Author Topic: Cavaliers May Beat Us In A Potential Bidding War For Anthony Davis  (Read 12346 times)

Re: Cavaliers May Beat Us In A Potential Bidding War For Anthony Davis
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Just another Doom and Gloom thread by Phantom.  I guess our new team played to well in the preseason that we have to look for other things to worry about.

Right... so I'm really the Dan Shaugnessy around here, huh?  :P

I tend to be more optimistic around here but also realistic as well. Didn't realize I made a ton of doom and gloom threads on here though lol.

I don't notice you being particularly doom and gloom. This thread seems particularly bizarre though because Cleveland has one of the least tradeable rosters in the NBA. Lebron and IT are completely untradable. They have no young prospects and one probable lottery pick. The New York Knicks would be a bigger threat. Really don't get this thread.

The Knicks could be another threat, I agree, but what can they offer besides draft picks while trying to keep Porzingis?

Also, CLE can offer Love as salary, the Nets Pick, some 2021 first rounder (likely post-Lebron so could be valuable pick) a nice piece like Crowder and maybe a nice young piece like Zizic? Not a horrible package and could be enticing if BKN pick lands Top-3. They may also be able to take back a bad contract from Pelicans and offer a Shumpert I believe (which could entice NOP to deal with CLE also).

Why would anyone want to play for CLE once LeBron bolts?  if he has any sense he would not go there.  It is not a basketball town unless they are winning.  It is pretending that they are basketball town but once they stink again it won't be.

Thank god for your common sense.

I think if CLE acquires Davis, it would mean Lebron stays for good in CLE.

Might mean a weaker bench/depth but Lebron would be foolish to leave the situation still in CLE IF AD is coming.

Phantom your making no sense here. Love is on the back half of his career and is making top dollar. If the pelicans decide they have to blow it up and start over (which says nothing of their 150 million investment in holiday) the last thing they will want to do is invest in a fringe all star nearing decline. When are you envisioning this trade happening? I think you could make a compelling case for 20 teams in the league offering a great deal for Davis. Cleveland is less likely then all of them... let's discuss some more reasonable ones

Part of the reasoning is that teams will have to send salary back, and between Horford and Love, teams like NOP would probably prefer Love. By next year Love is also an expiring I believe (player option 5th year)

Again I don't think an AD trade gets done this season anyways and it's something to monitor (we also have time to see how Tatum and Brown do). If he does get traded it won't be until next summer at earliest (if Pelicans suck this season too).
The Pelicans also could theoretically determine that Cousins and Davis aren't a great fit, but go the optimization of value route and re-sign Cousins and then trade Davis for other pieces.  In that type of scenario, acquiring someone like Love to play with Cousins would have some merit as would swapping out players like Hill and Moore for players like Smith and Shumpert.  Add in the BKN rookie and the Pelicans have a remade, but still solid team with Cousins, Love, Holiday, Smith, BKN, etc.

You spend an incredible amount of time thinking of ways to help Cleveland

I wonder why...  ;)
Come on now, I didn't start this thread, I merely posted in it along the premise of the thread.

I just don't see why New Orleans would trade Davis without also unloading its flotsam.  That would absolutely be a requirement I'd put on the trade if I was the Pelicans.  And that just makes dealing with Boston a lot harder unless Boston is willing to unload Horford (which it very well might).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2017, 12:24:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Just another Doom and Gloom thread by Phantom.  I guess our new team played to well in the preseason that we have to look for other things to worry about.

I tend to be more optimistic around here but also realistic as well. Didn't realize I made a ton of doom and gloom threads on here though lol.

I don't notice you being particularly doom and gloom. This thread seems particularly bizarre though because Cleveland has one of the least tradeable rosters in the NBA. Lebron and IT are completely untradable. They have no young prospects and one probable lottery pick. The New York Knicks would be a bigger threat. Really don't get this thread.

The Knicks could be another threat, I agree, but what can they offer besides draft picks while trying to keep Porzingis?

Also, CLE can offer Love as salary, the Nets Pick, some 2021 first rounder (likely post-Lebron so could be valuable pick) a nice piece like Crowder and maybe a nice young piece like Zizic? Not a horrible package and could be enticing if BKN pick lands Top-3. They may also be able to take back a bad contract from Pelicans and offer a Shumpert I believe (which could entice NOP to deal with CLE also).

Why would anyone want to play for CLE once LeBron bolts?  if he has any sense he would not go there.  It is not a basketball town unless they are winning.  It is pretending that they are basketball town but once they stink again it won't be.

Might mean a weaker bench/depth but Lebron would be foolish to leave the situation still in CLE IF AD is coming.

Phantom your making no sense here. Love is on the back half of his career and is making top dollar. If the pelicans decide they have to blow it up and start over (which says nothing of their 150 million investment in holiday) the last thing they will want to do is invest in a fringe all star nearing decline. When are you envisioning this trade happening? I think you could make a compelling case for 20 teams in the league offering a great deal for Davis. Cleveland is less likely then all of them... let's discuss some more reasonable ones

Part of the reasoning is that teams will have to send salary back, and between Horford and Love, teams like NOP would probably prefer Love. By next year Love is also an expiring I believe (player option 5th year)

Again I don't think an AD trade gets done this season anyways and it's something to monitor (we also have time to see how Tatum and Brown do). If he does get traded it won't be until next summer at earliest (if Pelicans suck this season too).
The Pelicans also could theoretically determine that Cousins and Davis aren't a great fit, but go the optimization of value route and re-sign Cousins and then trade Davis for other pieces.  In that type of scenario, acquiring someone like Love to play with Cousins would have some merit as would swapping out players like Hill and Moore for players like Smith and Shumpert.  Add in the BKN rookie and the Pelicans have a remade, but still solid team with Cousins, Love, Holiday, Smith, BKN, etc.

I wonder why...  ;)
Come on now, I didn't start this thread, I merely posted in it along the premise of the thread.

I just don't see why New Orleans would trade Davis without also unloading its flotsam.  That would absolutely be a requirement I'd put on the trade if I was the Pelicans.  And that just makes dealing with Boston a lot harder unless Boston is willing to unload Horford (which it very well might).

If I'm a bad team I would rather just hold those bad contracts and get back more young/pick assets. You have to hit a minimum salary floor regardless so you need to pay someone, and with no Davis you aren't a destination that free agents will go to so what use is cap space? Instead, why not get more picks/players, hold onto your overpriced veterans as "character guys" while you suck and wait their contracts out at which point maybe your youth has developed to make you an attractive destination. You could make the case NOP should be taking back MORE awful contracts to get picks in this scenario. Clearing cap space only helps if you can use it, NOP can't.

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I wonder why...  ;)

If I'm a bad team I would rather just hold those bad contracts and get back more young/pick assets. You have to hit a minimum salary floor regardless so you need to pay someone, and with no Davis you aren't a destination that free agents will go to so what use is cap space? Instead, why not get more picks/players, hold onto your overpriced veterans as "character guys" while you suck and wait their contracts out at which point maybe your youth has developed to make you an attractive destination. You could make the case NOP should be taking back MORE awful contracts to get picks in this scenario. Clearing cap space only helps if you can use it, NOP can't.
Of course they can use it, just like Philly and Brooklyn did when they were terrible. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I wonder why...  ;)

Of course they can use it, just like Philly and Brooklyn did when they were terrible.

Bath those teams used it to take on salary for draft picks. If you have the choice as a bad team to shed salary to in order to use that space to being on bad salary for draft picks, OR you can just ask the team for extra draft picks and keep your bad salary, why not skip the middle man? The celtics cab offer more draft picks than Cleveland, they don't need to take on bad salary.

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2017, 04:19:12 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Don't think NOP will be interested in Kevin Love, if they trade AD, they'd want either a young star or a promising young prospect + lottery picks. A 30 years old Love won't do much for the Pelicans.

They can do better by dealing with the Suns, Lakers, 76ers, or us.

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2017, 07:42:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I wonder why...  ;)

Lol I was just joking, and I do agree with that possibility (that Pels could build around Cousins if they chose to). It's probably not the best route, but could depend on how desperate the Pels are to get rid of some of the big contracts, and if AD gets frustrated with the organization too.

Not likely, but possible.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller