Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339684 times)

Re: Per Woj: Celtics & Lakers have trade talks with Pelicans
« Reply #3705 on: June 12, 2019, 07:58:53 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Are we sure that Mrs. Benson will actually approve a trade to LA assuming that it is ultimately her call? Is it possible that they are just using LA to drive up the price?

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(latest rumor page 202)
« Reply #3706 on: June 12, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I've been pretty quiet about this stuff but here is my .02. I think AD wants to go to LA this year but if the trade doesn't go through LA is going to go after another max FA, likely Butler. LeBron, and Klutch, don't want to waste another year of LeBron's career waiting on another star.  If they do this they won't be able to sign a max FA, AD, next year.  Klutch knows that the only way to get AD to LA is to get him there now via trade or the window for an AD/LeBron team up is basically closed. The other thing Klutch is trying to do is not leave LAs cupboard bare so there are other assets that LA can use to acquire vets that LeBron wants to play with.

That said the Knicks and Nets would be in at next year if they don't get any star FAs this year.

« Reply #3707 on: June 12, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
A lot of Lakers fans seem to think NOP is just using LA as a bit of leverage in negotiations. Hence, all the leaks of players, picks and 3-team discussion talks from LAL's side while nothing on Boston, New York or anyone else at the moment. In fact, I don't think anyone has even provided an example or a hypothetical of what a 3-team deal could look like (as in, who is the 3rd team). That would add so much to the context of talks but for now, we have no clue. LAL might still be looking around.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3708 on: June 12, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Ainge brings AD in he's basically swinging for the fences. If ad comes in, we don't win a championship, then ad walks next year pretty much everything he's done since trading kg and pierce is rendered meaningless.

The thing is, if you take Ainge and co. at their word, they are all about winning titles and nothing less.

If the goal is truly to compete for a title at any cost, then it makes sense to go all-out to add an All-NBA 1st team / MVP caliber player.  Davis is exactly that.

So if they don't go all-out to trade for Davis and to keep Kyrie, then what was all that Danny has done since 2013 for, exactly?  Ostensibly, the plan was never to build a fun young team with a deep and balanced pool of talented players.  The plan was to compile assets to take a home run swing when the right guy became available, even if doing so was risky.

If they genuinely want to do anything it takes to compete for a title and nothing less is worth accepting, then if they don't get AD, they're probably looking at a major rebuild anyway.  They might as well just plan to go for a full on youth movement.  If they're serious about their "title or bust" attitude, a youth movement isn't much better than starting over completely.

Worst case scenario, they're sitting here a year or so from now with a relatively clean cap sheet and all of their own future picks controlled (assuming they don't throw their own picks into the AD deal).  That might not seem so much worse than having to lock in to the next 4-5 years with Brown / Tatum / Smart et al.

I'm not saying that above is the best way to look at all this, I'm just saying that if the team truly only cares about winning titles, this all makes sense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3709 on: June 12, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
I highly doubt this is the case, but what if Davis and Rich Paul actually don't mind Boston as a destination and are actually airing out the "one season rental" narrative to drive down the asking price so that Davis is surrounded by the best talent possible, whether it be in Boston or LA.

Boston could be like "we aren't trading Tatum and Brown" and the Lakers are thinking "we aren't trading Ball, Ingram, and Kuzma if Davis is gonna bolt anyways" which benefits Davis when/if he arrives at the team

« Reply #3710 on: June 12, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I know we're just operating off of whats being reported right now, but id temper your excitement about the possibility of making the trade without including Tatum.

i would think Danny is holding him out as the trump card at this point.  The Lakers are going to include Kuzma at some point and the Pels are going to go back to Danny looking for him to up his offer.

I think its cause he isnt going to give up Tatum for one year of AD period.

Agreed. DA isn't giving up Tatum and Brown for MAYBE a AD resign.

I'm sure this has been brought up to NOLA.

If LA dumps all their assets for AD, fine by me. Rather roll with the young guys than not have any.

im right there with you guys, but what we all want and would do and what dannys wants and would do are two different things

i bet Ainge willing to include either Brown or Tatum in the deal but not both.  He would prefer it to be Brown, which is why hes the only name we're hearing

but your guess is as good as mine

I am confident he would want to include Brown cause Brown spoke out against Kyrie this past season, and Kyrie is close with Tatum.

So better chance in keeping Kyrie if we add Davis and jettison Brown and especially Rozier
The more we hear the more it seems like Kyrie is gone regardless of what happens with AD or Tatum, refusal to include Tatum is really a hedge against kyrie leaving. In the end I think either Tatum is in the deal, or we aren't getting AD. This is a classic start low and win the deal with Tatum whole holding onto some picks type situation.

« Reply #3711 on: June 12, 2019, 08:10:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've been pretty quiet about this stuff but here is my .02. I think AD wants to go to LA this year but if the trade doesn't go through LA is going to go after another max FA, likely Butler. LeBron, and Klutch, don't want to waste another year of LeBron's career waiting on another star.  If they do this they won't be able to sign a max FA, AD, next year.  Klutch knows that the only way to get AD to LA is to get him there now via trade or the window for an AD/LeBron team up is basically closed. The other thing Klutch is trying to do is not leave LAs cupboard bare so there are other assets that LA can use to acquire vets that LeBron wants to play with.

I think this is all completely correct.  Klutch and co. are desperate.  They see the door closing on AD getting to join the Lakers, just as it did with Paul George.  They're trying to poison the well so that the Celtics won't seriously engage with the Pelicans on a trade.  They know a trade is going to happen very soon (ie in the next few days most likely) so they're putting out all the stops to try to prevent AD getting traded to BOS.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3712 on: June 12, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As always, Lakers in the mix and with the advantage.  Of course they get the lottery bump.  Of course they get the AD assurance of a long-term commitment.  Of course they can go all out while other teams have to worry about a 1 year rental. 

I say, as always, that the dream job in all of sports is the Lakers GM position.  You can be a complete fool, help lead the team to disarray and failure -- and still they are in contention every year for top 10 players.  The C's, for only a brief shining moment, were looking to be closer to contention than LAL.  And it all reverses in a flash, as inevitably it always will.

Never give up.

LAL has always seemingly had an edge - whether it was with the Star power of Hollywood OR with actual talent

But BOS always found a way to prevail.

We have the edge head to head in finals 9-3.

We have the overall edge in Banners 17 - 16.

What Danny has crafted - "IS" crafting - is the final roadblock to keeping LeBron and LAL from catching up to us.

He will succeed.

Never give up.

Wrong.  LAL have won only 10 Banners. 

« Reply #3713 on: June 12, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

I think this is all completely correct.  Klutch and co. are desperate.  They see the door closing on AD getting to join the Lakers, just as it did with Paul George.  They're trying to poison the well so that the Celtics won't seriously engage with the Pelicans on a trade.  They know a trade is going to happen very soon (ie in the next few days most likely) so they're putting out all the stops to try to prevent AD getting traded to BOS.

And danny being danny knows this...LA will not be able to sign AD next year if they sign a max FA this yr hence Danny will bite the bullet and trade for AD.
Lebron will be so bummed if no FA signs with him this yr because its another yr wasted.

« Reply #3714 on: June 12, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
I.e. Danny is just doing his job.  We knew this would be his top offseason priority.  He's positioned himself beautifully for an opportunity exactly like this and I don't see him passing up the chance to obtain a franchise player.  The only ways I see this not happening is if NO's price is unreasonable or or if AD refuses to commit to Boston long term.

In Danny I trust.

« Reply #3715 on: June 12, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

That said the Knicks and Nets would be in at next year if they don't get any star FAs this year.

Very astute point, TP.

« Reply #3716 on: June 12, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I highly doubt this is the case, but what if Davis and Rich Paul actually don't mind Boston as a destination and are actually airing out the "one season rental" narrative to drive down the asking price so that Davis is surrounded by the best talent possible, whether it be in Boston or LA.

Boston could be like "we aren't trading Tatum and Brown" and the Lakers are thinking "we aren't trading Ball, Ingram, and Kuzma if Davis is gonna bolt anyways" which benefits Davis when/if he arrives at the team

I promise you this isn't the case.

« Reply #3717 on: June 12, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Very astute point, TP.
thanks.

I'd like to add I think the  Celtics could trade AD at the trade deadline if the whole things goes badly.they might not get a great package bit I bet the Lakers or Knicks would pony up some picks
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:04:45 PM by Wretch »

« Reply #3718 on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:09 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
With possibly our whole backcourt (Irving - Rozier - Smart - Brown) leaving, those rumours about Conley might make more sense (and that would mean Hayward going). Although I expect Ainge to match reasonable offers for Rozier.

So that would make our team look like this (I assume Williams will be gone as well in a Davis-deal):

Conley - ? - Tatum - Horford - Davis

Bench: Rozier - Ojeleye(?) - Morris(?) - Baynes

I don't like it. If Kyrie leaves, I prefer counting on the youth.

« Reply #3719 on: June 12, 2019, 08:54:37 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
What I find interesting about the Woj "news" about the Lakers looking for a 3rd party dangling the #4  is that the #4 added to their usual package is still not enough for NO. So they're hoping to get somebody for the #4 that's enough?

Regardless of what all these mediots say, the Celtics still look like the top dog in this deal--and NO is looking around to find a better deal. But Ainge won't let them wait too long. He has other fish to fry--and he needs a response while Irving is still out there.

I would add that any commitment of Davis is irrelevant to this deal. There is too much history in dealing stars that pre-commitments don't make sense to either party.  It depends on how the chemistry works out.