Author Topic: Disney(ESPN)/Fox purchase - EDIT - Not so fast says Comcast  (Read 10769 times)

Re: Disney(ESPN)/Fox purchase
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 09:50:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So it looks like they reached a deal.  54.1 billion in stock and 13.7 billion in debt for a total price of 66.1 billion.

One of the interesting wrinkles, I hadn't thought about was that Fox sold its television studios (all 28 of them), but is keeping the broadcast network, which means Fox is going to have to buy all of its programming from other studios.  There is some speculation that Fox is going to go away from scripted shows entirely and just air unscripted reality type shows, talk shows, news, sports, and things of that nature that don't require an actual studio to create. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This might be the first step toward a new most dominant online streaming service for movies. Between Disney and Fox, you've got an incredibly diverse, and deep bench of movies and they can start streaming whenever they want.

And this is why Netflix was smart to start making as much original content as possible starting a few years ago because as more and more content creators develop their own services, Netflix is going to lose the rights to a lot of the big movies that people pay for Netflix to watch. I've seen some people mention The Punisher and Daredevil and the like but I think those are produced by Netflix so I don't think those would go anywhere else (although it's possible that production of future seasons could wind up elsewhere depending on how those deals are structured).

This could wind up being really interesting.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Still seems to be in limbo as Comcast is trying to raise the capital to outbid Disney.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/08/technology/pacific-newsletter/index.html

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Still seems to be in limbo as Comcast is trying to raise the capital to outbid Disney.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/08/technology/pacific-newsletter/index.html

Wow, I thought it was a done deal. Sounds like it could go on for a while now.

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
once there were around 50 major news outlets

now everything has emerged down wn to around FIVE ...

thats just not enough diveristy for me

All the chaneels for news sound the same ......one or two hate trashing talking about each other and their ideas.

so corp members sit on he boards of these five major news outlets ,  they sell their coorate agenda is pushed out as fact and there spin .....to cover political scandals, government corruption,  products that are not in the publics best interests.  Health spins ,  everything to control the population to suit them

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
We have a bidding war.  Comcast offered 65 billion today for the same assets that Disney offered 52.4 billion to acquire.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/13/media/comcast-fox-bid/index.html

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 04:27:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We have a bidding war.  Comcast offered 65 billion today for the same assets that Disney offered 52.4 billion to acquire.

Yeah, Comcast was waiting for the result of the AT&T-Time Warner suit.  This was not surprising — the question is whether Disney will counter.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78

Yeah, Comcast was waiting for the result of the AT&T-Time Warner suit.  This was not surprising — the question is whether Disney will counter.

I would think it's in their best interest to counter...especially with putting their own streaming service out there in the future, the Fox library would be a huge asset for them.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I would think it's in their best interest to counter...especially with putting their own streaming service out there in the future, the Fox library would be a huge asset for them.

I think it would be better to invest in new content.  With the resources Disney has, they shouldn’t be getting beat out by NetFlix and Hulu for the top new content.

Re: Disney(ESPN)/Fox purchase - EDIT - Not so fast says Comcast
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So Disney upped their bid to 71 billion and was able to get the government's approval by agreeing to sell the 22 Regional Sports channels i.e. the local foxsports channels.  So ESPN won't quite have the full reach after the sale, but overall the network improved its sports programming.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 09:34:25 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Pretty soon we're gonna have two mega-media companies (Comcast and Disney) owning literally everything. Not good for consumers.

These are strange times.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 09:36:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So Disney upped their bid to 71 billion and was able to get the government's approval by agreeing to sell the 22 Regional Sports channels i.e. the local foxsports channels.  So ESPN won't quite have the full reach after the sale, but overall the network improved its sports programming.

I wonder who will buy the RSN’s.  A major content distributor in the sports field, like CBS or Turner, or teams that are in those markets, like the Suns or Diamondbacks for Fox Sports Arizona?

Now that this deal already has DOJ approval, Comcast will have to pay a huge premium to outbid Disney, so I can’t see the bidding war continuing.