Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread  (Read 63789 times)

Re: Griz Working Hard To Convey Pick
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Griz beat the Suns tonight.

So now the Griz are just a half game behind the Pels for the #9 pick.

Looks like the Griz are really trying to win every game so that their 2019 pick will go to Boston this year.

Is the #9 pick more valuable than a potential 2020 top 6 protected pick or 2021 unprotected pick?

Let me look into my crystal ball 8)

Joking aside, getting the 9 pick would be either a great trade chip or would land us a pretty good player. Depending on which mock draft you read, the following talent could be available at no. 9, all of whom sound very intriguing.

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford

100% the unprotected.  Just look how hard it is to acquire a 1st in a deal these days, when they used to be thrown around in trades like footballs just a few years ago (see Larbrd's post on the Jeff Green transactional saga).

The mere possibility that the pick could land top 5, top 3, #1 makes it more valuable no matter what actually happens, and we'd have tons of time to trade it while it still has that potential and thus inherent value.
It might or it might not.  I mean Boston has seen this first hand.  Remember when the Nets picks were just going to be some late 1st's, didn't work out that way, however, remember when Boston was getting a top 5 pick from the Kings, without some lottery luck that isn't happening either.  Teams have gotten better about recognizing the uncertainty and valuing that uncertainty accordingly.

For Memphis, having the pick conveys gives them a lot more future flexibility as they can go into full bore rebuilding and not worry about having to give up a pick, so if does convey that is what I'd expect them to do.

You’ll have to save that argument for someone else, I wanted to trade the sacto pick + Rozier + Morris this summer (specifically for Bulls pick / Wendell Carter cuz I didn’t think we could get Jaren Jackson Jr) and posted it on this site dozens of times. Go find it.

That’s why you deal the pick then, when it has the allure of #1 and is worth a ton more. Do you invest? This is asset management 101.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I can understand those that disagree, but I think we are better off getting the number 9 pick this year than having it roll over. Draft night teams fall in love with a player that drops to that range. It is a lot easier sell than “maybe a better pick down the road.” If it is an AD trade giving the pelicans another two lottery picks to go with their own and a stud like Tatum really jumpstarts the rebuild. They can probably get another lottery for holiday and they are basically rebuilt overnight

100% agree with you.  The #9 pick has great value either as the pick itself or in trade.  And I believe that the value of a #9 pick this year is higher than an at best #7 next year (when in all likelihood it won't be conveyed at all), and a completely unknown pick in 2020-21. 

I believe that GMs will view the possible unprotected '20-'21 pick as one that could convey in the top 5 but could also be a high-lottery or non-lottery pick.  In other words, Memphis could be horrible in 2020-21, but maybe not.  #9 is a bird in hand.

With lottery picks GMs think upside, not bird in hand. That’s why it’s so hard to deal for a top 5 pick without another, but not nearly as hard to acquire a top 5 pick that panned out even starting a year later. It’s like a car losing 1/3 of its value after its driven off the lot. You just have to flip the upside asset at the right time. DA can/would.

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2018-2019 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
washington beats denver tonight to go one game ahead of memphis in wins

« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2019, 10:49:59 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
I can understand those that disagree, but I think we are better off getting the number 9 pick this year than having it roll over. Draft night teams fall in love with a player that drops to that range. It is a lot easier sell than “maybe a better pick down the road.” If it is an AD trade giving the pelicans another two lottery picks to go with their own and a stud like Tatum really jumpstarts the rebuild. They can probably get another lottery for holiday and they are basically rebuilt overnight

you make some good points and i’d like to think so as well (especially the nights memphis wins) but for what it’s worth the C’s want the pick not to convey this year

« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
Valanciunas just turned his ankle pretty bad, doubt he'll be back this season

« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2019, 12:16:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Valanciunas just turned his ankle pretty bad, doubt he'll be back this season
Dang. Sucks for him. He'd been killing it for them. Hopefully it doesn't hurt him long term, but I also hope that if the pick doesn't convey this draft then he can put up empty numbers for them and still make them lose ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #261 on: April 01, 2019, 06:20:52 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Looks like the Griz are really trying to win every game so that their 2019 pick will go to Boston this year.

Is the #9 pick more valuable than a potential 2020 top 6 protected pick or 2021 unprotected pick?

Joking aside, getting the 9 pick would be either a great trade chip or would land us a pretty good player. Depending on which mock draft you read, the following talent could be available at no. 9, all of whom sound very intriguing.

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford

100% the unprotected.  Just look how hard it is to acquire a 1st in a deal these days, when they used to be thrown around in trades like footballs just a few years ago (see Larbrd's post on the Jeff Green transactional saga).

The mere possibility that the pick could land top 5, top 3, #1 makes it more valuable no matter what actually happens, and we'd have tons of time to trade it while it still has that potential and thus inherent value.
It might or it might not.  I mean Boston has seen this first hand.  Remember when the Nets picks were just going to be some late 1st's, didn't work out that way, however, remember when Boston was getting a top 5 pick from the Kings, without some lottery luck that isn't happening either.  Teams have gotten better about recognizing the uncertainty and valuing that uncertainty accordingly.

For Memphis, having the pick conveys gives them a lot more future flexibility as they can go into full bore rebuilding and not worry about having to give up a pick, so if does convey that is what I'd expect them to do.

You’ll have to save that argument for someone else, I wanted to trade the sacto pick + Rozier + Morris this summer (specifically for Bulls pick / Wendell Carter cuz I didn’t think we could get Jaren Jackson Jr) and posted it on this site dozens of times. Go find it.

That’s why you deal the pick then, when it has the allure of #1 and is worth a ton more. Do you invest? This is asset management 101.
It is only a bigger asset if people think it will be a bigger asset.  My point was, time and time again we are seeing picks not end up anywhere near where people thought they would.  That uncertainty makes the value a lot less then it might ultimately end up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #262 on: April 01, 2019, 07:35:57 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Bummer about JV getting hurt. His play had really given me hope the pick would convey this year.

The pick conveying this year will make it more valuable than if it remains an unknown asset, which is important if Ainge is trying to trade for Davis this summer.

« Reply #263 on: April 01, 2019, 08:53:44 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford

It is only a bigger asset if people think it will be a bigger asset.  My point was, time and time again we are seeing picks not end up anywhere near where people thought they would.  That uncertainty makes the value a lot less then it might ultimately end up.

Your point is 100% correct, I agree, but I think league transaction trends show that GMs are pie in the sky when it comes to draft picks.

The allure of possibly getting a top 3 pick without paying the true cost of a top 3 pick (which basically no one can afford) is too great.

You don’t agree?

« Reply #264 on: April 01, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This year, next or the year after... We got this pick for Jeff Green. Found money.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Can't remember just how we got this pick or LAC's either

« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149

« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This one was for Jeff Green.

The other was for a couple of second rounders. Memphis gave us the pick they got from LAC for Jeff Green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2019, 09:59:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford

Your point is 100% correct, I agree, but I think league transaction trends show that GMs are pie in the sky when it comes to draft picks.

The allure of possibly getting a top 3 pick without paying the true cost of a top 3 pick (which basically no one can afford) is too great.

You don’t agree?

I agree with you, particularly if no one floats their boat at the 9 pick in this year's draft.  The possibility of an unprotected #1 pick from a franchise that is rebuilding has more value to most GM's. 

« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

-Bruno Fernando
-Jaxson Hayes
-Jarrett Culver
-Rui Hachimura
-Romeo Langford

You don’t agree?
Current picks with its draft position being known will almost always have more value than a future pick.  The NFL has been showing this to be the case for years and years.  Obviously I'm not talking about an end of the 1st round pick, but a pick in the top 10, even 9 or 10, I'd say has more value than a potentially higher pick 2 years in the future.  The unknown in who will be in the future draft alone decreases the value of a pick significantly, as does the potential draft position, the delaying of the player for 2 years, etc.  If you could guarantee a top 3 pick in 2021, then sure that would have more value than 9 this year, but you can't guarantee a future draft position.  heck even if Memphis is the worst team in the league leading up to the 2021 draft, they might end up with the 5th pick with the new lottery rules. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip