated, but suggests that if we want him we will probably have to use the Memphis pick. That he won't be available in the 20's.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/04/nba-draft-rumors-2020-aleksej-pokusevski-7-foot-serbian-star-declares-for-nba-draft.html

I get your thinking, but where the player is very high upside, you sometimes have to roll the dice.  That is what the Bucks did with Giannis.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 01:24:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I couldn't find any site saying he had first round guaranty.  Do you have link?

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would be up for it. He's a 7 footer with some guard skills and actual length (7'3 wingspan). His main weakness is just a complete lack of strength (200 pounds), but he's also super young and wont even turn 19 until late December so thats a little less concerning to me. You could draft and stash him for a year easily.

Ringer draft guide has him at 17.
NBA draft room at 11.
Sam Vecenie at 23.
Tankathon at 20

So there appears t be a fairly like divide on where he goes, but with 3 first round picks  think its okay to take a gamble.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:12:45 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yeah he won't be there at 26 or 30...

I really hope for Patrick Williams...but if he's gone ok. 

Actually would be a nice pair of players to have.  P. Williams at 14, then trade picks 26, 30 and some addition (Carsen and or Tremont plus second rounder?) to move up to 20 or so and take Poku.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Doesn't seem outrageous to use the MEM pick on him, but that is obviously a risky proposition. If we are worried about roster space and salary, it would make a ton of sense, but as Csfan points out - Yabu. Love the idea of a stash with one pick and a trade for future pick with another. We have some young guys that we need to see more of before bringing in multiple rookies.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I couldn't find any site saying he had first round guaranty.  Do you have link?
It was on a mock draft show believe a mock site rep that was on it said it. Don't recall the episode but believe it was CBS one

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The game is getting faster, hence the league is getting smaller. Pokusevski is close to 7 feet tall. Unless he can play at C, then I don't think he will ever become an NBA-caliber player. Right now he's way too slim to play at C. Imo, he's 2 years away from being 2 years away.

- He ain't explosive enough to play D on the perimeter. I bet things will only get worse once he puts on more weight.
- The prevailing opinion is that he's super long. 7'3 wingspan sounds great, but it's nothing special for a 7-footer (I believe his exact height is 6'11.5").

Wouldn't take him with the Memphis pick. If he slides all the way to #26, then sure, why not? Don't think it will happen though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:09:45 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
This year draft is not as strong so why not take a chance..have 3 picks anyway in 1st round, so just stash him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Just a caveat about comparisons to taking Yabusele at 16 a few years ago:  Yabusele was mocked typically at the beginning of the 2nd round or the end of the 1st so was a much more dramatic 'reach'.

Pokusevski is mocked at the ends of the teens so is currently rated fairly close to where the MEM pick is.  It would not be anywhere near the 'reach' that Yabusele was.

Of course, that begs the question of how much faith one puts in the various mock drafts.

I personally need to see more before I form an opinion on him.  I have to admit I have not done as much pre-draft this year as prior years.  Life has been busy with ... other concerns.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 01:08:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
The game is getting faster, hence the league is getting smaller. Pokusevski is close to 7 feet tall. Unless he can play at C, then I don't think he will ever become an NBA-caliber player. Right now he's way too slim to play at C. Imo, he's 2 years away from being 2 years away.

- He ain't explosive enough to play D on the perimeter. I bet things will only get worse once he puts on more weight.
- The prevailing opinion is that he's super long. 7'3 wingspan sounds great, but it's nothing special for a 7-footer (I believe his exact height is 6'11.5").

Wouldn't take him with the Memphis pick. If he slides all the way to #26, then sure, why not? Don't think it will happen though.

You seem to assume that being 7' tall makes him a stiff. In fact, you watch the tape, he moves very well latterally, which is why I find him very intriguing.

I also see his height as a huge advantage as a passer. He literally can look over the top of the defense to find the open player.  Many of our best passers (Bird, Lebron, Walton, Magic, Jokic) use their height to great advantage as passers.

I see him playing a point forward role. Kind of like Gordon Hayward, only taller and longer. He has a real "feel" for game like Gordon. 

Criticizing his wingspan as only 7'3" seems like a bit of a reach, no pun intended (well, actually...)

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 01:19:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You seem to assume that being 7' tall makes him a stiff. In fact, you watch the tape, he moves very well latterally, which is why I find him very intriguing.

I also see his height as a huge advantage as a passer. He literally can look over the top of the defense to find the open player.  Many of our best passers (Bird, Lebron, Walton, Magic, Jokic) use their height to great advantage as passers.

I see him playing a point forward role. Kind of like Gordon Hayward, only taller and longer. He has a real "feel" for game like Gordon. 

Criticizing his wingspan as only 7'3" seems like a bit of a reach, no pun intended (well, actually...)

Pass for me

Too skinny and jump shot needs work. Low release

Last years Spurs pick Luka Samanic is a better version

Take Patrick Williams or Jaden Mcdaniel at 14-17 and call it a day

At 26 I like Dotson or Josh Green

30 Scrubb

46 Hopefully Nick Richards is still available.  Could be a good backup for Timelord.  Agile, rim protection, easy dunks, can make FTs

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 08:26:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Aleksej Pokusevski (Poku) really interests me.  It seems every other year or so, an intriguing Euro 7 footer is in the draft.  Dirk.  Darko. Zinger. Bender.  Win some, lose some.

Check out his tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaTyP_DzaiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgJwV06pV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnH3gHnOeO0

Measurements: 7' Height, 7'3" Wingspan, 200 lbs weight.

Pluses:  Great handle, floor vision, passer, weak side defender, decent hip mobility so switchable on defense.

Minuses: Weak league (Div 2 Greece, same as Greek Freak), shooting percentages pedestrian, very light (should weigh 20-30 lbs more).

This guy has the highest upside of anyone in this draft, IMO.

I see his role as point forward, similar to Ben Simmons, but with much better upside in terms of shooting.

Given that we have 3 first round picks, this guy just makes so much sense. Could stash him for a year if necessary, due to roster availability.

Would like to know your thoughts.

Hands down the toughest player in this draft to project.

my big questions,

- how much weight can he add to his Brandon Ingram like frame?
 - even if he adds 35lbs who does he defend in a playoff series vs the current Bucks? Healthy 76ers, Raptors? Giannis, Simmons, Siakam will be to strong/quick for him and Embiid, Gasol, Lopez will run him over.
 - how does he handle being defended by an NBA wing? Does the athleticism and length of the typical 6'7 NBA wing neutralize Poku's unique guard like skill set?

My bottom line,

At the Memphis pick 14-17 I want a little more certainty. While not a strong draft the end of the lottery could yield a nice guard prospect or P Williams who while also a project has a clearer path to the NBA given his physical skills. After that pick I have no issue with the Cs taking a shot on Poku with the understanding that he is likely a bust.

My one question for the Poku lovers,

If Jaden McDaniels was playing in the greek 2nd division and Poku was playing for Washington how that effect their rankings?

Granted McDaniels is a year older but both will likely have to play the swing/4 in the NBA and will need to gain weight. The last measurements for Mcdaniels from 2018 had him at 185lbs but Washington listed him at 200. This puts his measurements in line with Tatum's. 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet