Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339720 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(latest rumor page 202)
« Reply #3795 on: June 13, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
@arye_abraham
https://twitter.com/arye_abraham/status/1139229111312797696?s=21
A source within the Lakers organization not authorized to speak publicly has confirmed to me that an Anthony Davis trade WILL get done. It is a matter of whether it comes in the form of a 3-way trade or not. LAL/Pels have spoken constantly over past 48 hrs exploring final details

https://twitter.com/arye_abraham/status/1138996944225722368?s=21
BREAKING: I’m told that the Boston Celtics will NOT trade for Anthony Davis without an assurance from Kyrie Irving that he will return to the Celtics, sources say. This eases the path for the Lakers to land Davis.

As mentioned 2 days ago (see timeline) — the Wizards/Lakers/Pelicans have discussed a 3 team trade on several occasions.
https://twitter.com/arye_abraham/status/1139225022965268480?s=21

« Reply #3796 on: June 13, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That guy doesn't have the best sourcing or track record on this FWIW. Just look at this timeline during the Anthony Davis saga in February/January.

« Reply #3797 on: June 13, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
@arye_abraham
https://twitter.com/arye_abraham/status/1139229111312797696?s=21
A source within the Lakers organization not authorized to speak publicly has confirmed to me that an Anthony Davis trade WILL get done. It is a matter of whether it comes in the form of a 3-way trade or not. LAL/Pels have spoken constantly over past 48 hrs exploring final details

https://twitter.com/arye_abraham/status/1138996944225722368?s=21
BREAKING: I’m told that the Boston Celtics will NOT trade for Anthony Davis without an assurance from Kyrie Irving that he will return to the Celtics, sources say. This eases the path for the Lakers to land Davis.

As mentioned 2 days ago (see timeline) — the Wizards/Lakers/Pelicans have discussed a 3 team trade on several occasions.
https://twitter.com/arye_abraham/status/1139225022965268480?s=21

And if this is really true...it goes against everything we have heard and seen about Ainge. We have been told time and time again that he will trade for AD as a way to help convince Kyrie to stay...not the other way around.

But if this is the path, then so be it. Draft/trade some of the picks and let's go.

« Reply #3798 on: June 13, 2019, 02:54:48 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Saw this from a poster on RealGM:

The rumor this morning out of LA is that the Pelicans supposedly rate Kuzma the best of all the Lakers' "assets", to the point that LA could keep the fourth pick and draft Garland (a Rich Paul client) if they put Kuzma in the deal.

Again I still don't see what the big deal is about Kuzma (IF this is in fact true)

well out of pick 4, Ball and Ingram Kuzma is probably the best.

That isnt praise for Kuzma.

« Reply #3799 on: June 13, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Ingram is a better player than Kuzma, the issue is his health which really sucks. The entire Kuzma thing is a tactic by LA t keep a last minute concession in their back pocket. They're also leaking how incredibly valuable he is lately at the same time.

« Reply #3800 on: June 13, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
That guy is an alleged laker insider.  His claim to fame was when he was 16 he followed dwight howard around, bribed doorman and reported his findings on twitter.  Apparently these tactics helped him "break" the story that Howard would sign with Houston.

I wouldn't put much stock in it.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/07/05/how-teenager-arye-abraham-became-the-go-to-source-for-dwight-howard-news/

« Reply #3801 on: June 13, 2019, 02:59:18 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
And yet again, I really dont even care anymore.

I am more than resolved to watching the team of Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Horford and draft picks grown together.

I really dont care if Irving and Davis are here or not.

Will I be upset if next years lineup is Irving/Davis/Horford/Hayward and 1 of brown or tatum. hell no.

Will I be upset if next years lineup is the above mentioned. Nope...

« Reply #3802 on: June 13, 2019, 03:00:48 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I'm fine giving up Brown, Hayward, Smart and all the picks but no to Tatum unless Davis signs an extension. Tatum should be pulled off the table if Davis is just going to be a rental. No Kyrie, no Davis, but still have Tatum in the fold i can live with that.

He's not going to sign an extension. Even if he commits verbally, he's not signing an extension. There's too much money to be made to do that.

That's fair. In that case, they can have everything they want other than Tatum or Ainge walks away. Trading Tatum for an AD that has no intention of staying past 1 season is ludicrous. If Ainge was not able to sell Kyrie on coming back, there's no way he will be able to convince AD to come back either. Ainge should just focus his efforts on trading for a point guard to replace Kyrie.

Trading anything involving good players or picks at all for a one year rental is insane. At least Toronto got Danny Green in the Kawhi trade.

« Reply #3803 on: June 13, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Lots of supposed NBA insiders on twitter who live in LA (or are Lakers fans) staked their claims to the AD deal being done in February. They were all just guessing trying to strike fame if they happened to be right and either deleted their old tweets or spun how the NOP were operating in bad faith due to Ainge or yadda yadda yadda.

So you'll see that brand of BS pop up again over the next two weeks, also lots and lots of fake Woj/Shams/etc accounts.

« Reply #3804 on: June 13, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm fine giving up Brown, Hayward, Smart and all the picks but no to Tatum unless Davis signs an extension. Tatum should be pulled off the table if Davis is just going to be a rental. No Kyrie, no Davis, but still have Tatum in the fold i can live with that.

He's not going to sign an extension. Even if he commits verbally, he's not signing an extension. There's too much money to be made to do that.

That's fair. In that case, they can have everything they want other than Tatum or Ainge walks away. Trading Tatum for an AD that has no intention of staying past 1 season is ludicrous. If Ainge was not able to sell Kyrie on coming back, there's no way he will be able to convince AD to come back either. Ainge should just focus his efforts on trading for a point guard to replace Kyrie.

Trading anything involving good players or picks at all for a one year rental is insane. At least Toronto got Danny Green in the Kawhi trade.

Toronto probably will also get a title out of it, which seems like a pretty good return.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3805 on: June 13, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Danny is a free agent as well.

I think their train of though was to get out from under the Demar contract.

Give it a run for a season, worst case they can run a rebuild, hopefully on the back of a big win. Like the Jays did decades ago.

« Reply #3806 on: June 13, 2019, 03:11:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Toronto probably will also get a title out of it, which seems like a pretty good return.

The thing I keep coming back to is this:

If you are genuinely a franchise that is all about winning titles at the expense of everything else, whenever you get a chance to add a MVP caliber talent, you have to do it if your team is not already a serious contender.  You have to take the risk.

Even if it's just one year, that's one year of title contention.  History says you probably don't compete for a title without a MVP caliber player on your roster.  MVP caliber players are very rare and very difficult to acquire, regardless of how many quality assets you have.

So from that perspective it makes complete sense to be willing to risk everything to add a MVP type player, even for a single season.  The downside isn't that scary to a "title or bust" team because there just isn't that big a difference between "fun and competitive team with lots of nice pieces" and "sparse roster left barren by trades for players who left after a year."  Neither one is winning a title.

This AD trade saga is a true test of whether the Celtics actually believe in the idea that the only thing worth aiming for is a title. 

If they don't want to pull the trigger on a deal, that tells you that they place at least some value on the idea of having a good foundation for building a sustainable, competitive team for the near future.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3807 on: June 13, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
This AD trade saga is a true test of whether the Celtics actually believe in the idea that the only thing worth aiming for is a title. 

If they don't want to pull the trigger on a deal, that tells you that they place at least some value on the idea of having a good foundation for building a sustainable, competitive team for the near future.
Yup. Them passing on Kawhi wasn't a true test because of their prior commitment to Kyrie and having locked onto AD as the MVP player to truly build around and using Kyrie to keep him.

Are they willing to go all in to try and win next year with AD? Because he truly is that level of talent, the kind you can win a title with if you have a quality roster around him as the best player on the team. Kyrie is all-nba and a great player, but he's not good enough for that.

« Reply #3808 on: June 13, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

The thing I keep coming back to is this:

If you are genuinely a franchise that is all about winning titles at the expense of everything else, whenever you get a chance to add a MVP caliber talent, you have to do it if your team is not already a serious contender.  You have to take the risk.

Even if it's just one year, that's one year of title contention.  History says you probably don't compete for a title without a MVP caliber player on your roster.  MVP caliber players are very rare and very difficult to acquire, regardless of how many quality assets you have.

So from that perspective it makes complete sense to be willing to risk everything to add a MVP type player, even for a single season.  The downside isn't that scary to a "title or bust" team because there just isn't that big a difference between "fun and competitive team with lots of nice pieces" and "sparse roster left barren by trades for players who left after a year."  Neither one is winning a title.

but Toronto really didnt risk anything,

They did not Like Demar's contract...so they were able to rob the Spurs. They didnt need Poeltl with Ibaka and JV both playing center, so they moved him.

And Kawhi is a more impactful player than Davis. If Toronto Added Davis I doubt they are playing right now.

« Reply #3809 on: June 13, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Anthony Davis is absolutely as impactful as Kawhi. He's a big and not a wing so it looks different, but he is right there. Davis on this years Raptors instead of Kawhi would be on the most talented roster he's even been on by a large margin.