Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339502 times)

Re: Woj: Pelicans agree to trade Davis to LAL
« Reply #4230 on: June 15, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
The combination of AD and Davis, plus their other role players will be attractive. Kawhi is a different animal but he’s stated he wants to go home. Winning may have changed that but it’s still compelling to be able to go home and play wit that duo. I do think that one of this three ends up signing there - yes.

« Reply #4231 on: June 15, 2019, 09:02:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Have to see what protections are on the other two picks but very nice trade for the Pels.  Things go much better when you have a good GM.  Woj's ESPN article mentions the possibility of a pick swap too.  Ingram was my favorite in his draft so glad to see him off the Lakers. 

The Lakers may not have Max cap space.  Per Bobby Marks, the deal has to wait for July 30 for 32.5M.  If it is done before then, they'll only have 27.8M.  Both of those number are also dependent of AD waiving his 15% trade kicker (4M). 

« Reply #4232 on: June 15, 2019, 09:02:31 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It is my humble opinion that the player that should be drafted by the Pelicans at #4 is Jarrett Culver. 
Mark my words!!   8)

« Reply #4233 on: June 15, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
JMO, I don't think Kemba will go there, and Kawhi neither. I think Butler will be their FA.

« Reply #4234 on: June 15, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
It's a massive win/win for both sides.  Pelicans get an unprecedented haul for an expiring contract.  Lakers position themselves to have a Big 3 of LeBron/Davis/Kemba (or Butler or Kyrie)...  Lakers should be the frontrunners to win a title and the Pelicans will have one of the most exciting young teams in the league. 

I didn't see us outbidding that offer without giving up Tatum, Brown, Smart, #14, #20, #22, and the Memphis 1st - and that wasn't going to happen without Davis agreeing to stay long term and Kyrie agreeing to re-sign long term.

As far as the Celtics concerned - they are about to step into irrelevance, but it'll be fun to watch Tatum develop over the next several years.

Saw a rumor (idk how reliable) that there are three firsts and then a protected 2023 pick swap option

There is an additional swap with the deal, sources tell @ActionNetNBA.

The No.4, two more 1sts, (3 total 1sts) and one swap.

Yeah, the Pelicans can swap first-rounders with the Lakers in 2023, but there are protections.

https://twitter.com/alexkennedynba/status/1140045906357686273?s=21

« Reply #4235 on: June 15, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Say what you will, but if I were hiring an NBA agent - Rich Paul would be at the top of my list.  Dude is a complete savage. 

« Reply #4236 on: June 15, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
The worst thing is that this is going to embolden other players and agents to act in this ridiculous manner to get what they want.

This has been happening for a long time. Usually it is handled behind the scenes:

https://milwaukeerecord.com/sports/remembering-the-time-the-milwaukee-bucks-traded-kareem-abdul-jabbar/

« Reply #4237 on: June 15, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
It's a massive win/win for both sides.  Pelicans get an unprecedented haul for an expiring contract.  Lakers position themselves to have a Big 3 of LeBron/Davis/Kemba (or Butler or Kyrie)...  Lakers should be the frontrunners to win a title and the Pelicans will have one of the most exciting young teams in the league. 

I didn't see us outbidding that offer without giving up Tatum, Brown, Smart, #14, #20, #22, and the Memphis 1st - and that wasn't going to happen without Davis agreeing to stay long term and Kyrie agreeing to re-sign long term.

As far as the Celtics concerned - they are about to step into irrelevance, but it'll be fun to watch Tatum develop over the next several years.

Saw a rumor (idk how reliable) that there are three firsts and then a protected 2023 pick swap option

Yeah, the Pelicans can swap first-rounders with the Lakers in 2023, but there are protections.

So, per Windhorst and others it’s even worse than this. They’re calling it Nets/Celtics 2.0. It’s something like:

Players -Ball, Ingram, Hart

Picks - 2019 #4; 2021 1st; 2023 1st

Pick Swaps - 2022 Pick Swap; 2024 Pick Swap

If this is true, this is a HAUL for NOLA, and long-term this sets them up very well just like Boston after the Nets trade, especially with Lebron’s age and AD’s injury history. Those picks and swaps from 2022 on are almost assuredly going to be pretty good.

So, yeah, I’m completely fine not giving up anywhere near that much for what’s likely a one year rental.

« Reply #4238 on: June 15, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So, per Windhorst and others it’s even worse than this. They’re calling it Nets/Celtics 2.0. It’s something like:

If this is true, this is a HAUL for NOLA, and long-term this sets them up very well just like Boston after the Nets trade, especially with Lebron’s age and AD’s injury history. Those picks and swaps from 2022 on are almost assuredly going to be pretty good.

So, yeah, I’m completely fine not giving up anywhere near that much for what’s likely a one year rental.
Wow, that is a brutal package. No wonder Ainge got outbid.

My dream is for LA to be a lotto team next year, only for AD to leave in free agency.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4239 on: June 15, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

That would mean the 2021 and 2023 1sts are unprotected.  The Pels could also get a nice return for Holiday if they decide to trade him. 

« Reply #4240 on: June 15, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

That would mean the 2021 and 2023 1sts are unprotected.  The Pels could also get a nice return for Holiday if they decide to trade him.

Doesn’t sound like they want to trade him, but it does sound like they’re shopping the number 4 pick.

« Reply #4241 on: June 15, 2019, 10:26:04 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
It is my humble opinion that the player that should be drafted by the Pelicans at #4 is Jarrett Culver. 
Mark my words!!   8)
That's the rumors on who they'll take assuming they keep the pick. 

« Reply #4242 on: June 15, 2019, 10:26:50 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Good.

And I wager all 1000 tommy points that Lakers do not win the championship next season

Dude you only have 80 Tommy Points.

Can put me into the minus then. Lol

Shams: Anthony Davis had no interest in playing a single game for Celtics
« Reply #4243 on: June 18, 2019, 04:48:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

https://theathletic.com/1026128/2019/06/17/charanias-inside-pass-the-trade-offers-for-anthony-davis-plus-more-league-notes/

Anthony Davis had no interest in playing a single game for the Boston Celtics, whether that was a negotiating tactic to end up with the Los Angeles Lakers or not.

The Celtics still had interest in gambling on Davis in hopes they could convince him to re-sign in 2020.

The Celtics were open to discussing Jayson Tatum and the future first round pick they are owed from the Memphis Grizzlies, but not in the same offer.

Ownership of the New Orleans Pelicans believed for months that a mega offer would eventually arrive from the Celtics.

Did anyone really believe Davis was going to end up in Boston?
« Reply #4244 on: June 18, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
I never thought Davis was going to play for the Celtics even before his agent said they better not trade for him because he would only play for them for 1 year.

Frankly, I didn't want the C's to give up young players like Tatum or Brown anyway, especially with the way Kyrie was acting over the last few months of the season.   Kyrie wouldn't commit to being a Celtic so why would Davis think Boston was a good place to play?

I thought Ainge wanted Davis and would offer multiple players but was hoping that the deal would never be made.

Hope the Celtics sign Horford to a 3 yr deal.   Hopefullly Hayward will get back to being a very productive player.  The C's may have to tell Rozier he is the starting guard if Kyrie does leave.   

Read an article that the Commish is blind to the fact that players don't want to play in small markets.  A GM said the NBA has a big problem with the best players only wanting to play in big markets like LA.

MikeB